Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-K8N-SLI No post/sporadic post

GA-K8N-SLI No post/sporadic post
« on: October 17, 2009, 08:33:57 pm »
About a year and a half ago my setup wouldn't boot untill I took out a stick of ram. Then it worked fine until it suddenly stopped POST'ing again. I fiddle about clearing cmos swapping out what I could until I gave up. I came back from uni recently and switched it on again for old times sake and Lo and behold! it POST'ed loaded and worked perfectly massive windows and steam updates and all was well...till i turned it off again. Now it will not POST.

Because of the memory issue I assumed it was the IMC on the athlon, so I got hold of another one, but still nothing. The PSU boots my Bros' dual core, I've swapperd GFX cards, the ram works in others boards.

Heres the thing I've noticed when I try and boot with no gfx or ram installed I get the no ram beeps, if I leave the ram in but no gfx I get the no gfx beeps.
 If I leave the gfx in but no ram I get nothing!

Is it the board? It was under warranty when it first started going wrong :(

Athlon64 3700+ and a 4000+
GA-k8n-sli
Hiper type-r 580w psu
Geil pc3200 (forget timings...the blue ones)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:40:22 pm by jimmylazers »

Re: GA-K8N-SLI No post/sporadic post
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 08:35:20 pm »
Tried with an XFX 6800gs XXX and an nvidia 7200 (I forget the brand) and never had any BSOD or any indication it would start doing this. Never been OC'd either.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 08:37:23 pm by jimmylazers »

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 10:23:00 am »
Have you got any other memory you can try? Tried running indivual sticks of memory/running a memtest? To me it does sound like a dead motherboard ???
There's no place like ::1

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 02:56:15 pm »
Yep tried every combination of slot/memory single stick and double. Haven't been able to test with other memory. But the memory I do have tests fine on other boards that support it. It's the extreme sporadic POST that has floored me. Ordered another mobo from the bay so I hope this proves conclusive.

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:12:43 pm »
Let us know how you get on  :)
There's no place like ::1

Pottypete

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 11:08:16 am »
Hi, Jimmylazers,
Your mobo may be less than 3 years old?,
Check your date code?,
It could be still in gigabyte warranty period, Yeh, If so RMA it! only cost you about a tenner for P&P
Regards