Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-890GPA-UD3H Raid controller dead?

Bucky

GA-890GPA-UD3H Raid controller dead?
« on: August 10, 2011, 06:36:29 am »
Ok I've had my Gigabyte motherboard for almost 2 months working perfectly. But just today I turned on my PC, and got into windows. As it was loading the applications I ended up getting a BSOD. It was my first BSOD I ever had on my motherboard. It was a BUGCODE_USB DRIVER error. So I decided to reboot my PC to see if I can fix it.

It loaded it up, and went straight to the "loading operating system" and it just stays there with a blinking cursor. So I thought to myself that the order of the boot got messed up. I went into BIOS, and checked the boot priority which was the same way I left it, and untouched since the two months. The only thing I found out was that my hard drives were not showing up as detected on the bios.

So I removed the CMOS battery from the motherboard, and got back the settings to normal. It defaulted to IDE and showed all my drives. So I thought great it should work now. I found out I was wrong. I went to the raid settings, and set the sata to raid instead of native ide. I rebooted, and still did the same "loading operating system" and blinking cursor.

So the confusing part now is either there is something wrong with the raid or the motherboard. This is where I need some help, and advice. The raid shows up  when it's scanning on the post screen with the Micro devices. It says it's functional etc.. but it does not show in the bios, and neither will load to the operating system. 

I tried repairing the boot sector with the windows recovery but it could not detect any of the drives unless I have it on IDE.

I hope this board is not a dud, and I was so happy to have it. Please let me know if you have another alternative to detect my drives so I don't have to go through the trouble of buying a brand new motherboard. 

Thanks

Bucky

Re: GA-890GPA-UD3H Raid controller dead?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:19:31 am »
Ok I was just fiddling with the BIOS setting after 6 hours. And I set the native ide to raid, set it to sata type and disabled raid 5, and now it works? weird...

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-890GPA-UD3H Raid controller dead?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:01:02 am »
Hi,

pleased you got it sorted and what can I say.....it's a computer and they all seem to have minds of their own!  :P

I'm not really sure why the system threw a tantrum and gave you a BSOD or why, after you cleared CMOS and tried to reset BIOS things didn't register properly, but it is easy to overlook things especially if you are not regularly playing around with the BIOS settings.

If you have updated the BIOS to a newer version there could be an issue between the different BIOS versions that you have on the BIOS chips, the main BIOS holding the newer version and the Back-up Chip holding the original version. Just in case this is the cause you can get the two BIOS chips to match by pressing the "alt" & "F12" keys when you start up the PC (like you would press the "Del" key to get into BIOS). It may take several attempts of starting the PC and pressing the keys before it registers, depending on your keyboard but once it has registerd you will get a warning about BIOS flashing (sorry, can't remember the exact wording) but don't worry this is normal but DO NOT turn off the PC during this process. Once the Main BIOS has been written to the back-up chip you can restart the PC.

If you want to check which BIOS versions you have on each BIOS chip, then go into BIOS and on the Home Screen press the "F9" Key. This will bring up a diologue box that shows you system information and it should show you the BIOS versions too.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.