Official GIGABYTE Forum

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O feature for GA-PH67-UD3-B3 MO

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Hello

If you want to virtualize VMWARE ESXi 4.1 or 3.5 , you need a ICH7 bridge ( Northern or Southern  I don't remember )  AND  an ethernet adapter
that VMWARE  agrees .
The Cheapest one is  Intel(R) PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter .

I need for professionnal  purpose to try VMWARE ESXi5 and XENSERVER 5 and later so I do wait for a solution from  RUNN3R.

Cheers.

L From France

Hi LBMANIX,  ;)

Is it correct, according to your information, that motherboards must have a LAN intel?

If not, is it possible to add a network adaptercard with an Intel chip?

If I put the website vm-help.com in a previous message, so you have the opportunity to get help to ensure that software and XEN VM running on GA- PH67 -B3-UD3.

Best regards,

Gloup_Gloup

LBMANIX

Hello ,

Thanks for the help , but it appears that the gang of three ( Microsoft with HYPER-V, VMWARE with ESXi 5.0 , Citrix with XENSERVER ) had
something like an "agreement" . I'm joking . To implement hose  3 features  or to virtualize them  , one needs  VTD IO features enabled on the BIOS.

For the particular case of VMWARE ESX , it's a very peculiar  product and one has to read very well the compatibility  list it releases for each product.

If you don't tread their line , your setup just get stopped and there is no way to work around.( By the way : ESXi3.5  requires also VTD for Intel Chipset  or AMD-V for AMD chipset in addition to the aforementionned  ICH7 + Network adapter  )

For VMWARE ESX  , its a best practice to have at least 2 ethernet  adapter card for High availability. Any non recognised card is just ignored and appears nowhere in your environment .

It took me two months to find out a mobo that met the requiremnts for VMWARE ESXi3.5. It still works for ESXi4.1 but nomore for ESXi5.0.
( see reason  erstwhile ).

Hope that would help someone and cheers

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Hi LBMANIX

I've just read your PM, will check how I can help you. Sorry for delay. Please wait for my message

= update=

This topic has been discussed already. You will find the answer at:
(...)
I have just received an answer from Gigabyte regarding this particular issue. It is as follows.

"Currently our P67/H67 series motherboards do not support VT-D. They support  Virtualization Technology (VT-x) now (bios option "Virtualization Technology") which is different from VT-D (Virtualization for Directed I/O). But we can prepare special bios on customer's request. It usually takes a few weeks. The request can be applied by GGTS for instance for the particular MB model.

The same situation applies to support of VT-D on our socket 1156 and 1366 motherboards.
Please note that the CPU also needs to support VT-D to have all platform supporting this technology."

GGTS: http://ggts.gigabyte.com/
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 10:20:32 am by runn3R »
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

LBMANIX

Hello RUNN3R

Thanks for answering , but unfortunately i already asked for help in FRANCE by GGTS and they answered that they got none of any update like that in store and to ask for help HERE with YOU !!!!

I sent another application  just some minutes ago and i shall forward  you the answer ( I'm afraid it would be  the same answer ).

You are my last hope before buying a DELL Server  ( which is much more expensive).

LBMANIX

Hello ,

It's very stange  because it remunds me  french administration quite a bit : The UK site of GGTS  replied today "Dear Sir/Madam :

The purpose of this mail is to inform you that your question sent to GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY earlier has been replied. If you cannot connect to the reply by clicking on the image above, please cut and paste the entire Web address
below into the address field of your browser to read our reply :

http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/gtsemail.asp?UserEmail=xxxxxx&EmailID=xxxxx&EmailPreviousID=1129801&OpenEmail=Y&LanguageID=9

In case that doesn't work, please go to http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw and login with your email address to read the mail.
"
and the french site told me to contact  the UK site !!!

anyway  my mind is made up and to get my VT-D Ill  buy a del server first price is around  800 Euros , not much more expensive than  the server I built up with this Gigabyte MOBO.

Bye and thanks a lot

runn3R

• Admin
    • GIGABYTE UK
Hi LBMANIX

Following our PM conversations during previous days - I have contacted Gigabyte France and received reply they will take care of your inquiry. I hope this way you will get support of this function.

Have a nice weekend!
ZX-S & C64 are still my favourites ;-)

LBMANIX

Hello ,
Better deal with G.. than with his saints.
I Finally got what i wanted : build a W2K8R2 farm withs VMWARE ESXi5.0 , Xenservers 5.6 , W2K8R2 Hyper-V , under VMAWARE WORKSTATION 8.0 (trial version°
The trick was simple : i bought the motherboard INTEL  DQ67SW + CPU INTEL Core i7 2600 + 16Go RAM  / on the mobo was embedded a INTEL PRO 10/100/1000 Network connection !!! ) . There I got to enable in the bios  Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O  feature.I then Installed WINDOWS 7 PRO 64 bits. VMWARE WORKSTATION 8.0 ( Trial ). In every each Virtual machine , i activated in the PROCESSOR section  VIRTUALIZE INTEL VT-x/EPT or AMD-V/RVI.

VMWARE ESXi5.0 built withoutany problem
XENSERVER 5.6 also ==> beware when you burn the .ISO from CITRIX , corrupted files can give youthrills  during the install
W2K8 R2 + Hyper-V ==> i had tomap the .ISO  on a share / the CD-DVD device was not mapped
Hope this helps  somebody

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Hi LBMANIX, ;)

As I understand it, you'll keep the GA-PH67-UD3-B3 and have an Intel DQ67SW.

Anyone, but especially runn3R (or LBMANIX) can tell me what the motherboard GA-Q67M-D2H-B3 do not answer the needs of LBMANIX?

GA-Q67M-D2H-B3
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3824#ov
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3824#manual

A response with technical details would be appreciated.
After all, I worked hard on this topic.  :P

Gloup_Gloup