Official GIGABYTE Forum

What drivers should I be adding to Windows XP Install CD for GA-990FXA-UD5

I am trying to install Windows XP Media Center 2005 on the system I just purchased this new MB for and am having constant problems.  I am going to try to upgrade the bios, but since this system does not have a floppy drive, and I currently don't have any to use in this machine, I have to rely on the USB, but the BIOS QFlash doesn't seem to want to see that the USB Drive is there.

But the main issue is I keep getting a STOP: 0000007b error which indicates there is an issue with accessing the hard drives in booting windows, if i understand correctly.  I am using the GSATA3 (????) Marvell controller in RAID 1 with 2 Seagate 320 GB Hard Drives.  There were no issues with these drives before with the previous Gigabyte MB.  I have never had so many issues with a Gigabyte MB and am becoming very frustrated.  I am thinking, maybe I am not adding the correct drivers to the Windows XP Install CD (Using nLite).  so if someone could PLEASE help me and identify which .inf files I should be adding to the Windows Install CD so I can rule out it is not a driver issue that is causing the Blue Screen of Death!

Thanks!

Ken Leaver, Jr
Lockport, NY

P.S. Did manage to update the BIOS to F5c, so it can't be an outdated BIOS issue.  I must not be including all the needed drivers in the modified Windows Install CD.  Any ideas?  The STOP: 0x0000007b error is still occuring.  I WANT to have these two drives in a RAID 1 Configuration.  The other controller handles the SATA Lite On DVD as well as (as soon as Windows XP is installed) a 5 Drive RAID 5 array as well.  But for right now I just want to get the OS working.  PLEASE if anyone can HELP I would greatly appreciate it! THANKS!  KDL
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:51:53 am by kleaverjr »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi there,

you might like to look through this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5704.msg45818.html#msg45816 where I go through the steps of setting up a RAID array on both the AMD and Marvell chipsets.

Personally I feel the Marvell ports are a little weak and would recommend that you use the AMD SATA Controller for your RAID Array.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately, in the end, i will need to use the Marvell Controller for the RAID 1 array because I need the AMD Controller fore the RAID 5 Array.  So it looks like i might have to buy a separate HD Controller then because I have 8 SATA devices!

Unfortunately, your review does not contain the most important piece of information that i am lacking and that is to verify I am including all the needed drivers for the Windows XP Install CD.  I know most people are with the times and using Windows 7 but I hate VISTA and have been told by many Win 7 is even worse.  Besides, I don't feel like spending more money on OS's when my entire network is all based on Win XP!

Ken L

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi Ken,

It has been a long time since I used XP so I'm not sure if you can use a USB Flashdrive to install the drivers during XP install by using F6. The other option might be to use a USB Floppy drive but I'm not sure if that would work either.

The drivers you need are the ones on the install DVD that comes with the motherboard and they are located in the folder: BootDrv \Marvell\RAID\Floppy32
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Those are the drivers I included, so it's not a driver issue.  Must be because that HD Controller is unstable.  Guess I will need to go out and buy a separate HD Controller.  I've never been disappointed with a Gigabyte Motherboard before....now I am VERY disappointed!

Thanks all!

Ken L