Official GIGABYTE Forum

Can MA78LMT-S2 unlock AMD phenom2 cores?

Can MA78LMT-S2 unlock AMD phenom2 cores?
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:00:11 pm »
I have GIGABYTE GA-MA78LMT-S2 rev3.4 and Phenom 2 x2 555 Black Edition...

1)Can this mobo unlock amd be cores?
2)Is there sb700 or sb710 south bridge on this mobo?
3)If my 4. core is not working then what is the way of opening 3.rd core alone and use my x2 as x3? (i saw values from -12 to +12 in per core mode in bios..what are these values?)

Thank you
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:01:51 pm by woundedrider »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: Can GA-MA78LMT-S2 unlock AMD phenom2 cores?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 01:46:51 pm »
Hi there,

Let me answer the easiest question first. The South Bridge on this motherboard is the SB710

I have only attempted core unlocking on different motherboards so I am not sure of which features are available with this one.

Do you have the Core Unlock option in BIOS under the Advanced BIOS features Section? If the answer is yes, then you might be able to unlock the processor but, bear in mind, that there is a high failure rate when it comes to successfully unlocking the hidden cores.

If you can unlock your CPU then the options to enable or disable cores becomes active. You cannot disable core 0 but you should be able to enable disable  any of the other 3 independently of each other.

The -12% to +12% option in BIOS allows you to tweak the speed of individual cores of an unlocked processor to help improve system stability.

Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:23:47 pm »
Hi there,

Let me answer the easiest question first. The South Bridge on this motherboard is the SB710

I have only attempted core unlocking on different motherboards so I am not sure of which features are available with this one.

Do you have the Core Unlock option in BIOS under the Advanced BIOS features Section? If the answer is yes, then you might be able to unlock the processor but, bear in mind, that there is a high failure rate when it comes to successfully unlocking the hidden cores.

If you can unlock your CPU then the options to enable or disable cores becomes active. You cannot disable core 0 but you should be able to enable disable  any of the other 3 independently of each other.

The -12% to +12% option in BIOS allows you to tweak the speed of individual cores of an unlocked processor to help improve system stability.

Thank you for answering
Yes i have advanced clock calibration option in bios which is for unlocking cores
I could't boot my pc after selecting "hybrid" and "auto"..only a black screen and continuously bleeping case... :(
I tried everything,tweaked the speeds,the voltages..but nothing happened :(
Also in acc,there is no option to unlock cores individually..there are only core0 and core1 which are the base cores...no core2 no core3 like in asus mobos :(
I read somewhere that,some bioses for gigabyte cannot unlock cores and some can :/ So which bios version should i download?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:32:56 pm »
Hi again,

to be honest I'm not sure and it might be a case of downloading them all and testing each version and seeing if any of them will do what you require.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 08:38:38 pm »
Hi again,

to be honest I'm not sure and it might be a case of downloading them all and testing each version and seeing if any of them will do what you require.

Testing 14 bioses :/ Cmon man there should be somebody aroud you who knows the version  :'(  I'm tired of trying to unlock these cores i have had enough :( save me from my pain  :'(

absic

• Bandcamp
Re: Can MA78LMT-S2 unlock AMD phenom2 cores?
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:42:23 pm »
Sadly I don't work for Gigabyte and the only others on here who maybe able to help are users like us.

You could be waiting a long time for another member that is running the same motherboard/CPU combination who is also trying to unlock the cores to come along and be able to help, hence my suggestion.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 08:49:14 pm »
If you want to converse with Gigabyte employees I would suggest contacting GGTS. Whether they will be able to help you is another matter.

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice.
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com/

Please expect several days for a reply.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »
If you want to converse with Gigabyte employees I would suggest contacting GGTS. Whether they will be able to help you is another matter.

Just enter your email address and click on the language of choice.
GGTS   http://ggts.gigabyte.com/

Please expect several days for a reply.
Yep i tried that they're automaticly sending the same stupid mails to everyone who needs help..They are always changing the subject when someone experiences something bad with their products and asks questions  >:( >:(

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:53:38 pm »
Sadly I don't work for Gigabyte and the only others on here who maybe able to help are users like us.

You could be waiting a long time for another member that is running the same motherboard/CPU combination who is also trying to unlock the cores to come along and be able to help, hence my suggestion.
It's ok :) Thank you anyway...

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 10:46:07 am »

hey man
i have a question: Is my PSU the reason of this? It's 400W and i'm using watt hungry hardware like a CRT monitor and hd6850 cyclone power edition gpu..

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 11:24:44 am »
Hi again,

When trying to unlock the CPU or doing any other overclocking a good Power Supply is essential and 400Watt is under the minimum that is recommended for your motherboard which is 500Watt.

Having a lower powered PSU won't help your cause but I wouldn't like to say for certain that a more powerful unit will solve the problem. With your motherboard, GPU and other hardware I would be using at least a good quality 650 Watt PSU before trying to do what you are.

Another thing to add to the equation of core unlocking is the OS you are using as it has been found that a failure to unlock cores when running Windows Vista or Windows 7 have been successful when using XP.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 11:34:17 am »
hey man
i have a question: Is my PSU the reason of this? It's 400W and i'm using watt hungry hardware like a CRT monitor and hd6850 cyclone power edition gpu..

I just wanted to point out that the monitor you are using has nothing to do with power consumption as they always have their own power source. On some older PSUs the monitor uses a link from the PSU to connect to the  mains supply but that is all it is a direct link, the PSU doesn't supply any of the power for the monitor. You only have to take into consideration the components that are in your system box when working out the size of the PSU.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 05:23:01 pm »
Hi again,

When trying to unlock the CPU or doing any other overclocking a good Power Supply is essential and 400Watt is under the minimum that is recommended for your motherboard which is 500Watt.

Having a lower powered PSU won't help your cause but I wouldn't like to say for certain that a more powerful unit will solve the problem. With your motherboard, GPU and other hardware I would be using at least a good quality 650 Watt PSU before trying to do what you are.

Another thing to add to the equation of core unlocking is the OS you are using as it has been found that a failure to unlock cores when running Windows Vista or Windows 7 have been successful when using XP.
Yes i saw many people with this problem..Xp unlocks but win7 doesn't...I think it's a deal between amd and microsoft..With one of the windows update files,users may be prevented from unlocking amd cores...Is there a way to hack win7 system files to allow the system to unlock?...

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 05:24:15 pm »
hey man

I just wanted to point out that the monitor you are using has nothing to do with power consumption as they always have their own power source. On some older PSUs the monitor uses a link from the PSU to connect to the  mains supply but that is all it is a direct link, the PSU doesn't supply any of the power for the monitor. You only have to take into consideration the components that are in your system box when working out the size of the PSU.
I thought that too but i saw somewhere writing that crt monitors need 80W at least