Official GIGABYTE Forum

The on going saga with this gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Board - Now It's freezing up!

OK,

I managed to get Windows XP install done and APPEARED to be fully functional.

HOWEVER, since I have started using this system, it freezes for 5-30 seconds at a time and then proceeds to function normally.  Everything else on this  system is the same as before except the MB and Athlon X6 Processor.  I'm hoping it is a BIOS Setting that I don't have optimized that is causing this system to malfunction like this.  One thing I notice is I have set the memory in the BIOS to be "Ganged" but it still posts as Unganged.  Could this be part of the problem?

Windows only reports 3.18 GB of RAM, when there is 8 Gigs! (2 - 4GB memory).  It posts as 8 Gigs unganged.  

PLEASE HELP!

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9
GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N470SO-13I GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Windows XP 2005 Media Center

Getting very desperate and frustrated.  I'm about to rip the d**n thing out and toss it across the room!

Thanks.

Ken L
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 02:20:44 am by kleaverjr »

autotech

With an amd and 8 gigs it should be set to unganged period. Also if you are using windows xp 32 bit it will not see all 8 gigs. the maxium it will see is 4 gigs now understand if you have memory on your video card your system will only see 3 and some change. It may never show all 4 in xp 32 bit even without a video card the results are usually like 3.89 gig or 3.74 gig and so on.

Id also try it with just 1 stick and wouyldnt hurt to run memtest on it or windows memory tester hit f8 when starting and pick mem test in windows.

Also list hard drive type and what it is connected to and how you are running it in bios achi. sata. ide. and any other cards or add ons please.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 05:16:32 am by autotech »
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi

As autotech has mentioned you are never going to be able to access more than 4GB whilst running a 32 bit operating system. That is just the way things are and there is no getting around it. By all means check that each of the modules is working poroperly with Memtest86+ on one stick at a time for at least 10 complete loops.

I would just suggest upgrading to a 64 bit OS version and updating at the same time. XP whilst a great OS in it's time is getting a bit old now and losing support from driver writers etc.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics

autotech was on the mark with requesting Hard drive info.......this is the prime candidate for you freezing if there/it's a green for instance

If you decide to keep 32bit installed for a while.......you can put the spare 4 GB of ram to use by downloading RamDisc By DataRam.....

this will allow you to create a 4 gig virtual disc (memory) for use as another drive for firefox and IE TMP,TEMP.....OS page file cache ext.....it'll be the fastest drive you have ever seen at 4000Mb/s Plus.....configure so it dumps it's catch when you power down.....best security feature you could ever have..............totally free up to 4096Mb .... why leave 4 gig of Ram doing nothing that you've already paid for! ;)

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi Ken,

Did you update to the F5 BIOS as I suggested in your previous post? http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,6690.msg52440.html If not, that is the first thing that I would do.

How far have you got with the RAID array(s) you were planning on installing?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Thanks all for the feedback...

Here are the additional specs requested:

SYBA SY-PCI40010 PCI SATA II (3.0Gb/s) 4 Port RAID 0/1/5/10 JBOD Card (Used for RAID 1 Array)
2 - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - in RAID 1 Array - (Using SYBA Card)
5 - Seagate Barracuda ES ST3750640NS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - in RAID 5 Array - Using AMD RAID Controller

BIOS is updated to Version 5f (Latest I could find available)

Both arrays are working. 

I'm wondering if there is an issue with my video card because once in a while the monitor goes blank and then it comes back with it showing "DVI Signal selected" on my monitor.  Though the card is less than a month in service and i just got it from Newegg.  It didn't give me any problems before though and it's made by Gigabyte as well.

Thanks again for all the help.  Sorry that it took so long to reply.  I was at a show selling stuff this weekend and was away from the internet.  Not "totally plugged in" (i.e. with an iphone or the like) like my good ol' desktop computers.

As for switching to a more current version, I know at some point I will have to, but it will almost take some one to drag me kicking and screaming to do it.  I HATE VISTA with a passion.  I tried it and absolutely can not stand it's ridiculous "safety" barriers Microsoft put in it.  And I heard Windows 7 is even WORSE! UGH!  I even had a friend who hated Mac's actually go out and buy one because of windows 7.  I really don't want to do that!

Ken L.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
I don't know exactly what you have heard about Windows 7 but most people I have talked to and myself like it and trust me I am no Micro$oft fanboi at all. It is far superior to Vista which was a dead loss and I would never use after initial trials. I realy wouldn't take too much notice of the gloom merchants and give it a try. Once you feel at home with it I would be surprised if you still dislike it.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 07:40:20 am by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Yeah, i'm with DM!
What ever You do do DON'T go with Vista .. never!
Win7 FTW. A great OS. 7 is todays XP.  Works perfect and is nice for the eye. I think there was so called Classic option in 7 so it would look quite like XP.
I had sooooo many troubles with Vista. Even it was installed by shop who put together my PC. It couldn't even update to SP1 (and not talking about that SP2 was also not installed because there wasn't even SP to go on).
NEVER Vista - go for Win7 ... really nice.
Intel Core i5-2310 CPU@2.90GHz(4CPUs),~3.3GHz  **  GA Z68X-UD3-B3 - BIOS: F6 **  2x2GB Corsair XMS3(DDR3 1333)  **  Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB,GDDR5  **  Maxtor DiamondMax 22(500GB), Maxtor DiamondMax 10(300GB), Seagate Barracuda 7200.9(250GB)  **  Win.7 Enterprise x64 SP1 ** PSU:  Hec-550TW-ATF

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Ken,

changing from one OS to another is always a little traumatic, especially if you have come to love the version you are using. I remember how much I hated 98, 2000, & XP when they first came out. Vista was a dog but I always say that I ran it as a beta tester for Windows 7 and I still feel that all of those that plugged away with Vista should have been given a free upgrade to 7.

Windows 7 is different to XP but it is reliable and and easy on the eye. The Windows security measures that were so annoying on Vista have been improved with a simple control slider that allows you to turn it off completely if you so wish. I am running the 64 bit Ultimate edition and it has provided me with a solid platform with all of my hardware working, even some of the old bits of kit I have knocking around such as an old HP scanner.

OK, so that is the sales pitch over and hopefully you will now be a little more receptive to the idea of upgrading to a 64 bit OS that will allow you to make full use of your 8 Gig of RAM, but that doesn't help with your current problem.

Small system freezes can be due to many things, both hardware and software so it can be a little like looking for a needle in a haystack.

First off, as your operating system is only 32 bit I would remove one of the sticks of RAM from the PC. As has been mentioned before, a 32 bit OS cannot use any more than 4 Gig and this will take one possible cause of conflict out of the equation.
Whilst talking about RAM have you checked in BIOS what yours is actually running at especially the timings? You have some pretty fast RAM there and by default it will be pulled back to 1333MHz and although it should work without a problem it is worthwhile running MemeTest just to make sure everything is OK.

I'm not familiar with your RAID Card but does it have the latest firmware? This is an area that can easily be overlooked, especially when you have just bought it but it is worthwhile checking, just in case.

There could be a problem with your graphic card but I have to say that is not the first place I would be looking. The only practical way of knowing would be if you have a spare graphic card that you can use instead.

Check power saving options from within the OS. A 5-10 second pause would seem to be the time taken for HDD's to spin up if they have been powered down.

I can't remember if your OS installed on a single drive or on one of the RAID Arrays. I think, in your previous post you had a single drive attached to one of the marvell ports. Is this still the case?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 03:04:27 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

TheNoof

Just to pitch in my two cents worth, Win 7 is great (despite the problems I'm having with my own Motherboard).
--The Noof--
Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada

absic

• Bandcamp
Just a quick thought about Windows 7. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that, if you get the Professional or Ultimate version you can, using virtual PC, run XP mode. Just something extra to think on!  ;)

OK, I'm not an expert when it comes to diagnosing things, hence why i am here, but this on going video problem (the "Freezing" has gone away for now it seems) is something is overheating because if i leave the computer off for awhile and it cools down, it works fine, but once it is on for awhile, then the monitor looses the signal.  And when I reset/reboot, it works for a short time, then looses signal again.  So now I need to figure out is it the processor overheating or the video card.  The video card did not overheat with the older MB, so my thoughts are, it's the processor.  I used the heatsink/fan that came with the processor, i'm thinking of now replacing it with a upgraded heatsink/fan cooling device.  And finding a way of getting more cool air into the case itself.  Any thoughts.

Thanks.

OH, and when i order the fan, i will order one copy of Win 7 as well. 

Ken L.

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Ken,

have you tried using HW Monitor or another software programme to check your Temps?

I have to say the stock AMD cooler leaves a lot to be desired and I switched to the Noctua NH-D14 sometime ago (when I was runninng the GA-790XTA-UD4 mobo in fact) with my 965 & also the 1090T CPU that I currently run and saw a dramatic improvement in temps and it is also much, much quieter even though I run the fans at full speed.

WOW! THAT FAN IS HUGE!! Bigger than the one I am looking at right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103055

I usually go with Coolmaster.  I don't think the Fan you used will fit because my memory has too high a profile! UGH!

Also, i know it's a bit off topic from the thread, but since a few of you have encouraged me to go with Win 7 in hopes of fixing some of these issues, what is the real advantage of Ultimate over Professional?  I will go with at least the Professional level since that version has XP Mode, which I'm sorry, though I'm above a novice when it comes to these things, I have always thought XP was the best so for this "transition" I like to have something i am familiar with.  PLUS, I have some software that i know won't run on Vista, so hopefully with Win 7 Prof i can run them in XP mode.  But is it worth the extra $50 to go from Professional to Ultimate.  What do i really get for that extra money?  Thanks.

Ken L.

absic

• Bandcamp
The only real advantage of Ultimate over Pro is the ability to change the Windows User Interface Language and Bit Locker Encryption.
My wife is Japanese and likes to see the Windows menus in her native language which is the only reason why I run the Ultimate version. I do not use the Bit Locker encryption but, if you are running a system that deals with a lot of sensitive DATA then this will encrypt the HDD to add another layer of protection.

If it wasn't for my wife, I would be running the Pro version.