Official GIGABYTE Forum

z68 ud7 plus adaptec 6805 raid controller = continuous reboot without posting

pkor

hi all, is there something i am missing? when i install an adaptec 6805 controller on my GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 (or even an asrock mobo) the machine just reboots without posting. the led display stops on 26.

i've tried bios rev f7 and f9c with no luck.

i've tried disabling all onboard controllers, setting boot to add in card, i've tried this and that and even tried kicking the case.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

pkor

never mind, POS mainboard just died.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Hi

Sounds like you have hit a bit of bad luck there! Are you sure that your motherboard is dead ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

pkor

mobo would simply not start, no lights or anything. Interestingly, walked away for half hour and the thing booted.

As to the original post, Adaptec products do not support uefi (or efi) bios.

Most p###ed off after blowing $610 on the controller.

oh well.

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Yes those controllers are not cheap eh!

Try clearing the CMOS. Do an extended clear by following these instructions:

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery overnight  before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Hello,

I have the same problem. I use computer for virtualization. My configuration:
- motherboard: Z68X-UD7 (had only 2 LAN outputs)
- processor: i7-2600 (not K, since I need VT-d)
- ram: corsair vengeance 1600, 16gb (4x4gb)
- raid: Adaptec 6805 (8 disks)
- lan: HP NC382T PCI Express Dual Port Multifunction Gigabit Server Adapter (2 extra LAN ports)
- gpu: GTX 580

And it does NOT work. It starts and fails at least 3 times, before screens shows anything. It looks like:
1) I press power button it starts ok
2) it takes 15 second before it shuts down
3) completely shuts down and starts again --->  three times like that
4) raid is loading kernel
5) lan is loading kernel
6) operating system starts --> An it works without problems for days.

My memory runs on 1333 since BIOS resets and loads safe-configuration if I change anything in BIOS... and if I change, computer does not start at all (OC ram on 1600 it runs once or twice).

Any suggestions? I tried with lots of combinations, but since raid has disks, I can not try it without that component. And I can not find compatibility support anywhere, since this is too low cost solution (not server).

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
Hi

Well the only obvious thing there is that you have still got the memory on auto in the BIOS. That won't usually work well. Try doing this but please follow these instructions exactly.

The next thing to try is to clear the CMOS.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least six hours or overnight if possible before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.

Next go into the memory settings and set them to the timings on the side of the modules(9-9-9-24 or whatever) also set the voltage buty not to the default but 0.05v more than the default setting. Check the QPI/Vtt and make sure this voltage is at least 1.2v and no less than 0.5v between it and the Dram voltage.

Hopefully you are now ready to go.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Did... step by step. Does not help. Computer starts harder and if it does, it suggesst to reset settings in BIOS to safe ones. It looks like:

1) I press power button
2) after least than second with strange noise computer shuts down.... like it does not have enough power since GTX 580 is just starting its cooling fans.
3) 3 or 4 tries like this (it breaks my heart)
4) around 5 times 15 second of black screen (LED code on motherboard stops at 2b) and restart
5) than fail-safe setings are used and computers starts and works normaly??

Any suggestions?

fredp1

I too had wierd issues too when I setup my raid card, its a dell perc h700 raid controller. and the Z68-ud7.

The raid card would not be detected by the mb due to a conflict with a mb bios setting of "usb 3 turbo mode". I don't really understand the technical side of it but the turbo mode would use some additional channels on the pci bus causing the raid card not to be seen.

Disabling this option worked for me.

Update: I changed boot from CD (only disk not connected directly to Adaptec 6805) and for now I had at least 5 startups without problem. I also did not unplug computer out of electricity phisicatly (to minimize electricity) during shutdowns. And ram is still does not work on 1600,but only on 1333.

So, problem still not solved completly, but I wtill think to buy new motherboard.