Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55A-UD3 (rev 2.0) : SSD Question

P55A-UD3 (rev 2.0) : SSD Question
« on: September 25, 2011, 03:07:23 am »
Hi There,

(Bit of a noob when it comes to pc and hardware names but bare with me)

I just joined today to get some questions answered on my motherboard and ssd. I have a P55a-UD3 and i recently got a OCZ Agility 3 - 120GB - 2.5" SATA3 SSD .  My question is does the rev 2.0 version of the motherboard fully support the max read / write speed of my SSD ? and if not what other motherboards can you recommend for me to get to support it.  -- After speaking with a friend as well i was told to wait for the next series of motherboards too,  would that be better for my ssd or wont make a difference.

After reading a few things on the SSD i heard it can actually be damaging if you dont allow it to run at its full potential so now im curious to see what i can do.  I also understand that benchmarking can damage the drive as well which ive only dont twice. The last thing i will be doing is trying the sata3 port and running the test one last time and seeing if it makes a diff. If not ill leave it as it was.

I wont do anything unless i get a reply though just to be sure.

Cheers.

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: P55A-UD3 (rev 2.0) : SSD Question
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 08:20:12 am »

Sadly, ....like me you have a board that has the Marvell 88SE9128 controller chip .... as far as SataIII 6Gb/s .... turned out to be the industry joke!

every board manufacturer got bit! ... your Intel sataII connectors will actually outperform

You also had good advise in don't run to many benchmarks .... one of the better ones for SSD is ATTO, ....designed and built for SSD

your SSD is rated at about 500MB/s and the Intel ports, being SATAII have a theoretical limit of about ........500Mb/s.......you may not get to the top figure ,....but you will get closer then using Marvell ports.

Recommendations:

Put your optical (DVD) on the Marvel port in IDE

Put the SSD in to Intels ICH10(R) port and hopefully you loaded OS under ACHI  (I"m assuming here) so put it under ACHI for best performance

As far as damage to SSDs unless full speed is achieved, .... never heard of it before .... was he a salesmen for motherboards :D

Interestingly I am waiting for the new X79 motherboards and LGA2011 CPU myself .... but you will have to by both as 1155 as far as I know will be left behind with the Z68 and lower boards

The only way you can get full performance on your present setup is adding a quaility PCI-E raid card,.... they can be as expensive as the motherboard and then some depending on your tastes.

I use Highpoint RocketRaid 640 PCI-E card ....... Bootable, 4 ports, (Ultimate performance) ....1 or 2 drives connected as this card carries 2 Raid/controllers chips ......JBOD, raid 0, 1, 5, 10, 50, ..... I know someone with 2 of your drives (in raid 0) on one of these cards for 960Mb/s average on a X58 board .... way cool!

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage