Official GIGABYTE Forum

The on going saga with this gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Board - Now It's freezing up!

Thanks!

BTW, in addition to upgrading the CPU Heatsink/Fan would it be worth upgrading the cooler for the GIGABYTE GTX470 Video Card to this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118066

Or am I putting the cart in front of the horse here?

Ken L.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
I think, at the moment, this is probably a step too far.

The first thing to do is try to find out which component is causing the problem by overheating. You are probably right in your supposition that it is the CPU but it could also, just as easily be the Northbridge or graphics card, hence my advice to check temps with HW Monitor. This will give you a better idea of the next steps to take and where to invest to give you the best return for your money.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

This is what the sensors are reporting:

Mainboard Temp: 38.0
CPU1: 37.0
CPU2: 45
CPU0 Core: 45

Chassis Cooling Fan: 3270-3280 rpm

Voltages:
05: +5.18
Core +1.5V
+3.3V: +3.38V
Aux: +1.47V

Graphics Adapter:

Fan Speed 1550-1650 RPM
GPU Temp: 41.0
Ambient Temp: 37.0

Are those "normal range" figures?

And the other question is, how do i find out what the temp is when the screen goes blank?! UGH""

Thanks

Ken L

absic

• Bandcamp
Well, looking at those figures they seem pretty much about where I would expect them to be.

The CPU Temp of 45C is about right as you are using the stock cooler but doesn't really leave you a lot of headroom if you start putting it under a constant load for any amount of time as the max temp for the 1090T is 62C.

The only way to really see what is happening with the temps is to keep your monitoring software running while you are doing other things to see if something gets too high.

As a matter of interest what PC Case are you using? Does it have a good airflow to help with cooling?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

OK, i'm upgrading just the CPU Heatsink/Fan and getting Win 7 Prof.

Here's the case  I have for this:

Broadway Com Corp R-800 Black thick Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811162051

It was the only case that i could find that had enough drive bays for all the drives I have and plan to add!

Ken L

UPDATE:  OK, after running for an hour or so, the screen went blank because of loss of DVI signal.  So I press the reset button, and as it was rebooting, before the Windows XP screen, the screen went totally blank (after posting) BUT I heard the "music" that Windows XP plays as it is logging in.  I don't know what that means in terms of what is working and what isn't.  Any ideas?!

Ken L

UPDATE TO UPDATE:

AND when I pressed the Power Off Button, I heard the "Log Off Music" from WIndows XP, and the system shut down.  Hmmmmmmm.

I am using a Sceptre LCD Monitor.

KDL
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:11:53 pm by kleaverjr »

autotech

I think it is clearly a sleep issue with power saving or a ssd issue. Are you running it in ACHI mode and so on is a post by absic on bios settings and is easy to over look something simple have been there myself. As it happens in about the same time and if you move mouse it last longer id go that route.
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
I expect it has already been covered but just in case it hasn't update the BIOS to the latest version along with the graphics drivers. Load Optimised BIOS Defaults and make sure that the graphics boot options are correct assuming that you can now enter the BIOS.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Sorry, been having more issues with a different computer.  As for this one, the Primary Drive (C:) is on a RAID 1 (Mirror) Array through the RAID Hard Drive Controller Card.  The Windows 7 OS just came from Newegg so I'm going to try to do that tonight! **crosses fingers**

As for the BIOS and drivers, they are all up to date.  I am running version 5f for the bios, and I downloaded all the latest drivers from Gigabyte for the MB AND the Graphics card. 

Thanks again!

Ken L

UGH!!! Windows 7 is taking FOREVER to install.  It gets to Expanding Windows Files and practically gets stuck at 71% and stays there for hours!  I've pullled out the extra 4GB of memory and all the peripherals have been removed during the initial install and it still is stuck.  Did any of you have this problem with Win 7 Prof install with this MB?!

Ken L

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi Ken,

You do seem to be going through hell. I have to say that I didn't encounter any of the issues that you are facing whilst trying to install the OS and I have reconfigured my system countless times since getting this motherboard. Of course, I have only tried installing the OS on single drives (HDD & SSD)or in RAID0.

I wonder if the problem you are facing is due to the PCIE RAID card that you are trying to install onto. This could be  a problem with the card itself or with the BIOS not properly recognising it. Have you tried contacting GTS here: http://ggts.gigabyte.com/tech.asp?ClassID=2&Country=U.S.A.&SourceWeb=B2C to see if they are aware of any problems with running PCIE RAID cards?

As I said before in one of the threads, maybe this one, I have NEVER have had so many issues with a "new" machine that I have built like this before.  HOWEVER, not sure what  I did, but Windows 7 did FINALLY install.  and FOR NOW is running and is stable.  There are two remaining issues that I can't seem to figure out what is going on, and  though not critical I would love if someone could help me figure out solutions as to what is going on.

The memory, when posting, is still reporting "Unganged".  Now that I am running Windows 7 Professional (x64) and if I understand correctly, "Ganged Mode" is the more efficient and faster setting for memory (2x4GB memory cards) so if someone can help me figure out even though I have it set for Ganged, it still posts as unganged that would be helpful.

Also, I have the Marvell Controller set for IDE Mode.  The Master slot is connected to a 3.0TB Hard Drive (this was a USB External drive that I accidentally broke the plug that was soldered to the circuit board, so I just took the physical drive out of the external case and have put it in the desktop) and the Slave is connected to the DVD-ROM drive.  For some reason, when I have the drive connected, after the system posts, and it indicated that it is loading the OS, the next screen says "PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT".  The Hard Drive Boot Priority is set for the RAID 1 ARRAY to be first.  If I disconnect the drive, the system boots up properly.  Any ideas how to "fix" this problem?  It has to be the Motherboard because it doesn't even reach the Hard Drive to load up Win 7.

Thanks again for all the help and patience through all of this!

Ken L.

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi again,

hopefully your on the home straight now so let's see if we can't solve these last couple of issues for you.

First off DO NOT try and run your RAM in Ganaged mode. Yes, it used to be the case that running in ganged mode  was better and for single core processors that is true but not with the current crop of multicore AMD processors. In Fact, AMD actually recommend running in Unganged mode for Memory. If you haven't read through this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2515.0.html it might help a little.

Now, as to why your PC is doing strange things with the HDD attached to the Marvell controller in IDE Mode, my best guess (and it is only a guess) is that it is due to the 3TB size of the HDD.

Thanks again! I guess I need to get with the times in terms of understanding how today's processors and memory works!

I thought with using Windows 7-64 would allow me to use the 3.0 TB drive. Hmmm.

I appreciate all the help!

BTW, I am getting a BSOD now consistently. Looks like there is something up with the USB configuration/settings (0x000000009F) that Win 7  doesnt' like.  I'm trying to trace that little bug down.  I can't wait to get things totally stable and functioning!

Ken L

absic

• Bandcamp
Hi again,

I don't think the 3TB Drive issue is to do with Windows but with the Marvell Controller and the way that is seeing the drive. This may be down to the BIOS and it might be worthwhile contacting Tech Support about this. I'm not sure of the EFI option in BIOS and if this would help but it might be worthwhile setting this to EFI rather than AUTO just to see if it makes a difference but I think it might effect the AMD controller rather than the Marvell one.

Sorry to be a pain but would it be possible for you to repost your full system specs for the way the PC is now configured?