Official GIGABYTE Forum

The on going saga with this gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 Board - Now It's freezing up!

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler Intel Core i7 compatible
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9
GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N470SO-13I GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (RAID 1) - PRIMARY (C:) DRIVE
2xWestern Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (RAID 1) - DATA( D:) DRIVE
5xRecertified: Seagate Barracuda ES ST3750640NS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive (RAID 5) - STORAGE ( E:) DRIVE
Broadway Com Corp R-800 Black thick Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Antec EarthWatts Series EA-750 Green 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Continuous P.S.
Windows 7-64 Professional

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Hi Ken and thanks for the details.

You are also using the SYBA SY-PCI40010 PCI SATA II (3.0Gb/s) 4 Port RAID 0/1/5/10 JBOD Card (Used for RAID 1 Array) and I am wondering if the problems your having could be due to running different RAID controllers. Sadly I'm not too familiar with all of the RAID configuration possibilities or the limitations and this is something that I feel only Gigabyte Tech Support will be able to answer with any assuredness.

There have also been a few issues on the forum with some of the Overclocked Nvidia graphic cards and this could be another source of the problem. Have you a lower spec'd GPU that you could try, just to eliminate this as the cause?

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

OK, i'll see if they can help.  They haven't responded to my previous pleas for help.

Yes I forgot to list the HD Controller.  It's running both RAID 1 arrays.

No I don't have another Graphics card.  I am double checking to ensure all the drivers are up to date.

I'm also removing 4GB of RAM to see if it might be a RAM issue.

Thanks again for your time.

Ken L.

absic

• Bandcamp
Yes, sadly Tech Support can be a bit slow especially when the problem is not something they have come across before. I think it is due to the way Tech support is arranged and a lot of questions have to be referred back to Taiwan.

If you haven't run MemTest to check your RAM then that would be a good idea as a lot of instability problems come down to dodgy RAM. That said, I use Corsair RAM and haven't had any major issues with any of the sticks I have bought over the year. You can download MemTest from here: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html You need to test each stick individually in slot DDR3_1 on the motherboard for at least 10 passes. This will take some time to complete but is worthwhile as then you will know if hte RAM is being a little troublesome.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

This is one thing that really is puzzling me.  I'm using manufacturer's that I have NEVER had any issues with.

I have used Gigabyte MB"s with AMD processors for the last 5 systems I have built, and used Gigabyte even before then.
The graphics card is Gigabyte as well.
Corsair has been my usual manufacturer for memory.  It seems like these guys are all failing me! :-\ UGH

Ken L

absic

• Bandcamp
I know what you're saying and I have been using Gigabyte, AMD and Corsair for my main components for over 10 years.

If I'm researching the correct RAID Card  that you have, then that does seem to be a little less robust: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124028