Official GIGABYTE Forum

880GM-USB3: No Boot

880GM-USB3: No Boot
« on: October 23, 2011, 04:39:31 pm »
Hello,

I've been searching the forums but have found mixed answers, so I was wondering if someone could confirm my fears!

I've just bought a 880GM-USB3, and an AMD FX 6100. I chose the GB board because it stated it was "AM3+ ready", but am I going to need to update the BIOS for it to work?

I've put the two together, with a Antec Kuhler and 4GB Corsair, and I'm getting no video signal at all when I boot. I'll list the steps I've taken.

1) Built system as I'd like it, with a ASUS EN8400GS on the PCI-E. Booted, no video.
2) Removed the GFX and plugged monitor into on board video. Booted, no video.
3) Removed all cables, so all I have is Mobo, CPU, Cooler, Ram. Booted, no video.
4) Removed ram too, booted, no video.
5) Took whole system out of chassis, assembled Mobo/Cpu/Cooler on a cardboard box. Booted, no video.
6) Run to forums for help.

The chassis I've bought has no onboard speaker/buzzer, so I'm not getting any noise whatsoever. Fans all run fine, cooler seems fine.

I'll be absolutely gutted if I have to go and buy an AM3 processor that I don't need, just to update the BIOS.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

James

teknology9

Re: 880GM-USB3: No Boot
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:52:54 pm »
Hi,

Have a look at this, it may help:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-13-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems

absic put me onto this and you might find them useful:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/motherboard-testing-switch-set-98842

There is a speaker in the set but as you know you can buy a speaker/ buzzer from any PC store.

Teknology9
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:56:14 pm by teknology9 »
Windows 10 Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 2666
Gigabyte B460M AORUS PRO
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
i5- 10400
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 05:03:58 pm »
Hi James,

I've just bought a 880GM-USB3, and an AMD FX 6100. I chose the GB board because it stated it was "AM3+ ready", but am I going to need to update the BIOS for it to work?

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the need to update the BIOS to FD before the FX6100 will be recognised. You will need a supported processor to do this though http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=3809 and if you haven't got one you will either need to see if you have a friend that will let you use one (if they have one) or a local PC shop who will probably make a charge to do this for you.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:09:36 pm »
Thanks to you both for getting back to me. I realised after I'd posted I had a speaker on an outgoing chassis, so took that and plugged in but no beeps whatsoever.

I'll pick up a Sempron tomorrow, thanks for posting that table, it'll save me a few quid.

I'm just so annoyed that Gigabyte have shipped a mobo with "AM3+ Ready!!" printed all over it, when it's actually completely AM3+ unready. I feel a strongly worded letter coming on.

Anyhow, thanks again to you both, I hope that'll sort it.

James

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:32 pm »
I can understand your frustration but, as I mentioned in another similar thread yesterday, part of the problem is that the AM3+ motherboards came out so long before the FX processors and AMD didn't release the proper code needed to support the processors until well after this. So a BIOS update is needed for most, if not all of the AM3+ motherboards that are sitting on suppliers shelves.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 05:48:06 pm by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.