Official GIGABYTE Forum

GA-X58A-UD7: Windows 7 64-bit freezes after cold boot. Hard restart required.

Alright. When I get around to loading into the BIOS. I'll try out these fixes.

Thanks for the picture by the way. I don't usually like making changes in the BIOS unless I know what they do.

Aussie Allan

• A yoyo uses all three fundermental laws of phisics

there all in the Manual and well documented on the net........Riding a bike ;)

Aussie Allan
i7-4790K @4.8GHz 24/7 water clock
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage
C: Evo 970 Pro 512gb
Scratch:Evo 970 Plus 512gb

Oh yes. I got the manual right in front of me in hard copy form. Just there's so many options that are not relevant to my issue until you point it out where they are. :)

Just not fond of feeling my way through the BIOS. I always try to leave it alone and usually leave it on default settings if I can help it. Last thing I would want to do is create more issues for myself by messing around with the options that I may or may not understand what they do from the brief description in the manual.

Aussie Allan

Totally understand......if you pick just one .....and goggle....you'll end up with about 500,000hits :D

What a lot of these C states for instance end up doing is stuffing around with a nice constant , stable voltage to the CPU....near on all overclocker will disable anything that introduces variations in supplied voltage to get stability on the knife edge so to speak.....this as you have found out can have benefits with even memory at stock speeds and voltages........on of the biggest differences I can give to you on a platter.....is disable, go to sleep, hibinate and low power states while-inactive (in, control panel/ power options/Power management profiles) even set the monitor to off I have set at 1 hr!

If you feel you're groping in the dark....pick one....goggle and do some reading.....then disable just that one and see if it has the desired effect

Aussie Allan
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 01:24:18 pm by Aussie Allan »
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Yes it is fairly safe to disable all power saving and sleep settings in the BIOS and Windows. A lot of people forget that Windows has a lot of the same settings so need to be disabled too.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

It's all in the manual but here's a pickie....

Disable C3/6/7 ...to do with ...( it's in the manual  :Dl)

and EIST and Enhanced halt as well

leave thermal monitor on....in fact read up on this entire page.....it's actually pretty important to a stable X58

"USB3 controller I could possibly disable it in BIOS, how ever I don't think it is the problem." .... you may be surprised....this has been a well documented fix for many......again all I'm doing is giving you a list of all the ones I know.....once you get it stable you can turn on piece by piece to find the gremlin..........as you know ....all PCs are different

Aussie Allan

Alright. Kept my PC powered on since the last freeze that I posted.

Going back to Allan's post. I went into the BIOS and disabled what he said.

C3/6/7 was of course disable by default. Enhanced I disabled and EIST I disabled. Though a little concerned about disabling EIST as it dynamically reduces the CPUs voltage to reduce average power consumption and heat. I wouldn't want my CPU to over heat or any thing even though I have warnings and Thermal monitor enabled.

Also disabled the USB 3 in BIOS for good measure.

Going to power off my PC tonight and see how it goes in the morning.

Give me about a week to see if that did any thing to help. If the freezes come back before then, I'll come back and post sooner about it.

Okay. It's been a week. Not a single freeze yet!

I think that may have been solution. :)

Two years to figure this out and all it could of been was a simple option toggled off in the BIOS. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Edit: Nevermind. Guess what? After I made this post, I went on youtube, opened up a video. It froze 10 seconds into it. The same freeze that I've been getting as always.

I think my PC just likes to taunt me some times. :(
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 03:15:38 am by Azure Prower »

Aussie Allan

All the little tweaks seem to have had an effect.....that good news .... next one is to provide just a nudge to the voltage of the memory and the CPU.

Pick the memory first I would and bump the memory up one notch or two if it's running pretty standard and do an extended test again.......If it persists........do the same for the CPU .

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

All the little tweaks seem to have had an effect.....that good news .... next one is to provide just a nudge to the voltage of the memory and the CPU.

Pick the memory first I would and bump the memory up one notch or two if it's running pretty standard and do an extended test again.......If it persists........do the same for the CPU .

Aussie Allan

Changing the options in the BIOS has had the same effect as it did toggling XMP mode. ie. It stops freezing for a week and comes back.

When playing around with my ram voltages as directed by Corsair, I changed the voltages for the CPU to 1.3v and the DRAM to 1.66v.

Freezes still occurred. So that didn't help.

My voltages are back to default now by the way.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 09:20:41 am by Azure Prower »

Aussie Allan

If I'm reading what you posted correctly  ....   My voltages are back to default now by the way. .... you'll have the best chance of a stable platform using all the tweaks in unison .

Looking for the single magic bullet to fix the problem I don't think is the best way forward...you proved "C" state worked to some extent.....add to it!

Where dealing with the PC god .... there's no hard rules  ;)

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Alright.

I've bumped my QPI from 1.2v default to 1.3v.

I've bumped my DRAM from 1.5v to 1.6v.

Still fully expecting a freeze to happen. Where to go from here in case it does?

Aussie Allan

Wait till the fat lady sings me thinks!

Aussie Allan
MSI XPower AC
32GB corsair  2666Mhz
 GTX-1070Ti full cover
Lange DDC elite pump
G changer360 Rad x2
Phobya 450 balancer
W10 Pro-64
Zigor 2000 UPS
1x500GB for clone
6x2tb- raid5-Storage

Froze again today.

Though my UPS saved me from a brown out minutes before hand is the only thing I can think of that is noteworthy before the freeze.

Symptoms have returned. Booted up my computer and logged into Windows 7. Froze on my desktop. Upping the voltage, may have helped. Though I don't know how much higher I can go before I would be harming my system by heat if I try to up it more.

My PC has also been doing some weird things, the day before it suddenly started to have graphical lag with the sound cutting out until I restarted my computer. I have no clue what caused it either.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:19:32 pm by Azure Prower »

Another freeze, only 6 days apart this time around. Running the same settings that I have reported last.

Feeling like there is no solution to this problem.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:21:32 pm by Azure Prower »