Official GIGABYTE Forum

Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm Fan Review (black and white)

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm Fan Review (black and white)
« on: September 04, 2011, 04:01:25 pm »
Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm black and white Fan Reviews

by Dark Mantis

As normal for Phobya products they come packaged in the usual "Fear it!" box that we are all used to seeing.These 180mm fans are not as popular yet as the 120mm and 140mm because the suitable fitments are not so abundant but I am sure that it is only a matter of time because they move a terrific amount of air whilst spinning very slowly and quietly which are big benefits. Certain cases make use of these bigger fans already some even up to 230mm.

These two fans are identical in every way but colour. For such large fans they are extremely slim at 25mm which is good as most in this size or larger are quite bulky items. These are both 180mm square and only weigh 215gms.

The bearings in these are a different type again from the usual Phobya "NanoFlux" bearings that they are so keen on. These use what are called "HydroDynamic" bearings that again do not suffer from oil leakage and are waterproof. The main difference from the users point of view is that these do not come apart easilly for cleaning unlike the "NanoFlux" ones. This is  a shame but I imagine that it is because of the size that their nano bearings can't be upscaled at the moment.

Both fans come complete with a set of securing screws and their power leads are already braided in the matching colour sheathing and are 50mm long. It is worth mentioning here that Phobya's braid is very good quality and unlike some is closely woven so it is not very see through at all. They are terminated in three pin molex fan connector plugs.

They have a starting voltage of 7 volts up to the standard 12 volts for top speed. Even on maximum speed of 700rpm the fans are absolutely silent at only 17dB/A whilst still pushing 56 cubic feet per minute of air which is hardly a small amount. They draw hardly any current especially for such large fans, the maximum of 0.13 amps. Phobya rate them as having a mean time between failure of 30,000 hours which is very respectable.

The fan casings are a little bit more solid than would be found on the smaller sized fans which is good. The fans themselves are exactly what you would expect from a good quality fan of this size. The price is very fair like most of Phobya's product range. There is nothing to let them down but there is also nothing to shout about either. Just does what it says on the tin!

I would award them 8/10

Supplier: C and C Central     http://www.candccentral.co.uk/    Price: £8.99

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 04:02:10 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3