Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD3R - Random failure to wake from sleep after BIOS Update to FG1

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: GA-X58A-UD3R - Random failure to wake from sleep after BIOS Update to FG1
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2012, 09:21:39 pm »

Nice admission Nealab  :D .... shows character .... the UD3R is actually a fine board .... just got to know how to finesse them .

My editing machine has turned out to be a solid performer and is still going strong .... hard to retire things just aren't broke  :D

Credit where it's due though Lsdmeasap advice was instrumental to get you to here ... keep in touch, or start posting in other sections....nice people are always especially welcome.

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2012, 01:34:36 pm »
I've had around 10-12 hibernate/resume cycles over the last couple of days with no problems seen. That's no guarantee that it's fixed but it looks promising!

I can't say that I haven't seen people trying to help in other forums. Trouble is that it's difficult to take them seriously when it's blindingly obvious that they know even less about it than I do. It's been good to have a sensible discussion with people who both know a lot and are prepared to accept that there are still more things to learn. I've been playing with computers for about 45 years now and still playing :) but PCs aren't really part of the day job and it's difficult to keep up with the changes in hardware.

Thanks again and I'll drop in from time to time to update. A definite conclusion might help other people who pass this way via Google in the future.

But to finish, a small admission... Some few months ago I joined the forum under a different name (Oyster16) via a thread about USB3-related hangs. I had completely forgotten that I was already a member when I came across this thread via Google - didn't even realise that I had been to this forum before. That particular problem does not seem to have quite been satisfactorily resolved but maybe I'll go back to it if I can feel confident that the current problem has been fixed. I'll also do some research on disk controllers if I ever need SATA 3 speeds and forget the onboard 9128...

Great to hear!!  Hopefully that will continue and you can consider this solved!!

Thanks for your kind words!  And I do know what you mean about some trying to help when they shouldn't be, but at least they try I guess?  When I come across something I can't help with, I either say I can't help directly due to lack of knowledge, or I move along without replying and let someone else with more knowledge on the subject step in.

Link us to your other thread, if you are still having issues, and we'll see if we can help!  And of course be sure to come back in a few weeks on this thread and let us know for sure one way or the other if this can be considered solved for you!

Nealeb

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2012, 03:08:10 pm »
Quick update a week after I reconfigured the disks...

7 days, probably at least 3-4 resume/hibernate cycles per day, and it hasn't put a foot wrong when it comes to resuming. I should probably now go back to less frequent (more normal) cycles to allow a bit more time in hibernate state although from memory that didn't make much difference before.

Only one unexplained glitch and that was when the system hung and wouldn't respond to mouse/keyboard. However, that was after 4-5 hours of running so would appear to be unconnected and I'm quite prepared to put it down to random Windows/application behaviour. So there was one unscheduled reboot in the middle of the test period but again, that didn't seem to make much difference before - it had to be rebooted via the reset button whenever it crashed or hung and it still failed...

'Sfunny - both the fastest and slowest disk controllers on this board are suspect, but good ol' Intel carry the day!

Thanks for the advice,

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2012, 08:03:34 am »
Great to hear Nealeb!!  Hopefully you can consider this solved for good now!

Nealeb

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 08:11:57 pm »
With a bit of luck, my last post on the topic...

It's now two weeks from reconfiguring the disks and I have had no problems despite 3-4 resume/hibernate cycles per day. I have rebooted a couple of times in that period for other reasons but the system now looks pretty good. Time to wind the memory speed up to 1600 from 1066, and maybe look at re-enabling the USB3 ports.

Conclusion - don't use the Gigabyte/JMicron disk controller for the system disk on these boards...

Lsdmeasap

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2012, 07:36:09 pm »
Great to hear all is still working smoothly, and thanks for stopping back in for one more final update!

Diablito

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2012, 06:18:30 pm »
So, I've had this issue (they are actually 2 issues) since 2/27/2011.  After months and months of testing and money spent on a new power supply and a UPS neither of which fixed the issue, I'm here to report back on my findings.  I have logged my testing and have quite a bit of data by now.

There's no formal fix for this issue but there's a workaround and I came to a few conclusions:

1. Wake from sleep becomes unreliable once the PC is asleep for more than 2 hours.
2. The longer the computer sleeps, the more likely it is to have problems waking up.
3. FG is the least unstable BIOS and the only bios produced that fixes the (second issue) USB3 issue mentioned here:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3866.msg63791.html#msg63791
4. The FH bios re-introduces the aforementioned issue (USB3 hybrid sleep resume after powerloss fails)

My workaround:
Setup a scheduled task that wakes the computer every 2 hours. I set it to e-mail me, so I know it's happening. It then goes back to sleep 5 minutes later.

It sucks that Gigabyte never really fixed this but at least my computer has not failed to wake up this way since March 12 2012.

Good luck!