Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 REV:1.3 major issues

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 REV:1.3 major issues
« on: October 23, 2011, 11:57:53 pm »
I'm having major issues with a new build:

i5 2500k
GA-Z68XP-UD3 REV:1.3
Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb) CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 dual channel ram
OCZ Solid 3 SATA3 120gb SSD
WD Black 640gb 7200rpm SATA2 HDD (came from previous stable system)
XFX Radeon HD 6870 video card (came from previous stable system)
Silverstone 750w PSU (came from previous stable system)
Windows 7 x64 professional w/sp1 (from previous stable system)

It seems that this board doesn't exist. The revision of 1.3 does not exist on Gigabyte's website EXCEPT as a GA-Z68XP-UD3R REV:1.3 but that board has a black PCB, a black box and has a completely different BIOS and I assume different drivers.

My major issue with this build so far has been that either I can't finish the unppacking of windows 7 files during the pre-install due to BSOD OR I get past that part and can install all drivers and then windows update getting stuck and either blue screening OR random rebooting. I get errors in windows that all relate to this in some form or another once i start to update. Note that I have tried installing windows with various media - OEM W7x64 CD, OEM W7x64 4gb bootable kingston flash drive, MSDN W7x64 CD, MSDN W7x64 bootable flash drive (Kingston flash drive), Also I've tried with W7x64 PRO and Home Premium. See error below:

"Error code: 0x80070643Or

You receive one of the following error codes when you try to install .NET Framework updates through Windows Update or Microsoft Update, or when you attempt to update malware signatures in Microsoft Security Essentials.

Error code: 0x643Back to the top
CauseThis problem can be caused by system corruption on your computer. This occurs fo...This problem can be caused by system corruption on your computer. This occurs for various reasons, including but not limited to other applications overwriting of .NET files or corrupted hard disk sectors."

I have tried installing windows on both the OCZ SSD and the 640gb WD Black and get the same results. I have fully updated the SSD via OCZ's website and recommendation. I also have the updated drivers from Gigabyte's website for the same model of my board but for revision 1.0 (since there is no 1.3 listed for this board). I have done memtest v.40.0 and after 3 runs I received 0 errors on the memory. I was able to update this motherboard with the BIOS of f7 - 2011/10/05 from the GA-Z6XP-UD3 r1.0 (had f6 from factory) with no problems (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3892#bios). I could not update the BIOS from the GA-Z68XP-UD3R REV:1.3 BIOS file as it said it was not compatible in the flashing program. Whats worse is this motherboard I have now is a replacement board for the first board I had which came in a different box and it was revision 1.0 - I had the same exact problems with that board as I have with this board.

The video card works as it came from an older system I am replacing. The thing that really confuses me is how the box for the replacement board I just received (GA-Z68XP-UD3 REV:1.3) is almost exactly the same as the GA-Z68XP-UD3R REV1.3 except for mine has a white background with that same stupid red car/issd picture and says only "GA-Z68XP-UD3" instead of a black background, same stupid red car/issd picture and "GA-Z68XP-UD3R". The first board I received and RMAed which was REV:1.0 matches that of what is shown on the Gigabyte website:

http://www.gigabyte.la/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3892#ov

The one I received matches the above board physically in colors (blue pcb, blue/white connectors - white box) exactly except that its revision 1.3 and comes in the copied box from the different board below:

http://www.gigabyte.la/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3980#ov

It seems what I have does not exist. There is actually a little sticker on my board where the revision is - normally the revision is etced in but mine is a little white sticker that says "REV:1.3". This board doesn't exist anywhere that I can see :( How can I figure out whats wrong with this board if two different revisions were sent to me, and the symptoms are the same but everything else has been either working in another machine OR the new stuff I've purchased is fully updated with the latest firmware? I've tried reverting to BIOS f6 and the problem seemed to be worse but I'm done wasting my time with reformats.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 01:01:33 am by BoostBlitzen »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 REV:1.3 major issues
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 06:42:11 am »
Hi and welcome.

I think it would be prudent to clear the CMOS and load the latest BIOS upodate file available via QFlash. Please follow these directions exactly.

Remove the power cable from the mains supply and then press the power switch on the case for a few seconds just to drain any residual energy in the PSU capacitors.

Once done remove the motherboard battery for at least one hour before replacing it.

Next plug back into the mains supply and boot.

(At this point run the update of the BIOS file and make sure that on the QFlash homepage that you disable the "Keep DMI Data". There are instructions onnhow to do it in the FAQ section.)

You will now need to enter the BIOS by pressing DEL and load Optimised BIOS Defaults.

Make any other changes to the BIOS settings to suit your self like disabling the floppy drive, disabling the full screen logo and making the HDD the primary boot device and then press F10 to save and exit.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 02:57:30 pm »
Thanks Dark Mantis (MGS4 was awesome btw ;) )

I will do as you recommended above. I did do this somewhat already when I flashed from f7 down to f6, though I only left the battery out for about 20 mins, and I didn't see an option for "keep DMI data". I will look over the FAQ.

I'm still confused as to how my board has a revision that seems to not exist on the Gigabyte website, or online anywhere.

Thanks again for your advice!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:59:34 pm by BoostBlitzen »

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 12:36:36 am »
Update:

I just got home from work and currently I have the battery out of the motherboard and will have to wait about 45 mins till I can put it back in and re-flash with BIOS f7. I did make sure before I pulled the battery to first unplug the cord from the PSU and then turn on the power of the computer to drain the PSU capacitor of any remaining power (it did turn on for a brief second). Then I cleared CMOS by use of a flat-head screw driver on the two CMOS pins at the bottom right of the mobo for about 10 seconds. After that I pulled the battery.

While I was at work earlier I called Gigabyte tech support regarding this issue. I told them how this is actually a replacement board and that the first board I received had 1 slightly bent pin in the socket that I only noticed after hours of frustrating troubleshooting and me taking the CPU out of the socket and checking as a last resort. Word to the wise - ALWAYS check the socket for bent pins before un-boxing your CPU! Don't even attempt to futz with your motherboard if the pins are not right - Just send it back!

Anyway, I then mentioned to him that the replacement board I now have is REV:1.3 and he was like "This board is only in revision 1.0. Revision 1.3 doesn't exist". So I'm taking pictures and sending them to his email address @ gigabyte.com tonight. Maybe I somehow received this one by mistake?

The gigabyte technician (John Jong - nice dude) mentioned to me that this sounds like 1 of 2 problems. Either A: one of the memory slots on the motherboard is damaged OR B: the memory controller on the CPU is bad.

So my question is - Could the bent pin in the socket have damaged the CPU memory controller when I had it running before I discovered it? I doubt the memory slot in this replacement REV:1.3 board is bad because I had the same issue as before with the 1st REV:1.0 board. If the CPU is damaged then obviously that would explain the carry-over symptoms.

Other than that, how is it that I don't get any errors on this 2nd board with memtest if the CPU memory controller is damaged? I didn't memtest the first board I had as the bent socket pin pretty much answered my questions when I finally saw it.

Luckily I have access to other memory modules and CPUs. I am going to test some other kingston hyperx tonight and see whats up with that and also I've got another 60gb OCZ SSD I can try along side it as an experiment. I am still going to do as you recommended above Dark Mantis in about 30 mins. If  after tonight I still get nowhere, I'm going to take my CPU to work and plug it into one of the gigabyte boards I have at work (we're loyal gigabyte resellers AND users ;) ) to see if it is indeed the CPU.

I'll keep you guys posted.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 02:07:09 am »
Update:

I have re-flashed the BIOS to f7 via the method above that Dark Mantis proposed. I made sure to disable "keep DMI data" in Qflash. I am now getting an error when installing windows during the unpacking process:

"Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation.
Error code: 0x80070570"

Ughh...going to try different RAM..

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 03:29:00 am »
Update:

So as I stated I would try some alternate RAM from my office. I'm trying an 8gb (2x4gb) kit of Kingston HyperX Blu PC3-10700 1.5v memory (Part# 9905403-181.A00LF) in the same slots as the Corsair memory I've had since the beginning.

The PC seems to work now.

I was able to install windows and update without any issues whatsoever. I was able to install all drivers without a hitch (did driver installs before updating windows). I have not yet received a single BSOD or Stuck windows update.

Do these gigabyte boards not like Corsair memory? I only use Kingston HyperX at work in all Gigabyte machines because I ran into an issue 2 years ago with a similar problem and a Gigabyte tech told me to try Kingston RAM, but I thought for my own build that I would try a different manufacturer. Bad idea I guess....

Currently the machine is fully updated and I'm running prime 95 x64, speedfan, and cpuz. I will update you all  tomorrow morning if the stress test passes.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 04:47:02 am by BoostBlitzen »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:24:53 am »
Hi again,

Sounds like you have found the root of the problem. I would think that if it is down to the memory it is faulty in some way as I use Corsair modules all the time and haven't had any problems with compatibility so far. I do check on the website first to make sure that the particular model is listed as compatible though. I would also recommend only using matched kits not individual modules.

Anyway keep us informed of your progress please.

Good luck.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 03:43:48 pm »
Thanks for the reply Dark Mantis :)

The stress testing seems to be going well without any issues at all. There are no errors in the eventvwr so far. The CPU is holding at around 45c after over 12 hours on the blend test. I have not yet overclocked. I hope that I have indeed found the root of the problem - I would hate to have to RMA the CPU or anything else.

I set up the RMA of the memory already and they (newegg.com) are charging me a restocking fee of $8.50, plus I have to pay to ship the ram back to get a refund! >:(  It cost me $13 to send back the first motherboard to them with the damaged socket. Whatever...

I'm thinking about getting this kit as a replacement:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104255

Look good? Anyone have these?

Whats odd to me is that the corsair memory tested fine in memtest after 3 passes. How can the memory test fine but not when installing or running windows? I did check the .pdf on gigabyte's site for memory compatibility but I was only able to find a similar part number but not an exact match. I thought this was OK. I guess you really have to find an exact match on the part numbers.

Thanks again for your assistance on this matter.

ex58

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 04:24:00 pm »

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 05:45:17 pm »
Yes you must have an exact match, close enough is not any good. I wouldn't rely on Gigabyte's website QVL for the memory thouigh as it is very limited. Go to the memory manufacturer's website and check for your motherboard against their module list.

The probl;em you had with checking with Memtest is that you didn't do it properly. Three loops is nowhere near enough, you should do ten loops at least on each module singly. This does take some time but is worth doing as you have now proved. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 06:05:52 pm »
Rev.1.3 on Gigabyte official site.  ;D
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3978#bios

Thanks ex58! They must have JUST added this revision to the site or after I sent them pictures of my board. Its funny both you and the Gigabyte tech notified me of this around the same time, Ha-ha! Sadly, the f8 BIOS is not available just yet, but I'll try it later when I get home.

Yes you must have an exact match, close enough is not any good. I wouldn't rely on Gigabyte's website QVL for the memory thouigh as it is very limited. Go to the memory manufacturer's website and check for your motherboard against their module list.

The probl;em you had with checking with Memtest is that you didn't do it properly. Three loops is nowhere near enough, you should do ten loops at least on each module singly. This does take some time but is worth doing as you have now proved. ;)

I'll check the Kingston site when I get home for compatibility on that new set I linked above earlier. I didn't think to run the memtest so thoroughly but as you mentioned, I should have done so and yes - I've proven that ;)

I'll keep you guys updated with my progress and I'll post my overclocking results when I get that far (In the appropriate forum channel of course).

Thanks again everyone!

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 09:41:34 pm »
Thanks ex58! They must have JUST added this revision to the site or after I sent them pictures of my board. Its funny both you and the Gigabyte tech notified me of this around the same time, Ha-ha! Sadly, the f8 BIOS is not available just yet, but I'll try it later when I get home.

I too noticed that! Very funny.

Hopefully things will be better now anyway. Your board is also officially recognised as real!
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2011, 03:40:03 am »
Another update:

I've had no issues so far with the loaner Kingston ram. The PC is 24hrs prime95 stable and runs Battlefield 3 beautifully! When I get the new kit of Kingston ram (1600mhz instead of the 1333 im using now) I'll let you guys know of the stability and of course my overclocking results.

Thanks again everyone for the help! :)

Dark Mantis

• Dark Mantis
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 07:00:18 am »
Good news and we will wait to hear how things go. ;)
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB