Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-M55PLUS-S3G beeps on startup & no sound. [Video - please help]

b33p

GA-M55PLUS-S3G beeps on startup & no sound. [Video - please help]
« on: September 27, 2011, 02:13:08 pm »
The details are in the video as well as the noises the computer is making. There is no sound coming from the PC but the speakers etc are fine. I've updated drivers. Please see the video and the attached file (CPUZ) for details and specs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeql6VvNs4E

Does anybody know what's wrong? I'm more concerned with the sound than the beep at startup.

Thanks for your time.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-M55PLUS-S3G beeps on startup & no sound. [Video - please help]
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:50:59 pm »
Hi there,

When you updated the Realtek drivers did you remove the previous version first or just run the update? If you just ran the update it might be an idea to completely uninstall the drivers, run something like drive sweeper to make sure all traces are removed then reinstall them.

Have you checked your default audio device is correctly set as this can sometimes be altered when updating drivers?

Not sure what the second beep is due to, after the POST beep. It would be worth checking your settings in BIOS under PC Health Status to see if any of the Warning Alarms are enabled. Also check that your GPU is seated properly and hasn't been mvoed slightly when you refitted the power leads.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

b33p

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:19 pm »
Hi there,

When you updated the Realtek drivers did you remove the previous version first or just run the update? If you just ran the update it might be an idea to completely uninstall the drivers, run something like drive sweeper to make sure all traces are removed then reinstall them.

Have you checked your default audio device is correctly set as this can sometimes be altered when updating drivers?

Not sure what the second beep is due to, after the POST beep. It would be worth checking your settings in BIOS under PC Health Status to see if any of the Warning Alarms are enabled. Also check that your GPU is seated properly and hasn't been mvoed slightly when you refitted the power leads.

I just ran the update. The sound wasn't working before I updated, I just updated the driver in case it might've been a problem. Do you think uninstalling drivers and then reinstalling will change anything?

The second beep is the normal beep which is normal and always happens. It's the first, low-tone beep that has only happened recently. Everything is normal in PC Health, I do have some warning enabled. I opened the case there now and had another look. Everything looks fine. Frustrating!

Thanks for your help.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:29:18 pm »
Hi again,

The beeps sound to me like, the first one is a normal POST Beep. The second one is a Warning Beep, either CPU Fan Fail Warning or CPU Overheating warning. If either of these alarms are enabled try disabling them to see if it stops. If it does, then you'll know what is happening.

Ah, I thought the sound was working before you updated the drivers and then had stopped working.

Have you considered updating your BIOS as the F4 has been updated several times? Not sure whjich revision your motherboard is so can't point you to correct download page but, if you update the BIOS don't do it in one jump from F4 to the newest version, do it in a couple of smaller steps F4 - F6, F6 - F8, F8 - latest and I would recommend that you use QFlash to update and not the @BIOS Utility. If you're not sure of updating BIOS with QFlash check the FAQ here: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2441.msg13929.html#msg13929
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »
Hi

Obviously make sure that the mute isn't enabled because it shows in several places and is very easilly clicked on. Next make sure that the default output is set to speakers.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

b33p

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:43:49 pm »
I just checked, nothing is muted. There is, however, a new development.

I was just browsing the computer and the Realtek HD Audio Manager popped up saying I plugged in another audio cable. Then I took one out, and it said I plugged in another cable to the blue socket which never has anything in it. Then I took another connection out (so only the orange audio connection was plugged in at this point) and it said I plugged the mic in! Sounds like a hardware problem, right? Any ideas?

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:55:53 pm »
If you remove the speaker connections it should ask you what you have plugged in each time as you insert the jack. Just make sure that you answer correctly.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB