Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55-US3L - Erroneous double-entry of specific devices in Device Manager

forumjoe

Re: P55-US3L - Erroneous double-entry of specific devices in Device Manager
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 10:13:30 am »
DM et al,

I've solved the mystery of my monitor double-listing. It's not been due to the way I installed the monitor but is, in fact, down to a valid feature of the Matrox graphics card that I use.

The card is dual-DVI, ie. if required, it can drive two monitors simultaneously at a specified resolution. I happen to be using just one of the DVI outputs on the card, so there's a cable connection to the monitor on that particular output but nothing attached to the other output. Matrox have told me that, with cards having dual-outputs, it's possible that Device Manager will show the outputs as either 'PnP Monitor' (plug n' play) or 'Default Monitor', or a combination of the two. All monitors actually connected to the card are detected and displayed by Windows as 'PnP Monitor'. If no monitor is connected to an active output on the card, or a monitor simply isn't detected, it's listed as 'Default Monitor' (or sometimes 'Unknown Monitor'). As soon as a monitor is connected to an active output, it's seen as 'PnP Monitor'. Then, once the INF driver of the monitor is also installed, 'PnP Monitor' changes to the actual name of the monitor.

So, in fact, there's nothing wrong at present with the listing I have in Device Manager. It's correct.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 11:21:24 am »
Hi

So it was correct after all then. That's what I thought but I must admit you described the why much better. It is now easy for everyone to comprehend why it shows as it does.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

forumjoe

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 02:03:10 pm »
Yes, I'm pleased that the monitors mystery didn't turn out to be an installation problem or anything to do with the motherboard.

I guess there are relatively few people using two monitors or more these days off the one graphics card. Also, most people will, I suspect, have just one DVI output on their graphics card (although perhaps having other different types of outputs). So, this finding won't hold any significance to them. However, for those who happen to have two DVI outputs that can be run simultaneously and who may be puzzled when they see two listings in Windows when they happen to be using just one monitor, I trust that my explanation will put their minds at rest.