Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA770-UD3 rev2.0 Phenom II x2 550 ram issue

godheim

GA-MA770-UD3 rev2.0 Phenom II x2 550 ram issue
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:14:47 am »
Specs:
Proc. - Phenom  II x2 550
Ram -  2x2MB DDR2 Corsair dominator CM2X2048-8500C5D

Here goes, all worked for maybe a month, then BOD happen to appear (win xp, win7) at first all I did was just restart and all worked for maybe a week, two weeks, a month, totally random. But as time passed by, that didn't help anymore, long beep after power up if both sticks where insterted (single or double slots). If I test memory (both together) with memtest86 finds all sorts of errors (so does windows7 test), one at a time - no problems. So I sent them back to the shop where I bought them, they sent them further for the testing, no problem found on ram. So it has to a problem with a motherboard, which pisses me off as I really checked compatibility between units before I bought them and this memory is on motherboard support list.

Tried all sorts of different settings, voltage for ram and nothing helps, in general it will boot with both sticks maybe in 1 otu of 10 tries and even that is not stable. What is wrong with motherboard?

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA770-UD3 rev2.0 Phenom II x2 550 ram issue
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:25:34 am »
Hi there,

My first though is which BIOS version are you running? The latest is the FKD and if you are not running this version it might be worthwhile updating to it. You can download it from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3097&dl=1#bios

I would recommend that you use QFlash to update the BIOS and make sure you disable the "Keep DMI Data" Option before you actually run the update.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

godheim

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:29:30 am »
Tnx for quick answer :)

I tried that version of bios, no luck. Sadly I can't remember with which bios mobo came when I boght it because it worked at first and I can't remember if I upgraded bios at that time.

I tested FF and FKD bios version, both with no luck.

Oh, I'm on FF version atm since yesterday, before that FKD.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:31:12 am by godheim »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:38:42 am »
Have you tried an extended clear of CMOS?

If you check this post: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5621.msg45368.html#msg45368 Dark Mantis gives some good advice on how to do a proper extended Clear CMOS. If you follow these steps first then we have a good starting position to move forward from.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

godheim

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:45:06 am »
Hm, haven't tried it before, did short version with jumper.

Ok, will give it a go now :)

godheim

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 11:57:28 am »
Followed instructions to the letter, didn't help at all, same problems as before with both sticks (long beep, no video). Maybe with FKD bios version? Will it make any difference?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 12:15:06 pm »
Hi again,

If you can see the BIOS Screen then updating the BIOS might be the next  best step. I wouldn't jump straight to the FKD though and I would try each BIOS in order so, if you are still on the FF then flash to FG first and see if things improve before considering flashing to the next one, FI and so on.

If you do decide to update BIOS then I would recommend that you use the QFlash utility as this is the safest method and not the @BIOS software. Although it is not strictly necessary it might also be worthwhile disabling the "Keep DMI DATA" option before you actually flash the BIOS, as this will clear the current system settings and, if there is an issue there, it will  hopefully clear it.

If you are not sure of flashing the BIOS with QFlash please check here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.msg13929.html#msg13929

godheim

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 12:20:22 pm »
Hello

Sadly, with both sticks inserted, there is no way to get to the bios screen, only with one stick.
I actually thought about that, to go up one at a time (bios versions). Will try it now with next version on the list. And I never kept "keep DMI DATA" checked, by default it is unchecked.

kk, will go with Qflash now, before always used bios software, maybe there's a thing, who knows, anyway, will try it now.

godheim

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 12:30:50 pm »
Tried FG just now, same story, doesn't work. Oh, if it matters, cpu fan goes from low to high in intervals between beeps, sometimes it does so, sometimes not.

Will go to the next version now.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 12:33:24 pm »
Sorry but I should have asked earlier. What are your full system components?
Have you recently changed any hardware such as your Graphics card?

godheim

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 12:50:29 pm »
Yeah, I forgot to write it down also.

So

Motherboard - ga-ma770-ud3 rev. 2.0
proc - AMD Phenom II x2 550
ram - corsair dominator 2x 2GB CM2X2048-8500C5D
video card- Gigabyte HD 5570
psu- LC6600 V2.2
Windows 7 64 bit

And that's about it, no hardware change since I bought them.

Flashed next version of bios, all I noticed that now one stick of ram won't work even if it's single, funny thing, it hasn't been in use at all in month's.
And lost monitor driver somehow, not recognized in windows since last bios upgrade.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:51:40 pm by godheim »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 02:15:12 pm »
Hi again,

From the problems you are describing my gut is telling me that it is all down to the memory. I know you have had the RAM checked but, the memory controller is actually built into the CPU and I wonder if you have had this component checked as well. You could try running your RAM in single channel mode, as a test, to possibly see if one of the memory controllers on the CPU is faulty.

Of course, there could be a problem with the memory slots on the motherboard or another fault and you are getting to the point where you will not be able to do fault finding at home, unless you have some spare parts or a good friend with a similar AMD set-up, to swap components and test things.

I have no experience with your make of PSU but again, this could be a possible cause and it maybe the easiest option to test first, if you can get hold of a different one, just to try it.

godheim

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 03:01:33 pm »
Hello

Did some more testing, one ram stick doesn't work at all in any slot, single or in pair, so it has to be faulty, and unfortunately, can't test it anywhere :( So, in the end, I'm on single 2GB ram stick, at least it works :)

No haven't checked CPU, think there's nothing wrong with it, no other problems except ram issues, it's been really cool, doesn't get hot, same as PSU, doesn't get hot or loud, same as graphics card, the loudest thing inside is cpu stock cooler fan but in no way disturbing, with side panel on I can hardly hear it.

But there is an issue with northbridge, seem's to get really hot in couple of minutes, right after startup si getting to a point when you'll get burned if you keep your finger on for too long, haven't even payed attention till now, that's not a good thing I suppose?

Oh, and big thank's for all the help :)

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 03:14:38 pm »
Pleased you have finally seemed to locate the problem even if it is a faulty RAM module that has been tested and passed!  :o Just makes you wonder if you can trust what you are being told.

The Northbridge on this motherboard can get a little toasty but, so long as your PC Case has good airflow it shouldn't cause a problem. If you are concerned you can always do a little modding and add a small fan to direct air onto the area. This has proved effective for other users.

godheim

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 03:43:03 pm »
Yeah, so true about testing, in the end, it is possible that mobo and ram modules are not totally compatible. I've talked to technian in the shop where I bought all component's, he said the exact same thing. As for service firm, they wrote that they tested them for 5 hours with memtest86 and no errors, kinda believe them, as I said before, could just be compatibility issue even when they should be compatible.

Did some checking, all components are still under warranty, so i'm just gonna take them all back and they can test it all as it is, no use taking just ram modules back, gonna be the same result as before and hm, I'm not sure if I'd even wan't them replaced with same brand :)

Yes I gotta do something about that, 5 seconds and finger will get burnedif pressed lightly on heatsink, a bit too hot I think. Found one old pentium II proc fan, quite small and with little modification should fit on heat sink :) I'll get on to that as soon as I sort out issues with ram.