Official GIGABYTE Forum

PC doesn't always start, Fans on, Power LED on, no beep

PC doesn't always start, Fans on, Power LED on, no beep
« on: April 26, 2014, 02:26:13 pm »
Hello forumers, I am new here. Please help me out, I am stuck with a problem.
MY PC's specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte 880GM USB3
PSU: Power Focus 550W (a local brand, yet better compared to other locals imo)
RAM: 2 * 4 GB DDR3
Proc: AMD x4 955BE 3.2 GHz

Problem: It started 2 days back; I couldn't hear the POST beep when I powered it on. So, Power LED is ON, Fans are running but no video & POST beeps.
I used the power button to switch it off & hit it again. It worked. Though I was taken to BIOS Checksum Error page & I loaded the default settings.
Once I take away the power supply & switch it ON again, it's highly likely that it wont work. And if I try to switch it on after waiting for 15-20 mins, it surely won't boot at first attempt.

So, problem started 2 days back. I was frustrated, tried to find the problem. Took out all the peripherals to test, still the same problem. I removed the heatsink, cleaned the processor & also cleaned the RAM sticks & tightened all the plugs. Still nothing worked. I thought it was dead. Though, I decided to try the method of letting the fans run for a long while & then power my machine off & restart. I let it run for 20 mins, no luck. Then next shot was 1 hour+, it worked.
Then I decided to not take the power supply, restarted multiple times, 80% of the restarts gave me the BIOS checksum error, where I loaded the defaults.

Some things that might give you a clear picture:
1. My city, Mumbai(India) has been hot lately.
2. The power button on cpu responds only if pressed within a minute or 2 after booting.
Okay, I guess whatever information you'd need is given. So, what could be the problem? What failing hardware would cause such issues?

Re: PC doesn't always start, Fans on, Power LED on, no beep
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 10:51:59 pm »
Hello,
This part of your description I do not understand please?
quote "Then I decided to not take the power supply, restarted multiple times, 80% of the restarts gave me the BIOS checksum error, where I loaded the defaults"
What do you mean by this please?
My first thought would be power circuit in PSU breaking down under-load or when getting hot. This is normal symptoms for a PSU with intermittent circuit failure.
This would explain why the system can power up after the PSU has been allowed to cool down.
Gigabyte X38-DQ6 : Intel 3.0Ghz Q9650 : 8GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 : ATI HD7770 Flex 1GB : Samsung 250GB SSD : 5 x 7200rpm HDD : Enermax 750w PSU
Gigabyte X48-DS5 : Intel 2.4Ghz Q6600 : 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 : ATI HD7770 Flex 1GB : Kingston 250GB SSD : 3 x 7200rpm HDD : Corsair 650w PSU

Re: PC doesn't always start, Fans on, Power LED on, no beep
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 10:58:36 am »
Nevermind, it was my motherboard. Warranty was available, so I got it fixed.