Official GIGABYTE Forum

Question about 790FXT-UD5P, 1.8V and 1.5V RAM

ngom52

Question about 790FXT-UD5P, 1.8V and 1.5V RAM
« on: September 14, 2009, 10:24:22 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on using the 790FXT-UD5P motherboard with 1.8V RAM modules (Crucial Ballistix 10600 2x2GB) so the main question is, do I need to use a standard 1.5V module first to reach the BIOS, increase the RAM voltage to 1.8V and only then swap the RAM to the 1.8V modules, or will the motherboard work with 1.8V modules from the very beginning i.e. without changing the BIOS setting first?

If I do need to use the 1.5V RAM first, can the system boot to BIOS if I put a single stick anywhere but the slot closest to the CPU socket? This is because I'm planning to use the Prolimatech Megahalems CPU cooler and it's probably going to block the nearest RAM slot. The CPU cooler has a clearance of 40mm from the base to the first "fin" and the height of the RAM is approximately 30mm; I'd really like to avoid the hassle of having to remove the CPU cooler in order to remove the RAM.

One last thing, is there any version of BIOS for this board that does not work at all with an AMD Phenom II 955 BE i.e. can't boot at all? (I'm aware that the processor might run at only half the speed on some versions of the BIOS but I'm not worried about that.)

Apologies for the lengthy question and thanks in advance..........

oggmonster

• I can see Russia from my house
Re: Question about 790FXT-UD5P, 1.8V and 1.5V RAM
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 02:57:45 pm »
If its 1.8v modules it should automatically detect that. If not you can manually set it in the BIOS :)
There's no place like ::1

Re: Question about 790FXT-UD5P, 1.8V and 1.5V RAM
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:53:31 pm »
I can confirm this board is fine booting with 1.8V modules. I've got this board with the 955BE and 1.8V Corsair DDR3 ram and it boots fine with the default settings. For some reason it sets the voltage to 1.6V, but the machine boots and runs quite happily with those settings, although for reliability I've upped the voltage to the specified 1.8V to be on the safe side.