Official GIGABYTE Forum

6850oc voltage control (or lack there of)

6850oc voltage control (or lack there of)
« on: September 30, 2011, 09:26:32 am »
As far as I understand it the 6850 OC/ud uses a different voltage regulator compared to the normal reference or non OC 6850 cards. This means there is no way to soft mod the voltage with a program like afterburner or trixx ect. Even those that have tried to flash the bios with a voltage increase have been met with artifacts ect.

Here is my question, is gigabyte EVER going to release software that allows voltage adjustment or is this impossible? To be honest I would trade it in for the non oc version of your product and or HAD I KNOWN in advance I'd have never bought it. I purchased the ultra durable model specifically to OC because the windforce fan setup/heatsink made it seem like it would be able to do the job. Unless I intend to completely void my warranty by soldiering a potentiometer or some other crazy type of volt mod I and ever other user will be relegated to mediocre clock speeds which to be frank are already starting to reach the limit.

Why is this important? Simply because the card performs amazingly well at 900+ mhz except it's unstable due to low voltage if customers had some kind of software that supported this or an official gigabyte bios that raised voltage slightly I think everyone would be extremely happy.

It's very simple either this can or cannot be done. If it is impossible due to a physical limitation of the card I can accept that, however if gigabyte has no interest in keeping up with it's competition I would expect almost everyone who purchased one of these cards to choose a rival manufacturer in future. Let me be clear I am not making threats or "you better do this" type of nonsense post I simply want to know if the product is limited or the company is unwilling to support it properly.

Thanks for your time

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: 6850oc voltage control (or lack there of)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 09:37:24 am »
Hi

This is the first I have heard of this particular issue but it would be worth asking GGTS for help here and see if they can offer advice or assisitance. Please let us know if you get any joy from that quarter.

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice.
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com/

Please expect several days for a reply.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K