Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte GTX 570 Ultra Durable - OC Problem

danvis

Gigabyte GTX 570 Ultra Durable - OC Problem
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:53:01 pm »
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Gigabyte GTX 570 Ultra Durable GPU card and I'm having troubles OverClocking it. It all began with a simple run of Heaven (with the card at factory clocks) and I saw that the results were really disappointing (avg of 34FPS in compare to an avg of 43FPS which I saw on a benchmark, using the exact same settings). I thought to do a little OC, since the card is built with much better cooling system. I brought it up around 70MHz to the followed ones (can also see it on the Afterburner PrtScn):

Core - 799, Shader - 1598, Memory - 2105. All of that at 1V.

When I tried running Heaven again with those settings, it failed after about 15 seconds, turned the screen brown, distorted the sound and then turned the screen off. When I tried running 3DMark11, it also failed. I'm adding the 2 reports.

I tried testing the card in a game using Witcher 2 with all the settings on high (except MultiSampling) I had an avg of 50 FPS, the card reached 63 degrees max and everything was fine. Resolution of 1900X1200 btw.

Can anyone help me understand why such a minor jump of 70MHz, with more than enough voltage and without the card overheating is still failing? what can I try? This is my first try at OC ever, btw.

Thanks!

EDIT: I tried running 3dMark11 again and this time encountered the following error: 3DMark 11 has lost exclusive access to display and/or keyboard, benchmark run has been aborted. This can be caused by third-party applications running in the background. Please close any potentially interfering applications and restart benchmark.
The only thing that was running was CPUID in order to check the temps of the card during the test.

After that I activated GPU-Z and noticed that the values are back to their original. Could it be that Nvidia control panel is interfering?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Gigabyte GTX 570 Ultra Durable - OC Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 02:50:54 pm »
Hi

I am no expert on these cards as I prefer to use the AMD Radeons but from what I have seen on the forum here I think you might need just a little more power. Have a search of the forum for this type of card and see what others are running at, I seem to remember that a lot found that just over 1v was better. Good luck.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Grozdan

• Eternal Power above all
    • GDHardver
Re: Gigabyte GTX 570 Ultra Durable - OC Problem
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:57:43 am »
Try running tests without overclocking the card (and increasing the voltage). If that fails as well, then find yourself another computer to test your card - brother/sister, friend... preferably some one with different platform (if you have AMD, try on Intel). This way you'll be sure if the problem is your graphic card or some software on your computer...

If your graphic card runs fine on another computer, try reinstalling your OS and then try those tests without overclocking and if it goes smoothly try OC but a small chunks at the time...

I'm saying all this because any GTX 570 should achieve your kind of results even without increasing the voltage!
AMD PII X4 955BE feat. CM 212+ Push Pull, GB GA-790XTA-UD4, 2*2 GB Mushkin Silverline Stiletto, GB GeForce GTX 460 768MB Windforce 2, 2* WD 640 GB Black in Raid0, Seasonic SS-620GM, Silverstone Precision PS-05B Black, Samsung P2450H, Logitech G510 + G9 + Z2300 + X-530