Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55 Motherboard Processor fixtures

R_N_B

Re: P55 Motherboard Processor fixtures
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 01:25:04 pm »
One wonders why the change if the original Foxconn sockets are 'fit'... ???

MindLESS

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 02:12:30 pm »
I don't know about the P55A - they could be a 'premium' line of P55 motherboards, instead of a new revision of the current P55 range.

The sockets fail *at extreme conditions*. For people who want to try and get the fastest overclock possible, they'll want the best sockets possible.

You can get a car that is 'fit' for driving - but you won't be able to make it do as much as a car with higher specification parts inside the engine. Even if the engine is the same layout.

To be fair this is being blown up a lot on the 'net - people experiencing this kind of failure were often using LN2 to cool the CPU and the voltage cranked up heavily. This is hardly 'normal operating conditions' and if the socket failed under that kind of use it's your own fault. You choose to push it and take responsibility for the consquences.

R_N_B

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 05:47:44 pm »
Not all the failures have been under extreme cooling conditions. Read the threads at xtremesystems again and you will see that there are a number of boards with the same damage that were not run at extreme conditions.

My motherboard has the Foxconn socket.  I have it running at stock. But why should I have a dodge socket that can potentially damage my CPU some time in the future, especially if Gigabyte have changed socket supplier. Those overclocked systems simply bring to the fore the problem sooner. The problem is still their regardless if you over-clock or not. At the end of the day we have a 1156 socket that does not make contact with all the pads on the CPU. That means those pins that are making contact have to work harder even under stock conditions. I see it as a concern for the long term.

I personally think that Gigabyte should offer a swap out for those of us who do worry about a sub standard socket. If others are happy with their motherboards then they do not need to swap them out. A full recall might be over the top, but possibly appropriate.

I am very happy with the Gigabyte brand, this is not their mess up. My next board will most certainly be another Gigabyte but lets not do the head in the sand thing here. We have a potential problem that could in time kill or permanently damage both the motherboard and the CPU. Prevention is always better than cure I believe.

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 09:38:58 am »
I think the only difference with P55A is it has USB3.0 and SATA 6gb/s.  I'm hoping its just a precaution changing socket clips to apease the masses. (ie: sense of security)
i7 860 | 4GB GEIL PC-12800 | Gigabyte P55 UD4P | Sapphire 5870 1gb | 2x60gb OCZ Vertex +5xHD | 850W Silverstone | CoolerMaster Stacker | Viewsonic 28"

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2009, 09:34:12 am »
I don't know about the P55A - they could be a 'premium' line of P55 motherboards, instead of a new revision of the current P55 range. (...)

I think the only difference with P55A is it has USB3.0 and SATA 6gb/s.  I'm hoping its just a precaution changing socket clips to apease the masses. (ie: sense of security)

Hi

Here is some info about P55A mb's, they also have more power in USB (3 times more):
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,763.0.html
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

MindLESS

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2009, 09:45:08 am »
I did have a look at the specs on the P55A - not something that would suit me so I'm happy with what I have for now.
I'm more than happy to wait for onboard gfx in processors to come out and air before I worry about upgrading again and get USB3.0 etc.