Official GIGABYTE Forum

RAID hangs with enabled on GA-P67X-UD3-B3

RAID hangs with enabled on GA-P67X-UD3-B3
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:48:22 pm »
Hello, I am attempting to install a RAID 1 setup with 2 WD 320GB SATA drives using the GIGABYTE P67X-UD3-B3 motherboard. The mobo has 2 different built in RAID controllers... the Intel and the Marvell. If I leave the BIOS settings alone and leave it the default of IDE controller mode I am able to see both harddrives and boot into windows. If I change either of the controllers to use RAID I would expect to see another menu on the POST boot that allowed me to configure my RAID array and then keep on with the boot process. When I reboot after changing the BIOS settings on the POST it gets to where it wants to look for the IDE drives then goes to a blank black screen with a curser blinking in the top left corner. I cannot get out of this unless I hard reset or ctrl-alt-delete to reboot. I am then unable to get into the BIOS to change it back and I have to use the CMOS short pins on the motherboard to reset it to factory. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks,
Seth Cooper

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: RAID hangs with enabled on GA-P67X-UD3-B3
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 07:49:43 am »
Hi and welcome.

When booting you need to press CTRL+ I to bring up the RAID configuration options if you have the drives attached to the Intel controlled ports.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Re: RAID hangs with enabled on GA-P67X-UD3-B3
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 06:02:39 pm »
Dark Mantis,

Thank you for your reply...  I have tried to plug the drives into both the Intel ports and the Marvell ports... if i leave the controllers on IDE the computer boots fine... I can see both drives in windows.  The problem is when I go to enable RAID on either controller after I save the settings in the BIOS when it restarts it shows that it is checking the IDE drives then screen goes blank except for a cursor in the top left corner of the screen.  I then have to restart the computer and try to get back into the BIOS and it doesn't respond to any keys... to get the computer to do anything I have to short the CMOS pins and then it goes back to the IDE configuration.  I never get a chance to do CTRL + I or CTRL + M...

Thanks,
Seth