Official GIGABYTE Forum

What are the four Audio Devices on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Motherboard?

OK,

First, i would like to say, if this was my first Gigabyte Product I ever dealt with, I would never purchase another one! I am VERY disappointed with this Motherboard, I have never in my over 20 years of building my own computers (starting with a 386 in 1991!) have had so many problems just with basic installation of a Windows OS.  Now, onto my current problem.

After installing Windows XP, I attempt, using the Gigabyte CD and/or the most recent downloads from Gigabyte (i have tried using them both!) there are still four "devices" that Windows Device Manager can not find Drivers for! What is aggravating is in a previous install, somehow Windows was able to find them, now it can't.  (I had to do a total reinstall, because for some reason, once I install the drivers for the PCI SATA Raid Controller, certain other applications/drivers can not be installed such as a DVD-ROM emulator) So this is most aggravating because it found the Drivers before, but now it can't.  IIRC, it showed up as a "AMD Device" once the drivers were installed.  has anyone else had this problem?  What are solutions FOR WINDOWS XP the 32 Bit Version.  Installing with a different OS is not an option. 

Thanks for any assistance.

Ken L.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: What are the four Audio Devices on a Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Motherboard?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:37:10 am »
Hi there,

From the details that you have posted it is very hard to say what the missing devices actually are. Could you post back with your full system specs?

I'm running this board with Windows 7 not XP and have not encountered any issues with Audio devices so it would also help if you could post a screenshot of Device Manager so we can see exactly what areas are causing problems.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 09:22:25 am »
OK,

First, i would like to say, if this was my first Gigabyte Product I ever dealt with, I would never purchase another one! I am VERY disappointed with this Motherboard, I have never in my over 20 years of building my own computers (starting with a 386 in 1991!) have had so many problems just with basic installation of a Windows OS.  Now, onto my current problem.

I too started back then when these computers were slightly more simple and that is the point. Everything work together much easier then and there weren't as many choices or different specs to consider.
Memory is a good case in point.  Years ago the boards would take RAM from any manufacturer and work without any problem ...not so now. I mean there are so many different specs to start with and then you have compatibility issues.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:23:07 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 02:13:15 pm »
My System breakdown is the following:

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9
GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N470SO-13I GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Tempoarily used on Marvell Controller until PCI Controller is installed after this mess is fixed!)
5x Recertified: Seagate Barracuda ES ST3750640NS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive in RAID 5 (AMD Controller)
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

Running Windows XP 2005 Media Edition. 

To Be Installed after this mess:

SYBA SY-PCI40010 PCI SATA II (3.0Gb/s) 4 Port RAID 0/1/5/10 JBOD Card

Could you do me a favor and go into "Device Manager" and look under Sound, Video and Game Controller (i'm hoping Windows 7 has Device Manager still to get this info) and tell me if there are four Audio Devices that are listed under something as AMD so I can track down where this driver might be.  What is peculiar is it installed earlier but not now! **HEADDESK**

Thanks again for any help!

Ken L.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 03:04:20 pm »
Hi Ken,

on my own system I only have a couple of Audio devices showing, one is my Delta1010 soundcard and the other is the HDMI from my Graphic cards (2xATI 6770's) in Windows 7 64 Bit. I have disabled the on-board sound on my PC so don't have the Realtek stuff installed but but the missing drivers it could be something to do with this on your system.

Is your OS installed on the RAID Array or on the drive attached to the Marvell Controller?

I can't do much reconfiguring for a couple of days but if it would help, I am prepared to do a clean install of Windows XP 2005 Media Edition (if I can get hold of a copy) and reconfigure my own system to match yours as closely as possible, to try and find out what is going on if we can't resolve the problem.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:14:24 am by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 04:19:44 pm »
I wouldn't want you to go through all that kind of trouble on my account. I'll just wait and hope someone else has some possible solutions to my problem.  I don't want to install the PCI RAID Controller it's impossible to install those drivers once I install the drivers for that so I guess i will sit and wait. 

Right now the OS is installed on the 320GB Hard Drive that is in IDE Mode at the moment.  Eventually that drive will be connected to the PCI SATA RAID controller card with its companion 320 GB HD so I can set up a RAID 1 Array.  I sure miss the older Gigabyte MB I had no issues with it, but that's in another computer now that I gave my parents as their MB and power supply got fried so I decided to upgrade my PC to a 6-core processor, and give them my old quad-core.  Perhaps that was a mistake :-\

Ken L

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 04:29:51 pm »
I'll keep an eye on this thread, in the hope that someone with a similar setup can help out.

But if there is no helpful response in the next couple of days, I have just got hold of a copy of Windows XP Home Media, from a friend and am quite prepared to do some testing for you.

geekyadz

• In the land of the geeks
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 05:25:50 pm »
As suggested earlier Im inclined to believe it is the HDMI out ports on your graphics card. I have encountered this on my desktop and on my sisters desktop. Windows found the drivers once the latest drivers for their cards was installed
Nothing to see here, move along....

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 06:52:37 pm »
As suggested earlier Im inclined to believe it is the HDMI out ports on your graphics card. I have encountered this on my desktop and on my sisters desktop. Windows found the drivers once the latest drivers for their cards was installed

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK! That was what they must have been.  I reran the install for the NVIDIA Graphics Card Drivers, and the four devices are now working! I must have ran the Realtek Audio drivers first that one time, which is when Windows detected these four devices, and then i ran the Graphics Driver install. 

Thanks again! Now onto installing the PCI SATA RAID Controller.  I still don't understand, though i doubt anyone could answer, why it is when I install this PCI Card, it prevents anything else that is PCI driven to not install.  AH well.  At least this is beginning to work now!

Ken L

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 07:20:56 pm »
Pleased you got to the bottom of the Audio devices issue.

I can't see from your spec's which BIOS version you are running but, if you are not running the latest F5 version then I would strongly recommend that you update to it (you can download it from here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3891&dl=1#bios as this could be the cause of your PCI issue.

It is better if you update using the QFlash utility NOT the @BIOS Software and it is also good practice to disable the "Keep DMI Data" option before you flash the BIOS.