Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD7: Windows 7 64-bit freezes after cold boot. Hard restart required.

Hi everybody,

I've been having this problem almost ever since I built my PC back in late 2009. After my PC has been switch off for a while. On occasion, booting up cold into Windows 7 64-bit, some times it will freeze after about 5-30 minutes in and hang until the reset button is pushed or power button is held down. The mouse some times is free to move around, but cannot access any thing, before eventually the mouse also freezes up if it hasn't already initially.

This problem doesn't always occur when I cold boot, but it is usually when it occurs. Some times toggling XMP mode starves off the problem for about a week before it returns.

For the past week I left my PC on the entire time and there have been no problems or freezing. But I know I cannot keep my PC powered on forever.

My current specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
     System Model: X58A-UD7 rev. 1 (BIOS version: F7)
               BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         950  @ 3.07GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
             Memory: Corsair CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 x 3 (6144MB RAM)
Available OS Memory: 6142MB RAM
          Page File: 2011MB used, 10271MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

SLI Display drivers:

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT  x 2
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce 9800 GT
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
     Display Memory: 3816 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 1001 MB
      Shared Memory: 2815 MB
       Current Mode: 1280 x 960 (32 bit) (60Hz)

PSU: Antec 1000 watt

I've tried things from updating the BIOS to playing with the memory chips by changing their slot configuration physically as well as voltage settings/XMP mode (which are now currently back to default). I suspect it had some thing to do with my memory sticks and have ordered a new set of chips to see if this could be the problem. But the threads I've been reading whom have a similar problem (with mother boards such as gigabyte X58A-UD3 and X58A-UD7) said changing the memory sticks didn't solve the problem and I have not seen any solutions yet. Not to mention Memtest has passed on the memory sticks I have currently.

Before I try any thing else, I'd thought I'd check on these boards for any help or advice on what the problem could be. But if changing the memory sticks does work, I'll be sure to let every one know.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:40:05 am by Azure Prower »

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics

Welcome Azure Prower

As you no doubt have worked out it could be several (Hundred) things .....when you ran memtest, ....was it in slot 1 and 10 passes for each dimm?

This is the recognized standard to emphatically prove there goodies and all will except that!

One fix that has worked for some people is to simply input the memory timings  manually and up the memory voltage a squeak (if 1.5v....up to 1.55v)

Let us know if the problem persists and we will have a closer look!

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Welcome Azure Prower

As you no doubt have worked out it could be several (Hundred) things .....when you ran memtest, ....was it in slot 1 and 10 passes for each dimm?

This is the recognized standard to emphatically prove there goodies and all will except that!

One fix that has worked for some people is to simply input the memory timings  manually and up the memory voltage a squeak (if 1.5v....up to 1.55v)

Let us know if the problem persists and we will have a closer look!

Aussie Allan

Done playing with the RAM. Did all you said when I posted my issue on the Corsair forums. Nothing worked.

Going to be replacing the RAM sticks with an entirely different brand tomorrow. So that will totally rule out the RAM as being the problem if the issues continue.

Aussie Allan

DONE!....let me know if that works....if not we'll take it from there!

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

I've now placed in 3 Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K3/12GX memory sticks at default settings. First cold start has had no problems. But I'd say give it a week or two before I find out if it was a success or not.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 02:43:04 am by Azure Prower »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
I can't say I am surprised that you were having problems with the original memory modules as they are not recommmended for this motherboard. Corsair RAM is really good stuff but as with everything it has to be matched to the chipset/motherboard. If memory serves me right the set you have bought comes as a 4 piece kit not 3 anyway. Have you just left one out ?

I have the same board as you and use Corsair Dominator RAM the CM3X2G1600C8D which is supported as a matched tripple channel kit and it works wonderfully. You must check your intended purchase for support before buying it.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Aussie Allan

Welcome again Azure Prower 

Dual, triple  and quad channel is a fantastic technology......but to use it effectively or at all......the right modules have to be purchased in the first place.......the days of just whacking in any memory and firing up the beast are gone forever ;)

Prices will come down as they always do but if you want a scary thought....."goggle" Quad channel kits that are available for the soon to be released  X79 platform.

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Indeed. I was only aware that my motherboard didn't support quad channel shortly after my purchase when these freezing issues started occurring back in 2009. So I had removed one memory stick and put them in the correct slot format for triple channel.

The people at Corsair assured me that it would still work fine, even though the memory sticks wasn't on the recommended list: http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Memory/mb_memory_ga-x58a-ud7.pdf

So I'm putting the theory to the test with some memory sticks that were on the list. Which are now installed into my PC's setup.

Aussie Allan

Azure Prower

As you said .....it should work.....Corsair is a top notch manufacturer and supplier.....there quality control right from purchasing the very best chips through to assembly and quality control ensures compatibility across a wide range of third party platforms.

Go with what the corsair support said but please keep us in the loop if you don't mind..... it really help us here when we get the gos with peoples problems and how Manufactures treat them  re after sales service.

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

I spent weeks going with corsair support and they eventually just said RMA it as there was nothing else they could suggest.

How ever, I tested the new memory sticks. Same results occurred today. A little less than a week from when I installed them. The freezing returns.

So now I know for sure, the problem is not with the RAM. The question is now what else it could be.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 09:56:56 am by Azure Prower »

Aussie Allan

Of the long list of gigabyte support software and the USB3 (driver package).....are you using any or all of these ?

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Of the long list of gigabyte support software and the USB3 (driver package).....are you using any or all of these ?

Aussie Allan

Short of installing new marvell drivers (heard it is not recommended). I have installed all the latest drivers from: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3251#driver

Aussie Allan

Azure Prower

Not drivers I was referring to but the support software (probably should have said Utility's) like Smart6, Dynamic Energy Saver™ 2 ext .... all of these can play havoc with stability on the X58 platform...... another trick is to disable all C state BIOS....anything that can be associated with energy saving can play havoc.....The last one as stated earlier is the USB3 and drivers.....If disabled also can have an impact on stability.....If disabled in BIOS it will just revert to USB2

Once true stability has been established......you can introduce the ones you feel you need or want one at a time checking stability along the way....

Hope this helps from one X58 owner to another
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Azure Prower

Not drivers I was referring to but the support software (probably should have said Utility's) like Smart6, Dynamic Energy Saver™ 2 ext .... all of these can play havoc with stability on the X58 platform...... another trick is to disable all C state BIOS....anything that can be associated with energy saving can play havoc.....The last one as stated earlier is the USB3 and drivers.....If disabled also can have an impact on stability.....If disabled in BIOS it will just revert to USB2

Once true stability has been established......you can introduce the ones you feel you need or want one at a time checking stability along the way....

Hope this helps from one X58 owner to another

I have not seen any of those utilities before. So I would assume no.

Not sure what you mean by C state BIOS.

USB3 controller I could possibly disable it in BIOS, how ever I don't think it is the problem.

Aussie Allan

It's all in the manual but here's a pickie....

Disable C3/6/7 ...to do with ...( it's in the manual  :Dl)

and EIST and Enhanced halt as well

leave thermal monitor on....in fact read up on this entire page.....it's actually pretty important to a stable X58

"USB3 controller I could possibly disable it in BIOS, how ever I don't think it is the problem." .... you may be surprised....this has been a well documented fix for many......again all I'm doing is giving you a list of all the ones I know.....once you get it stable you can turn on piece by piece to find the gremlin..........as you know ....all PCs are different

Aussie Allan

MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage