Official GIGABYTE Forum

clone ssd

clone ssd
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:11:12 pm »
Whats the best way to clone my os ssd so it is bootable (plug & play). I want to upgrade to sata3.
CM HAF 922, GIGABYTE 890GPA-UD3H Rev 2.0 bios rev FF, PHENOM 2 X6 1090t BE oc3.6,ANTEC TPQ-850W, CORSAIR H70, 60 gb CORSAIR GT ssd,4-320 gb SAMSUNG F4 raid0, 2- GIGABYTE HD6850 crossfire, 4-VENGENCE 9cas 4 gb strips 1600/1.65v running @1333/1.5v 7-7-7-21,Win7 ultimate 64 bit

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: clone ssd
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 03:11:26 pm »
Hi there,

first of is your OS installed in AHCI Mode? If yes then there is no problem if you installed in IDE Mode then first of switch to AHCI Mode using the registry tweak.

If you are running Windows 7 the cheapest and easiest way is to create a System Image via the option in Control Panel. Also create the System Restore disk. Once you have done that you can remove your HDD with the current OS installation and replace it with the SSD and then reinstall the System image.

Another option is to pay for software such as Acronis True Image. Works in pretty much the same way but of course, you have to pay for it.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Wcool

Re: clone ssd
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:13:10 pm »
Whats the best way to clone my os ssd so it is bootable (plug & play). I want to upgrade to sata3.
I always use Hiren's BootCD to clone my HDDs.

I boot into the mini Linux and fire up Ghost4Linux.
In this program you can choose to make an exact sector-to-sector copy of your HDD.
To get the best results I advise you to use HDDs with the exact size.

Hope this helps and if not, just post again ;-)

Kind Regards,

Wcool

edit: Don't know if it's allowed, but here a link to the ISO (yes, it's open source): http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
Just burn the ISO with any program to a CD-ROM and off you go. Hope this helps any further
From this ISO i know for sure that it has ghost4linux on it: http://www.hirensbootcd.org/hbcd-v132/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:35:43 pm by Wcool »