Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55-UD6 no longer boots, POST code 26 (and now 50)

Mark

P55-UD6 no longer boots, POST code 26 (and now 50)
« on: October 05, 2009, 01:32:47 pm »
I (finally *) got WinXP installed on my GA-P55-UD6 board and I left it running overnight.

When I came to it this morning the monitor had no image, and the system didn't respond to mouse, keyboard, or ctrl-alt-del.

I shut the power off and restarted, but the monitor stayed in "sleep" mode (no video signal).

The post codes would show C1 (detect memory) then 25 briefly (early PCI init) and then would show 26 for several seconds and then return to C1 and start over.

I swapped the video card out with no improvement.

I pulled 2 of the four memory sticks out and (!!) on the next boot I got video!

Now it advances to 50 (init USB keyboard and mouse) and stops there.

I have a PS2 keyboard in the PS2 connector, and a USB mouse.  Unplugging the mouse did not help.

Yesterday I made it all the way through a Windows install, so I'm assuming that something went bad during the burn-in.

The fans are all connected, and the case is open.  Nothing felt or smelled warn this morning.

I've built at least a dozen computers but I've never had to RMA a motherboard.  It looks like this one may have to go back.

(*) it's not possible to install XP lower than SP2 on a board with PCI express.  That killed several attempts to install yielding an IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL_TO error.

Mark

Pottypete

Re: P55-UD6 no longer boots, POST code 26 (and now 50)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 04:20:55 pm »
Hi, Mark
Cant help with post indication
But regarding installing windows sp2 with pci express card,
A possible solution would be to use a standard PCI graphics card or the onboard graphics (if there is one) and install with  SP1 disk, then upgrade to SP2 and put the pcie card back in  8)
reguards
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:21:50 pm by Pottypete »

Mark

Re: P55-UD6 no longer boots, POST code 26 (and now 50)
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 04:58:35 pm »
It turns out that some of my DRAM was bad.

I've got two pair.  One pair boots, the other pair causes problems if it's primary or secondary.

So instead of returning the motherboard I'll be returning the memory.

Now I'm sitting at the Gigabyte driver disk setup "Please wait and do not press any key..."

It's got 2 ethernet controllers and a PCI video card still yellow, but no activity in several minutes.

Mark