Official GIGABYTE Forum

870A-USB 3L - Wont POST - No Display - No Beeps - Only Fans Run

870A-USB 3L - Wont POST - No Display - No Beeps - Only Fans Run
« on: October 30, 2011, 09:38:30 pm »
Ordered some bits from Misco UK to build a new machine. Everything arrived ok except the box containing the motherboard which was damaged and had 'resealed' tape all over it.

The motherboard was still in one piece with no obvious damage so I signed for it but the delivery driver put a note to say the packaging was damaged in case there was any problem.

Built the new machine and found that when the power switch is engaged on the front panel the CPU, GPU and case fans come on at low speed but there is no output on the screen and no POST beeps from the speaker attached to the motherboard. Intermittently when I switch it on the GPU fan comes on at full speed. There are also no lights lit up on the motherboard but I am not sure if this board has any little LED's fitted to it?

I thought there may be an issue with the power supply so I replaced it with a good quality 500w supply but have the same symptoms.

I have since gone through all the usual checks:

- disconnected all drives and non-essential components
- removed ram and replaced with a known working module
- removed and refitted the CPU & heatsink - even tried booting with no CPU which gives the same result
- removed the GPU and fitted in a different PCI socket
- cleared CMOS
- checked PSU outputs with multimeter
- confirmed that 24 pin & 8 pin connectors are fitted securely

All the signs are there for a damaged / faulty motherboard. Just wanted to check in case I missed anything before sending it back.

Spec of machine as follows:

Gigabyte 870A-USB 3L Mobo
XFX pro series 500W supply
Phenom X4 965 CPU
ATI HD6870 GPU
Kingston HyperX RAM - 2GB
Maxtor 80GB SATA l drive

The only item not new is the hard drive as I am waiting for a new one to arrive.

Any last ideas before I sent the motherboard back to be swapped?

Many thanks

David

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:42:17 pm by davo1983 »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: 870A-USB 3L - Wont POST - No Display - No Beeps - Only Fans Run
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 11:19:39 am »
Hi

I personally wouldn't have accepted delivery of the parcel if it was in that sort of condition anyway as it was asking for trouble. I would arrange to send it back for a replacement straight away. Make sure that they know about the state of the parcel on delivery and if you took any send some photos  to confirm that you are telling the truth.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB