Official GIGABYTE Forum

X58a-ud7 - rev 1 ide to achi , cant boot win 7

andyvee

X58a-ud7 - rev 1 ide to achi , cant boot win 7
« on: March 02, 2012, 11:31:40 am »
Any ideas on why i cant get the marvell drivers setup and booting as ahci . Currently its in the dev mgr as Marvell 91xx sata 6g controller using latest driver , if i switch bios to AHCI it will BSOD , i tried the Microsoft fix , tried removing marvell driver but instead of changing to std msachi ( expected result )  it just changed to std pci ide controller and doing manual check did'nt offer msahci , removing that left me with no boot option so had to do a repair install but still no AHCI .
Seems to be a common issue with a common fix but not working in my case  ??? . All other controllers on my board are setup as ACHI and working fine .

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
Re: X58a-ud7 - rev 1 ide to achi , cant boot win 7
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 07:05:55 am »
Do you have the drive connected to the Marvell port?   Check to be sure!  The Marvell controller ports are 6/7 the middle white ones.

Also be sure you are using the latest BIOS as some older ones had random Marvell issues, and when you update be sure to go into the BIOS and load optimized defaults, then save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS and then go to the Marvell settings and set Firmware mode to Force (Right below the Marvell AHCI/ICE/RAID setting), then save/apply/reboot and let it post towards windows to update the firmware.  Then reboot and enter the BIOS again and set your SATA settings to what you need for windows.

Then you can test the AHCI mode again.  Ohh, sorry I was replying as I read that!  There is no Microsoft fix for Marvell, that only applies to Intel ports, which you should be using anyway as they are far more stable and faster overall.  If you feel you must use the Marvell controller, you have been warned :D, and you may need to do a clean install in AHCI Mode to use AHCI. 

Once you've done the above mentioned, and it doesn't help, try the other Marvell port and see if that matters, some boards had iffy Marvell ports like one would work fine but the other would not work or cause issues.

Again, the Intel port is MUCH better though, and it's suggested that you use it anyway!

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:29:02 am »
Be careful of latest Marvell BIOS, it can screw up your motherboard like it did to mine!!!

Full story here:
http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,8409.0.html

Lsdmeasap

• Gigabyte Support (TweakTown USA)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 09:29:39 am »
That is user error, not the Marvell controller or any BIOS from Gigabyte :D

Just giving you a hard time, no worries.   Hopefully the suggestions I just posted for you will sort that out!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:30:21 am by Lsdmeasap »