Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990XA-UD3 Latest Bios Warning (F9a) - FIXED! Please read!

P3Hi

GA-990XA-UD3 Latest Bios Warning (F9a) - FIXED! Please read!
« on: October 08, 2011, 02:10:56 pm »
I registered here couse of that error to!

I just got 990XA-UD3 + 1090T + Corsair 8GB Kit.

I noticed problems if i put memory on 1600MHz.. It just stuck on Loading operating system.. It was bios F3..

Today I went to official driver page and downloaded F9a version and i flashed it with @BIOS utility from Win7x64... Restared PC went to bios and set memory to 1600MHz... It stuck at loading operating system... I read notice to not flash to beta version BUT GIGABYTE DID NOT SAY THAT LETTER a IS BETA.. What a retards.. How could i know?

I loaded default values.. Nothing.. Erased with onboard jumper nothing.. My system wont boot from cd, dis, usb.. It is crap now..

If i try to use Q-Flash it says BIOS ID CHECK ERROR on every single version downloaded from support page.. Cant flash F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, F7, F8 and even F9a don't work!.. The most funny is that i can save current bios (F9a) to usb and for that one it says ok and i can reflash..

Guy please help me out. How i revert it to F3 if Q-Flash wont let me? Does Gigabyte has any opton like Asus where I could put cd into cdrom and it reflashed to default bios from cd...

I am so angry that i went from ASUS to Gigabyte Sad God damn it!

Sorry that i posted some text into [GA-990FXA-UDX Latest Bios Warning].
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:11:37 pm by P3Hi »

P3Hi

Re: GA-990XA-UD3 Latest Bios Warning (F9a)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 02:19:14 pm »
@Dark Mantis from thread [http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,6998.0.html]

Did you try and use the @BIOS program to run the update ? If so that is probably where you went wrong. You needed to use the QFlash utility and make sure that you disable the option to Keep DMI Data when you do it. Also you shouldn't do such a big jump all at once, if you are going to update from F3 to F8 say always do it in a couple of stages at least.
I did exactly like this :(

The next thing to try is to clear the CMOS.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.
I did this.. But just shor the jumper didnt take out
Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Will take it out now and will come back in hour.

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
:( Hm nothing helps.. cant boot OS.. It stuck on Loading operating system. If i manually choose with F12 to boot from CD/DVD it again jumps to Loading operating system..

Now I will tae power cable out.. And Battery to.. Will come back in one hour..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:21:05 pm by P3Hi »

P3Hi

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 04:23:10 pm »
Ok nothing works!

I did like you suggested. After one hour... I pluged power again and there comes screen which say.

CMOS checksum error - Defaults Loaded.. There is blue box with title POST error occurs!
I can choose between:
Last Known Good

Doesn't matter what i choose. After that i go to bios and select Load Optimzed Defaults.. Again it stuck on Loading operating system...
.. Ok the first tme it doesnt stuck it restart after that screen and once i get this screen

But after restart if everytime stuck at Loading operating system...

I am totaly sure if i could use AWDFLASH from floppy i could reflash thing.. But MB doesn't allow me to boot anything.. I tried to unplug all disk drives and use only CD/DVD but it doesent boot (I wanted to go into msdos to read awdflash from USB drive). I tried to use USB cdrom.. Nothing again.. It just jumps to Loading Operating System ...

Any suggestions how i can reflash it? I can't boot (so no floppy,cd/dvd). If I use Q-Flash utility it say BAD ID CHECK BIOS..

Why does Gigabyte advertise some dual bios mode if it is unusable.. How i use second bios to get my MOBO working again?
I also have Willem BIOS programer but this board doesnt have dip bios so i cant take it out and reflash...

WHAT TO DO? How do i tel Q-Flash i don't gve a s*** if there is bad id bios .. I just want to flash back to F3...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 04:35:41 pm by P3Hi »

P3Hi

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 05:11:16 pm »
Ok I repaired it! Tried to hex edit BIOS file with various programs but i suspect the bios is to new... No app can properly handle it!
I just wanted to edit bios id code.

Than I begin to think.. Gigabyte has dualbios.. How do i force it to read working one?..
I found this tip:
You can force the Backup BIOS to kick in by shutting down the PSU from the wall, then hold down your case power button in and then turn on the power supply button, a few seconds later the board will start, shut off the power supply then.   Then you can turn on the power supply again and power up the board normally and DualBIOS will kick in.
And it didn't work.. I retried few times.. And boom. Mobo doesn't even start :(

BUT, After few tmes it started said that main bios image is damaged and it begin to copy working one from backup chip :=)

GGABYTE THANK YOU FOR DUALBIOS! I am so happy i could force to make bios image bad :=) For future make onboard button with label DAMAGE MAIN BIOS to get working one from backup :=)

Hope it helps anyone  :P

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: GA-990XA-UD3 Latest Bios Warning (F9a) - FIXED! Please read!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 05:15:35 pm »
Yes you did the right thing and was going to be the nextstep I suggested. Sometimes it can take a bit of getting it toi work but it seldom fails totally.

Just don't use @BIOS again! QFlash only from now on.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 07:45:25 am »
PLEASE NOTE I have merged all your posts now into one thread. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Benz

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 12:07:54 pm »
I think the new BIOS will be Bulldozer only, because Asus did the same thing, but on their website it clearly states not to update to this version of BIOS if you're using an AM3 CPU.

Mario1

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 03:01:23 pm »
Extremely dumb move from Gigabyte and AMD's side right here.
AMD tells us "Update your BIOS to the latest version", Gigabyte makes the latest version available Bulldozer only, yet the Bulldozer isn't released yet, plus 60% of the 990X/990FX chipset users won't even buy a Bulldozer...

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2011, 07:51:57 pm »
@Dark Mantis from thread [http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,6998.0.html]

Did you try and use the @BIOS program to run the update ? If so that is probably where you went wrong. You needed to use the QFlash utility and make sure that you disable the option to Keep DMI Data when you do it. Also you shouldn't do such a big jump all at once, if you are going to update from F3 to F8 say always do it in a couple of stages at least.

Interesting, this week I have updated 3 x GA-990XA-UD3 from F3 to F8 using @bios, all went like clockwork with zero issues.
One PC was mine, one my partners and the other a customers.. I didnt even have to clear cmos.
Usually I wouldnt use a bios updater in a windows environment, but as mentioned with the dualbios available there was nothing to lose except a bit of time if it failed.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:52:59 pm by stewartb »

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 03:25:07 am »
Can someone confirm that the new F9 (not F9A or F9B) is working? Does it still hang at "Loading Operating System" on Athlon II and Phenom II? Just looking for comfirmation that it is safe to flash. Still deciding if I want to go FX. Not impressed with benchmarks but I am hearing that newer BIOS revisions may improve performance...

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 12:23:03 pm »
It no longer hangs but When I put it to sleep last night and woke it up before it failed to display anything on the screen, I restarted the system and 2 or 3 seconds into the windows 7 startup logo screen the computer BSOD with error code 0x0000005C saying HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED, restarted again and it was fine. I wouldn't say these BIOS are stable and I wouldn't recommend upgrading, I'm gonna stick with these BIOS for now but if I have any more problems then i'll revert back to F8.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:23:50 pm by yourma2000 »