Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-890GPA-UD3H: PCI Express to SATA II HOST controller

Pirk

GA-890GPA-UD3H: PCI Express to SATA II HOST controller
« on: September 15, 2011, 01:27:37 pm »
           Hello,

Can somebody explain what is it? And why every time i boot i get this (look picture).

I thought it was boot priority for DVD- ROM...

Thanks for your time.  ;)

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-890GPA-UD3H: PCI Express to SATA II HOST controller
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 02:00:08 pm »
Hi there,

I haven't come across this one before but it could be something to do with the fact that your DVD Drive is an older IDE type rather than one using a SATA connection.

It might be worthwhile checking in BIOS that the Onboard GSATA/IDE Ctrl is enabled and that the Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode is set to IDE.

If everything is working fine, then the message is more of an annoyance than a problem. You don't say what revision your motherboard is or what BIOS version you are running so it is hard to say if updating the BIOS would help.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Pirk

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 02:41:23 pm »
it could be something to do with the fact that your DVD Drive is an older IDE type rather than one using a SATA connection.
   Interesting.
It might be worthwhile checking in BIOS that the Onboard GSATA/IDE Ctrl is enabled and that the Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode is set to IDE.
   Will check it out. But will changing SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode anyhow affect my HDD, which is SATA?
If everything is working fine, then the message is more of an annoyance than a problem.
   Yes, everything is working fine.
You don't say what revision your motherboard is or what BIOS version you are running so it is hard to say if updating the BIOS would help.
   I`ll try to find out.

Thank you

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:47:16 pm »
Will check it out. But will changing SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode anyhow affect my HDD, which is SATA?
Yes, it could do but I am hoping that, whoever put your system together installed the HDD on the other SATA controller.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Pirk

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 03:19:57 pm »
Yes, it could do but I am hoping that, whoever put your system together installed the HDD on the other SATA controller.

It was me.  :) I just put hdd into the blue port.

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Enabled

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl mode AHCI

Thank you, sir

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:21:58 pm »
Pleased you have solved it!  ;)

Pirk

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:37:11 pm »
Pleased you have solved it!  ;)

I did not, this is the setings I`ve found. But I will just leave everything alone since it is probably my old dvd-room treated as SATA II... No problem... Just curiosity.
      thank you for fast replies, have a nice day.  :)  :-*

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 03:52:02 pm »
Hi again,

I did not, this is the setings I`ve found. But I will just leave everything alone since it is probably my old dvd-room treated as SATA II... No problem... Just curiosity.

Sorry I misunderstood and thought you had the solution.

It is better if you run your DVD Drive in IDE Mode.
From the model number it seems as if your DVD Drive is an older IDE model that uses the old ribbon connector. If this is the case then you need to set the Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl to IDE not AHCI Mode this should stop the message appearing (from your image above) when you start the PC. This setting also affects the way the 2 GSATA ports (the White ones on the motherboard) not the other SATA ports (blue ones).

Pirk

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 04:02:58 pm »

It is better if you run your DVD Drive in IDE Mode.
From the model number it seems as if your DVD Drive is an older IDE model that uses the old ribbon connector. If this is the case then you need to set the Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl to IDE not AHCI Mode this should stop the message appearing (from your image above) when you start the PC. This setting also affects the way the 2 GSATA ports (the White ones on the motherboard) not the other SATA ports (blue ones).

I am so lucky that you are helping me...  :o
    I`ll write you back with the results soon.   ;D

UPDATE:

It worked!!!

Thank you!
   P.S. I`ve already applauded you    :-*  ;)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:13:57 pm by Pirk »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 05:32:37 pm »
My pleasure to be of assistance and thank you for the PM and the karma