Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-990FXA-UD5 - locked at 1333 mhz

GA-990FXA-UD5 - locked at 1333 mhz
« on: October 13, 2011, 12:57:25 pm »
Hi there, I just bought the following motherboard and 12gb ram running at 1600 mhz.
The problem is that the motherboard seem to lock them at 1333 mhz, at least that's what it says when I start up my computer...

Anyone got any suggestions to what I can do to make my RAM run at 1600 mhz?

My CPU is a AMD Phenom II x6 1090T, currently waiting for the AMD FX-8150.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-990FXA-UD5 - locked at 1333 mhz
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 01:16:16 pm »
Hi there,

Which RAM did you buy as from your description it would seem as if you are trying to run a Triple Channel Kit?

The RAM settings can be accessed through the MIT Section of BIOS. You will need to manually set the RAM speed by setting the multiplier to X8. You may also need to increase the RAM Voltage (depending on your modules) above the default 1.5V.

To protect the memory controller on your current CPU it is also a good idea to increase the North Bridge and HT Frequencies. I currently have mine set at X13, but it may take some trial and error to get things stable.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:42:12 pm »
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Although, this isn't a overclocking question...
My RAM is supposed to run at 1600 Mhz straight out of the box, no overclocking necessary

http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-12gb-triple-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz12gx3m3a1600c9.html

I have NO idea how to overclock or what to do, but like I said, they're supposed to run at 1600 mhz natively, but they don't..
I originally posted this in the "Motherboards with AMD processors" section, but it seem this got moved, but it's no overclocking question..

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 02:52:53 pm »
Technically it is an Overclocking question as, by default, the Phenom ii Processor run at 1333MHz and this is the speed recommended by AMD. Check here for more information about this: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2515.0.html

OK first thing, you have bought a triple channel RAM kit which is primarily designed for the Intel platform and you might have trouble getting your RAM running at 1600MHz with all the sticks inserted in the motherboard. You would be better off returning the RAM and getting a Dual Channel kit or removing one of the sticks of RAM and just keeping 2 on the motherboard.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 04:06:16 pm »
Ahh, the point of buying the triple channel in the first place was because I have a cooler that overlaps the first of my four RAM channels, and I wanted more then 8 gig of ram, so the 12 gig seemed perfect, seeing as I do a lot of 3D modeling, and Rendering, together with video editing, and graphic design. So getting a dual-channeled set would be out of the question..

They do work, so there isn't really a problem when it comes to the speed, or response of my system, it's just annoying that they wouldn't run at 1600 mhz.

I do thank you for your support, and explanation.
My hopes will then be for the FX-8150 as it's supposed to be able to run RAM at 1866 mhz natively.

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:38:37 am »
Hokai, now that the FX processors have come out, the problem still exist on this motherboard.
And, I find it weird, especially since the FX line should be able to provide RAM with speeds up to 1866 MHz at default.

However my memory still runs at 1333 MHz.

I've invested in a watercooler for the CPU which gave me the ability to add one extra RAM chip, so I'm running 16 GB RAM at 1333 MHz, originally designed to run at 1600 MHz.

Anyone got any suggestion to what I can do?
It's also running the latest bios; F6.

So again, my specs:
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
4x Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4-GB @ 1600-MHz (currently locked at 1333-MHz) at CL9-9-9-24 ~ 1.5V
AMD FX-8150 @ 3.6-GHz

Also.. I tried overclocking... Never got my CPU above 3.6 GHz :<

Tried to push it to 4 GHz, but the system was really unstable in 3D games.. Stable in windows.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 01:43:32 am by danieru-kun »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:36:41 am »
To get your RAM running at 1600MHz you will need to manually make the changes in BIOS under the MIT section.
Go to DRAM Configuration and change the Memory Clock from Auto to Manual then you can set the speed to X8.00 (which equals 1600MHz).
Leave the DCTs Mode at Unganged.
Change the DDR3 Timing Items from Auto to Manual and set the correct timings for your RAM modules here.
Save the changes to BIOS by pressing teh "F10" key and restart.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:11:26 am »
Absic, I am having the same problem. I have the 990FX UD3. I am running an FX 8120, and have tried 3 different sets of 8GB ram (2 X 4GB). I can not get the ram to run at 1600 Mhz. I tried with a set of Mushkin Radioactive and also a Patriot kit. Since I was not able to get either set stable at 1600 (the Patriot booted to windows at 1600, but not stable) I decided to fork out another $75 on an approved DDR3 1866 kit of Corsair Vengeance. It arrived today and I was very excited believing this would be the end to my problems.

Unfortunately I can not get the 1866 ram to run at 1600, much less 1866. I have tried manually setting the timings, tried the EOC (whatever that is) and I've tried upping the voltage to 1.6, 1.65 and even 1.66. I am now at a loss as I have never had this much trouble getting ram  to run at its rated speed. Any suggestions at this point would be very welcome.

My board is rev 1.1 and I am using the F5 BIOS. Do you think the Beta BIOS is advisable? I will attempt to adjust the northbridge and HT frequencies, but so far no joy.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:44:47 am »
Hi there,

yes, I would advise updating to the latest BIOS in your situation and don't worry I have been using the latest BIOS for this board without any issues. Use QFlash to run the update and remember to disable the "Keep DMI Data" option on the QFlash homepage prior to running the update.

If you still have problems after updating the BIOS then I would suspect that there may be a fault with the CPU itself, as the memory controllers are part of this and not the motherboard.