Official GIGABYTE Forum

Ongoing USB 3.0 problems: X58-USB3

Malf

Ongoing USB 3.0 problems: X58-USB3
« on: August 02, 2011, 02:43:42 am »
Hi there!

After wasting countless hours trying to get USB 3.0 working, the time has come to give up.  I would say that I have devoted 100 hours to trying to get it to work, without success.  It would seem that it is a battle that I cannot win and I can't waste no more time on it.  I guess I just have to pursue other options.

I built my system back in March.  The motherboard is GA-X58-USB3 with Intel i7 960 CPU.  I have 18GB Corsair Vengeance RAM and a Nvidia GeForce Gt 440 1GB graphics card.  My system was purpose built for running Adobe photoshop.  USB 3.0 was part of the decision process as I need it to back up my extensive catalogue of images to external removable drives.

Unfortunately I am unable to get USB 3.0 to work.  I initially purchased a USB 3.0 dual docking station and after frustratingly trying to get it to work for 3 days, returned it for refund.  I experienced two problems.  Sometimes it would connect to USB 3.0 but after 1-2 minutes would disconnect.  Other times it would try to connect and then a message would pop up stating that the drives needed to be formatted.  Everything however worked fine when connected to USB 2.0 and USB 2.0 devices worked fine when connected to the USB 3.0 ports.  Through all of this, I updated motherboard Bios, did a firmware update to the NEC bios and updated drivers to latest versions.  Nothing changed.

After a few months of seeking an alternative backup solution I purchased another brand of USB 3.0 docking station after reading about known problems with the Vantec unit previously purchased.  Once again I experienced the same problem.  I contacted Gigabyte and was instructed to flash the motherboard bios to latest version.  I now have the newest motherboard bios, NEC controller bios and drivers and I still cannot get USB 3.0 to work.  It now just comes up with a message stating that the drives need to be formatted.  As before, the docking station and drives are working fine in USB 2.0 and USB 2.0 devices are working fine in the USB 3.0 ports.  The do not need to be reformatted.

In addition to everything above, I also tried a USB 3.0 add-on card.  It too had an NEC controller and exhibits exactly the same problems.

Motherboard bios version - f5a
NEC Driver version - 2.1.19.0
NEC Firmware Version - 3.0.2.8.0.8

Anyway, not knowing what more I can do, I thought I would post my ongoing problem here in hope that someone can offer a solution.  Otherwise, I have no option but to consider alternative solutions, which may involve another brand mother board.

Cheers, Malf
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:08:56 am by runn3R »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Ongoing USB 3.0 problems: X58-USB3
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:07:17 am »
Hi and welcome.

As with any new technology/upgrade there are always bugs and a learning curve to be summounted. The one thing I have noticed in particular is that the Renesas driver is unforgiving when updating and wont work properly if there is any sign of the previous driver there. Make sure that all vestiges of the original driver are removed from the system with something like DriverSweeper first and then install the latest driver. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:40 am »
  Malf! My little fotoshop Mate......Good to see more image makers on the forum!

I concur with DM on what he stated re absolutely no trace of the previous driver can be left pri to the new update being installed and something I learnt the hard way......... must be a clean boot to flush all of the drivers after a driver delete before the new install.

I can only assume your version1 board is similar to my version 2.......if after trying this latest intel it still wont play ball.......try stripping as many toys as possible off your rig, even a ps2 board if you have one kicking around

these boards are Genius for CS5 as you can see from my signature, .... but can be temperamental to configure when connected up to lots of new toys at once........start with one......get it stable.......connect another.......

A lot a people dismiss Firewire as well.......it's pretty fast too!........ or you can just wait it out till the bugs have been ironed out.

Hope this helps.......

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Malf

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 03:48:55 am »
Dark Mantis & Aussie Allan,

Many thanks for your advice.  I installed DriverSweeper this morning and removed the Renesas drivers as well as my add-on card.  After a clean installation USB 3.0 is now working.  I cannot believe it is something as simple as removing the driver and having a fresh install. 

Anyway, even though it has connected to USB 3.0, I am finding that it is disconnecting after some time of inactivity (1-2 hours).  At least it is a step in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Malf. :)

Malf

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 06:52:22 am »
Well, even though I am now able to connect to USB 3.0 it is proving to be unstable and disconnects all the time.  I do however feel more positive because at least I can connect now.  I will post again if I get it stable.

Malf

ps Aussie Allan, you may like to check out my website.  www.spotlightonasia.com

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:28:39 pm »
I am happy that you have now at least finally managed to get the USB3.0 installed and running albeit not stably. Do let us know if you get any joy out of it in the end though. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:29:13 am »
Well, even though I am now able to connect to USB 3.0 it is proving to be unstable and disconnects all the time.  I do however feel more positive because at least I can connect now.  I will post again if I get it stable.

Malf

ps Aussie Allan, you may like to check out my website.  www.spotlightonasia.com

......Malcolm.........Didnt forget about you mate!..... been on Holidays with the kids for a week down at Polzeth beach......No, nothing like were used too......still makes me laugh seeing everyone, and I mean EVERYONE on the beach running around in black wet-suits like 300lb stranded seals.

Good to hear you had a win on the USB ports.....another couple of things you can try is...... under windows performance/power management.....turn everything you can get your hands on to "High Performance/power user".......Turn off the sleep feature unless you really want it/need it...... some people have posted a win with turning off Mass storage support (USB) in BIOS

And the drives you use need to be full fledged drives, ....Definitely not "Greens" or even "Blues" if you can help it......it's all about total control and these drives have there own firm that can play havoc for Photoshoppers throttling speeds and even trying to turn them off when not being used.....USB3 really hates anything interfering period

You're operating in a great part of the world besides OZ...... I spent 4 weeks in Thailand last may......Spent 2 weeks on Phi-Phi Don, Phi-Phi Lay (island)
then two weeks on the mainland around Puket........Thank god for photobank portable!........came back with almost 6000 RAW images.......about a third , 3 and 5 Brackets for HDR.....You're doing some nice HDR, keep it up.

Will Have to look you up when back in OZ next year..... some excellent shots in the gallery...... I'm currently mixed up in the club circuit myself in the Chilterns as a Competition Sec..........No one has heard of CIR-PL over here.....Figures!...... Man I miss home

Aussie Allan
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 12:43:00 pm by Aussie Allan »
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone