Official GIGABYTE Forum

Gigabyte ga-970a-ud3

Gigabyte ga-970a-ud3
« on: October 09, 2011, 06:19:42 am »
Just installed a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard. The card reader that is plugged into the usb header, power led stay lit even after the computer has been shut down. Is this normal?

Re: Gigabyte ga-970a-ud3
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 07:04:25 am »
While I'm not quite familiar with the exact piece of add-on hardware you're using, it's in general perfectly normal for LED's to stay on while the machine is powered off. There is always some standby voltage on the motherboard, and you can in fact see the LED ('s) on the motherboard being lit as well when the machine is off.

I'd like to ask you to measure the temperature of the northbridge and the VRM at idle and under load. I'm about to get this board as well, but have been reading mixed reviews regarding its thermal performance. While this question is OT, it's anyway pretty important.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 07:08:45 am »
Just installed a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 motherboard. The card reader that is plugged into the usb header, power led stay lit even after the computer has been shut down. Is this normal?

Yes there is nothing wrong there, it is a normal occurance. In fact on Gigabyte boards now there is the fascility to charge USB devices like iPhones etc even when the machine is switched off.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 10:58:56 am »
I know how it can be annoying and how it can make one distressed to the point of replacing the internal reader with an external one which can be plugged off.
It can be a nuisance, especially at night.

The BIOS does not have any specific item to switch off power to USB ports.
In order to make the annoying LED switch off, please set these items (according to the manual, section 2-7: "Power Management Setup"):
set this to "Enable":
  • ErP Support: Enable
set these to "Disable", if needed:
  • USB Wake Up from S3
  • Modem Ring Resume
  • PME Event Wake Up
  • Power On By Mouse
  • Power On By Keyboard
  • Power-On by Alarm
Note that it may be unnecessary to disable the last 3 items.
Thucydides: "There will be justice in Athens when those who are not injured are as outraged as those who are injured."