Official GIGABYTE Forum

HD audio, HDMI, home theater, triple monitor and dual GPU

Hikari

HD audio, HDMI, home theater, triple monitor and dual GPU
« on: September 17, 2011, 05:55:02 pm »
Hello guys.

Currently I'm using 2 GPUs, being a GTS 2600 and a 8400GS, with 3 monitors. I recently bought a home theader with DTS-HD MA and am using SPDIF to send audio to it.

But SPDIF doesn't support lossless 5.1 audio, it only supports stereo PCM or compressed DTS/DD. For lossless 5.1 PCM/DTS-HD MA I must use HDMI, with DHCP for DTS-HD MA.

So I'm planning on replacing my 8400GS for another GPU with HDMI. My objective is remaining using its DVI-D Dual Link for its monitor, and HDMI for audio only. I don't wanna use HDMI for video because my receiver doesn't replay powered on all the time, and when it's not it doesn't send video. I can configure the HDMI on a secondary input in a monitor, but won't use it effectively.

Another issue I'm worried is about the main display. I''ve read that, for audio working in GPU HDMI, the HDMI must be the main display. But since it's gonna be in the weakest GPU it can't be main, I wanna keep main display on my 260 GTS, connected directly to my Dell U3011, independent of audio output.

Is all that possible with current GPUs like GeForce 210 fanless, or will I failt to do the trick?