Official GIGABYTE Forum

1866 Corsair Dominator GT performing at 1333MHz on GA-890XA-UD3

sufo

Hi

I recently came into possession of a couple of 4GB Corsair Dominator GT sticks, rated at 1866MHz. I stuck these in my GA-890XA-UD3 in DIMMs 3 and 4, as suggested by the documentation. However, at POST, the RAM clocks in at 1333, this can be confirmed in the BIOS settings.

I noticed that these sticks are not on the list of approved 1866 modules, tho as far as I can tell, this list is not absolute. I did also notice that there are no 4gb modules listed at all.

So, why are these sticks not performing at full speed? Is it because they are not supported? Is it because 1333mhz is a limit for 4gb modules? Is there anything I can do about it? Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated - also, I can provide further details of my setup if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: 1866 Corsair Dominator GT performing at 1333MHz on GA-890XA-UD3
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 04:59:12 pm »
Before you go any further you should read this: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2515.0.html

If you still insist on running your RAM at it's rated speed then you will need to overclock it manually in BIOS.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

sufo

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 05:52:38 pm »
Thanks for pointing me towards your post, this is the information I was looking for. I'm not that fussed about running this RAM at its rated speed, esp if it could result in instability and/or damage to the memory controller. These sticks are destined for a newer build in the not to distant future anyway.

You do seem to mention playing with the timings a little for RAM that is underclocked. Do you have any suggestions in this area? What timings have you been able to get away with, and with which parts? My current timings, as reported by CPU-Z are available in the image below. I understand if you'd rather reserve judgement on this matter.

Thanks for your help on this.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 07:35:18 pm »
Hi again,

at the moment I have 16GB of Corsair Vengeance black running at 1333MHz with timings of 9,9,9,27 on my own system which is with a 1090T CPU and the GA-990FXA-UD5.

To be honest I am not currently overclocking anything on my system as, like you, I am really waiting for the new processors to come along. However, if you want to get a bit extra from your system you'd do better by increasing the speed of the CPU, which is quite easy if you have a Black Edition. You might to look through this post: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,3637.0.html where I go into overclocking a bit deeper.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.