Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 470 SOC Temp

Zeigus

GTX 470 SOC Temp
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:01:26 am »
Hello all,

I recently RMA'd my 470 and I just got it back. It seems that the same card was sent back and no repair was made. The card idles around 47C which is fine, but run any game, it shoots up well into 100+C range. How was this card sent back as is? The driver constantly crashes and and I know hitting 109C while gaming for 3 minutes isn't normal. I have to admit, I'm quite upset that after a month of waiting I got the same card back. I've put this into four different computers, with the same exact result so I know its definitely not anything except this card.

Is there some sort of solution to this or do I have to gamble again with the mediocre support of Gigabyte's RMA?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 01:02:25 am by Zeigus »

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
Re: GTX 470 SOC Temp
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:10:39 am »
 1) A security marker ( the one's that are invisible unless UV light is applied) or a permanent black marker

2) mark at least 3 very small points on the item in question where it cannot be rubbed off with general handling and make a note (or photo) of the locations

this is the only way you can be absolutely sure it's your old card .... and something tangible as proof

You have a SOC card that are perilously over clocked and volted to increase performance .... so of course they run hotter...way hotter

water cooling will get rid of this issue but at high cost................So.....

Yes!, ....this will void your warranty ... But if you're not going to RMA again,...what do you have to loose!

Do this if you feel you're comfortable doing it,....or get someone that is

Disassemble and Remove Carefully the fan/heatsink assemble.....clean off thermal compound and replace with some high performance thermal compound and reassemble, .... I recommend IC-Diamond as it has proven High loading efficiency (hotter it get,the better it works) this could lower your temps anywhere between 5 and 20C

Or you could put in a detailed email and kickup a stink and try the RMA path again ;)

Aussie Allan

Update; you gave a clue as to part of the problem with 106C after 3mins .... as a test only , ....try taking the side panel off and if you have one, put a fan blowing into the case and run the game again.......you may have a heat issue with not being able to get rid of the hot air you're generating quick enough
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:26:08 am by Aussie Allan »
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Zeigus

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:37:58 pm »
I've already tried your suggestion of removing the side panel, but I doubt its an air flow problem considering I have 7 case fans. Is it possible for gigabyte to issue me a replacement card while my card is being RMA'd yet again?Also, I'm assuming gigabyte will be covering my RMA shipping costs this time too or will I be also forced to pay for this again?  As to your comment about it being the same card, wouldn't you think they'd have the courtesy to at least check if the card runs properly? The card couldn't even run a full screen game for 3 minutes without burning up through the roof @ 35% GPU usage, let alone an actual stress test / benchmark. I don't plan on voiding my warranty because the company chooses to send defective cards to their customers without testing them so that throws putting water block on it and who knows what else could be wrong with this card if I actually used it for more than 3 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:39:56 pm by Zeigus »

Zeigus

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 01:34:52 am »
No one knows?

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:25:28 am »

Sorry Zeigus , your post didn't update in my "to do list" last time round!

I know it's frustrating in your position .... the only thing I can add is ...... RMA the card again ...... add a detailed, paper letter with the card itself

This will make sure the person that works on your card will be privy to the problems you're having with the card.

Add this to the RMA support request aswell ..... as this is the second time round ..... If you ask nicely for your post to be covered, you will have a better chance of getting a "Yes".........as to a replacement card in the in-trim............can you imagine the problems they would have getting these cards back from half there costumers..............a cheap card kicking around in a box in the house or a second hand Ebay card for £20 for emergency use (like now) might be a good thought..........I have a 3870 vapor-X cards just for these occasions

Sorry I can't give you a magic bullet to shoot someone with.......but I hope the above helps

Aussie Allan

i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:07:51 am »
Allan is giving you good advice there although I really doubt that you will be able to get a card to borrow while yours is being looked at again. You never know though. I am afraid some of these RMAs do slip through the net and often it is purely a case of bad communications where the technician who is dealing with the board hasn't got all the right information. That is why the advice you were given of putting in a covering note with the card is a good idea.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB