Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD5 BIOS update problem

Alibaby

GA-990FXA-UD5 BIOS update problem
« on: September 19, 2011, 06:15:38 am »
Hello its me again , the bios was updated from F3 to F5 using Qflash and was stable for about 2 weeks and then this morning the wife started the computer and it reflashed back to F3.

Is the MB no good or is it something I am doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 BIOS update problem
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 07:23:09 am »
Hi there,

Not sure why the BIOS has reverted to the back-up version as I haven't had this happen to me but it could be due to many things not just hardware.

The good news is, the dual BIOS is working and that is why it has reverted to F3. I would suggest that you reflash the BIOS to F5 and, once everything is back up and running you synchronize the main and backup BIOS chips.
To do this shutdown the PC
Start the PC and press and hold the "Alt+F12" keys during the POST Screen
The screen will go black and you will get a message about flashing the BIOS to the backup chip
Follow the onscreen instructions
Once the BIOS has been copied shutdown the PC wait 30 seconds and the restart.

You don't need to go into BIOS to make any changes after you have done this.

I should also tell you that it is easier to undertake this operation if you use a PS/2 keyboard rather than a USB version. If you are using a USB keyboard it can take several attempts of startup - press keys routine before it will work.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Alibaby

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 08:43:45 am »
Thanks for the info, will try it later on tonight and let you know what happens

TheNoof

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:06:59 pm »
I've noticed the issue about using a PS/2 over a USB keyboard.  Do you know why the USB is not initializing upon startup? 

For me, the issue is poignant as I have my main box in the basement and run cables up through the floor to my office, where I sit to do my thing.  I cannot get into the BIOS screen using my USB keyboard, so I have to go downstairs, hit the power button, wait for the keyboard lights to blink (on my PS/2 keyboard) and then hit the appropriate keys to get into BIOS.  Then I go back upstairs and resume using the USB keyboard. 

Why is the PC down stairs you ask?  Because my setup is rather large and I love a clean desk.  I have done the same with my PVR/Stereo/TV setup.  I control it all using an IR repeater.
--The Noof--
Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 02:22:55 pm »
@TheNoof

I wish I could do a bit of relocation with the main PC chassis nice idea if you have the space and cables to do it!

As to why the PS/2 keyboard starts before a USB one, I have no real idea but have always assumed it is just because of the way the hardware is being handled by the BIOS, possible alphabetically rather than logically. Or, because BIOS is a throwback to the early days of computing, the code writers still use a base code from a time when only PS/2 keyboards were available and have "tacked" on to it USB Keyboard/mouse support. But, as I said, I'm really not sure and I doubt you will find a definitive answer.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.