Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-MA770T-UD3 rear audio - aux inputs not working

johntee

GA-MA770T-UD3 rear audio - aux inputs not working
« on: October 18, 2011, 11:06:40 am »
Hi,

I've had my GA-MA770T-UD3 MB for six months now and everything is running fine. It is not over-clocked in any way, it is "bog-standard". I'm using the "Onboard" Realtec audio outputs to drive my "Logitech X-530" sound system with great success and no problems. However, last week I wanted to input my iPOD into a free rear input to extract some audio but I could not get any sound through the system. I tried an input from my Yamaha Tyros 4 elctronic musical keyboard, which works great on my Sony VAIO, but will not with my desktop PC. Likewise  I tried my "Roland mono microphone headset input to the rear "Microphone" input but that's dead too. I've checked all the usual "Windows XP" mixer settings,check boxes and such,  all variations of the "RealTech Audio Manager" settings, I've updated the drivers via Windows XP "Device Manager". Windows XP "Sounds and Audio Devices" reports Realtec as the default "Recording & Playback device ". Nothing seems to resolve this issue, there is no reported conflicts. The Bios is set to "Onboard Audio."

In desparation I've wiped the hard-drive completely using "Killdisk" software, reformatted and re-installed Windows XP Pro with all updates and the very  latest "Service Packs." installed all drivers & utilities from the Gigabyte CD, reconfigured all settings etc etc, the Audio outputs work just fine, the inputs are still dead. The Realtec device manager detects when I plug into the rear panel sockets and I can choose a device from the drop down menu box........... still nothing. The processor is a dual core AMD Athlon 2 x 2 255 Code name "Regor" Socket AM3 (938) running at 3111 Mhz. Memory is 1333Mhz but running unganged at 1066Mhz each.

The PC is running "sqeeky clean" at the moment with no additional softwares installed.

I cannot check front panel inputs / outputs from the MB as my case does not have any front "plugins connectors".

HELP, I'm brick-walled here,  any assistance is very much appreciated on this issue.

Kindest regards,

John in the UK
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:04:42 pm by johntee »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: GA-MA770T-UD3 rear audio - aux inputs not working
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 11:27:00 am »
Hi John,

I don't use the Realtek audio so am guessing a little here but are you plugging you IPod into the correct socket. My understanding is that it should go into the Blue Line In Jack not the Pink Mic In Jack?

If you are sure that you are plugging it into the correct socket have you double checked the Default Audio device settings under the Sound Management of Windows? The default input Audio device might be set as Digital input or something else and you need to make sure it is set to the correct line in connection.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

johntee

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 12:00:00 pm »
Hi Absic,

Thanks for your reply........... Yes,  I've looked at the "Sounds & Audio Devices" in Windows XP via the Control Panel. It states:

Soundplayback:- "Realtec HD Audio Output"

Sound recording:- " Realtec HD Audio Input"

I can't seem to get my head around this one. I've built systems for over 13 years now and used the Realtec audio facility on many motherboards without any issues. ( i.e. Asrock brand is one of the cheapest around but I had no problems even with their varieties ).

I've tried different inputs to the rear sockets but without success. For reference, the manual states that the MIC input should remain specifically as that although I have tried it in others too. I've done more juggling of the leads than a circus clown. ;)

Maybe my single brain cell is having difficulty working these days !!  ;)

Kindest regards,

John in the UK
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 12:03:07 pm by johntee »

autotech

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 03:27:10 am »
First an ipod must be hooked to computer using a usb plug to play thru computer not sure why you are using the sound jack.

Second after you plug it into usb it should auto install what you need to play it, third it usually wont play thru headphones once you have it connected.

Do a search using google alot of information comes up that might help you seems a normal problem with the ipod
GA-Z170X-UD5,Core i5-6600K,16 GIG,3200 ram ,2 X Corsair 240GB SATA III SSD, 500 gig HD,7 ult 64\, Rx-480 8gig\

Z97X-SOC GIGABYTE, I5 4670k, 16 gig 1600 ram, 240 gig sata3 SSD,1x 500HD/ R9 280x, corsair 650 RM PSU

GA-Z97X-Gaming G1,850 corsair,,DDR4 3200,240SSd,6950 video,850EVA

johntee

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:24:30 pm »
Hi Autotech,

Thanks for your feedback, it is very welcomed. To clarify, the "iPOD" was a general descriptive term used by me to demonstrate  a means of inputting a stereo "Audio" output signal into the Gigabyte MB rear line-in sockets.

Admittedly this was obviously misleading. The "iPOD" which I own is actually an ancient "Archos Gmini402" mp3 / wav / video camcorder type  player which has a stereo audio output via a mini jack plug socket.  The latter can be fed into an exterior amplifier device or, as I've done previously, fed into a PC sound card line input jack for extraction of recorded media.

In my initial post I mentioned to our members that I had also tried the stereo output of my "Yamaha Tyros 4" electronic musical keyboard. That signal works well when fed into my Sony VAIO laptop's line input, and also on an old back-up PC which uses an ancient  AMD 3000+ processor and a crappy "Asrock" motherboard.  I therefore know the audio source is good, I just cannot get any through-put from my Gigabyte on board "Realtec" HD sound utility.

Last night I un-installed the "Realtec" audio drivers yet  again and installed the latest driver via Gigabytes.com  main website, this being v5.10.0.6449 and dated 30th August 2011 and supplied by Realteck Semi-conductor Corp. The blighter still won't work. As said, I'm 'brick-walled' with this problem. I would like to try my new GA-MA770T-UD3 MB with another operating system besides XP, maybe Windows 7, to see if that makes any difference, but I don't have access to such. Do you know if a trial version of Windows 7 is downloadable?

Thanks again for your time, if you think of any other potential remedy please let me know.

Kindest regards,

John in the UK
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:33:18 pm by johntee »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:53:10 pm »
Hi

I don't know if you have already covered it but check the obvious like the "Mute" option for the input in the System Tray and the audio section of the Control Panel. It is very easy to overlook this setting which is set to mute by default.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

johntee

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 03:09:23 pm »
Hi Dark Mantis,

Thank you for your suggestion, yes I've tried that, in fact I've tried every conceivable setting I know of.  I'm going round in circles checking, re-checking, installing, un-installing all and everything without success.

I'm totally overwhelmed by this no audio through-put problem and this is all the more frustrating as I've aquired a good deal of operating systems familiarity over the last 13 years of building many PC's from scratch. Nothing within this period has remained unresolvable.......... eventually

The problem could be solved very easily by me going out and purchasing a sound card and installing it into the motherboard. However that would do nothing in satisfying my need to know the underlying cause of the problem. Is it a conflict of some kind within the XP operating system, is it an interface problem in respect to the drivers, or a malfunctioning motherboard???  The question remains !!

In fairness, the audio output from the motherboard's Realtek HD audio processing hardware is great. The sound is pure, there is no distortion which might give indication to an underlying problem, it's just the inability to get any injected audio through the board.

At this present moment I'm not too sure what direction to take next, I'm optimistic that someone will provide the 'Holy Grail' solution for me.  ;)

Kindest regards,

John in the UK
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:13:39 pm by johntee »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 05:52:20 pm »
I am taking it from what you have said that the Azalia Codec is enabled in the BIOS ?

Have you tried to use a different input as they are all configurable and you don't have to stick with the standard one ?
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

johntee

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 07:46:21 pm »
Hi Dark Mantis,

In the Award Bios under "Integrated Peripherals" the "Onboard Audio" is set to "Enabled". This effectively makes the "Realtec" onboard audio codecs / drivers visible and active within Windows XP "Device Manager" etc with no conflicts being shown therein.

In response to your question, "Have you tried to use a different inputs as they are all configurable". The answer is yes to that, I've selected the various device allocation configuration "Tick Boxes" in the Realtec "Device Manager" drop down menu when testing each free input socket. Nothing works even though the Realtec device manager detects when a lead is inserted into a rear socket, even the MIC input is dead.

I did reply to our member "Absic" above to his similar suggestion in the following way,

Quote: "I've tried different inputs to the rear sockets but without success. For reference, the manual states that the MIC input should remain specifically as that, although I have tried it in others too. I've done more juggling of the leads than a circus clown."  ;)

This is a sticky one for me, I've never been unable to sort out PC issues in the past. I'm getting a 'gut' feeling that the MB is not functioning correctly. I've contacted the Gigabyte MB supplying dealer with vue to obtaining another GA-MA770T-UD3 rev.1.4 board and they say they no longer stock these and do not know if they will be getting any in the future. That sounds somewhat suspicious to me. Is their response a general 'cop out' or indicative they know there is a problem with the board.? Makes me wonder.

Thanks once again,

John in the UK

PS. On a temp basis I've "Disabled the "Onboard Sound" and installed an old "Soundblaster Live 5.1" card into a free PCI slot so I could edit my "Archos" device  recordings for my daughter who is a school teacher and needs them for a training session tomorrow.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:01:30 pm by johntee »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 08:42:27 pm »
Hi John,

just so you know why the Rev 1.4 isn't available any longer. It's because this board has been further updated with a revision 1.5 and the current version is Rev 3.1 which has the AM3+ socket. They all use the same Realtek sound chips so nothing has been altered as far as this.

Could you confirm which Realtek chip is installed on your motherboard as it could be the ALC888 or the ALC892?
You may have to actually look at the chip to identify which one is present and you can find it close to the CD_IN & SPDIF_IN sockets.

If it's the ALC888 chip I can try and see if I can duplicate the problem on the GA-770TA-UD3 for you in an effort to discover what's happening.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

johntee

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 10:21:53 pm »
Hello again Absic,

I'm afraid it's the ALC892, my God they make the print that small I needed a magnifying glass and strong light to see it.

None the less, it was very considerate of you to offer the "duplication" approach in an effort to solve this confounded audio problem.

If all else fails I could possibly attempt to pursuade the MB supplier, Aria.co.uk,  to give a replacement / upgrade with some sort of cash adjustment if necessary. As the board is under six months old it should surely carry some kind of manufacturers warranty. Having said that, applied shipping costs would probably exceed the cost of buying another board??  :(

I must say we have a great set of members on the forum, always reassuring to know there are helpful and knowledgeable folk around to offer a hand when stuck.

Kindest regards, as ever,

John in the UK
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:25:37 pm by johntee »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:07:18 pm »
Your motherboard comes with a three year warranty from the time of manufacture. Therefore you are most definitely covered and Aria are the people to contact about it.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

johntee

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 07:56:44 pm »
Hi Dark Mantis,

Thanks for your info on Gigabyte MB warranty, it looks as if this is the only route open to me now.

I dropped an explanitory email of my problems to Gigabyte Technical Support via web address: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx, that was several days ago. There was a message on screen saying that my communication had been received
 and if I wished to check out a "Ticket" I should go to http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw. For some reason this link is not accessible to me even though I disengaged my Firewall & Anti-virus Software...... strange !!   Maybe ISP blocking ??

I also received an email from (gsmtp3.gigabyte.com.tw. [211.22.58.53]) offering the following message:

"Dear passport member:johntee

Thanks for applying GIGABYTE Passport, Please click the button below to activate your account.

Activate My Account   (https://passport.gigabyte.com.tw/)

If the link above does not appear clickable or does not open a browser window when you click it, copy the following url and paste it into your web browser's Location bar: https://passport.gigabyte.com.tw/authenticate.aspx?reg=YUNVcnpMMnpnVXxqb2huLnRpbHN0b25AbnRsd29ybGQuY29t-tvEmeg77pjY%3d "

I've tried both options but cannot activate my PASSPORT with my password as this link is also being denied to me ( Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage) .

I haven't received anything back from Gigabyte in response to my original submission, probably because my GIGABYTE Passport has not been activated. Have you ever come across this obstacle yourself by chance?

Thanks again for your time and efforts to date.

Kindest regards,

John in the UK

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 09:01:29 am by runn3R »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 08:07:41 pm »
Hi John

try this link: http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/ Just type your email address in the box to see about your support request.

I know when I tired ot use Tech Support this was the way to gain access to replies and I didn't bother trying to create a Passport Account.

johntee

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 09:02:09 pm »
Hello absic,

Thanks for the link, unfortunately it will not let me in, it's sending me round in circles with the following messages:-

I don't seem to be making much headway with Gigabyte ;) My wife says I've got the patience of "Jobe"

Kindest regards,

John in the UK