Official GIGABYTE Forum

GTX 560 Ti problems (crashing drivers + blackscreens)

Pethe

GTX 560 Ti problems (crashing drivers + blackscreens)
« on: November 13, 2011, 04:02:09 pm »
Hello everyone,

I've been looking through many topics already to find a solution for my problem, but I did not really find any. I just bought the GTX 560 Ti (overclocked edition) a couple of weeks ago, but I keep having problems with it.

First of all I my computer suddenly crashed and rebooted, sometimes even while Windows was booting. I reinstalled the drivers and it seemed to work, but when playing certain games (for example Crysis 2) it crashed after a while (10-15 minutes).

First of all I thought it'd be a temperature problem so I ran several benchmarks and other tools to detect temperature, but it never went above 60°C and usually did not even reach more than 50°C, while having 29°C on the desktop.

So I visited the forums and saw that a new bios was released, I updated it (2 weeks ago) and every game is working fine for now, and I did not have a problem during the first week at all, but some days ago I started to have blackscreens again and see that the drivers were restarted - but only on the desktop or when using Firefox. The screen stays black for 2-5 seconds and the driver has to be restarted.

On other sites I read that downclocking the card would help, but I did not really bought an OC card to downclock it. I also heard that changing the voltage could solve it, but I don't want to do that because I'm very sure it'd remove my warranty. :)

I actually do not want to return the card since its performance is great and it's also running without much noise, so from that side I'm totally happy with the card. However I hope that this problem can be solved, since it's really annoying.

Any kind of help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Information: I use Windows 7 64 Bit, just for the case that it might be needed to know that.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 04:09:20 pm by Pethe »

Keytay

Re: GTX 560 Ti problems (crashing drivers + blackscreens)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 03:58:57 am »
I just posted this in another thread, then saw yours.

Just want to let you know of a solution that has fixed my crashing ( I had complete system freeze with in minutes in BF3 constantly with the gigabyte gfx560ti OC)

Using the latest MSI Afterburner I raised the voltage to 1050. That's it.
Card still runs cool (max temp 59)
Not one crash for many hours now.
I didn't flash bios either.

drivers 285.62

No need to under clock.

Pethe

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 07:58:57 am »

Using the latest MSI Afterburner I raised the voltage to 1050. That's it.
Card still runs cool (max temp 59)
First of all thanks for the answer, but would not I lose my warranty when I do that? I do not really want to do that, since if anything goes wrong I wasted all the money.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 08:52:39 pm »
In general Gigabyte are very understanding when it comes to updating BIOS/firmware, drivers, changing voltages and overclocking within reason. They actually condone overclocking and even run annnual events themselves. GOOC.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:53:31 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Pethe

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:55:48 pm »
In general Gigabyte are very understanding when it comes to updating BIOS/firmware, drivers, changing voltages and overclocking within reason. They actually condone overclocking and even run annnual events themselves. GOOC.
Hmm but there is still the risk that I can't return it when it gets damaged, wether it was my fault or not. Also when it'd work now and gets damaged in a year I could not return it then, that risk is too high for me.

Please do not take the followingt personal, I know you are only a volunteer on the forums and help as much as you can (thanks for that by the way!), but in my opinion Gigabyte is responsable for that problem and should release a new BIOS version to fix it. They can't seriously expect users who spend ~200€ into a graphics card lose their warranty because they have to change the voltage, there has to be a way to solve it... I could return it at the shop and get a new one, but since my card works perfectly fine except for the voltage issue (which is just a setting, not physical damage) that would not solve it: I'd still have the same issue with the new card.

Is there any chance for a new BIOS being released? Actually there has to be an update... Otherwise it's not acceptable and I wonder why the card is still getting sold.

UPDATE: It's kinda weird that it never crashs in game or benchmark (Heaven Benchmark was running over 60 minutes without any problem), but on the desktop. Maybe it's a problem with one of the"power saving" modes in the driver/BIOS (not sure how that is managed), when the clock speeds and voltage go down (#1:  0,950V // 405 MHz Core Clock // 162 MHz Memory Clock // 810 MHz Shader Clock      ----      #2:  0,950V // 50,6 MHz Core Clock // 67,5 MHz Memory Clock // 101 MHz Shader Clock )?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 06:06:47 pm by Pethe »

teknology9

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 06:47:18 pm »
Hi,

If you are unsure and just to make sure, why don't you contact GGTS and see if they can find a solution for you, try this link:

http://uk.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/support-downloads.aspx

Yes you have spent alot of €'s on that GPU so why not contact the manufacturer and see what advice they offer first and take it from there, but of course the choice is yours.

Teknology9
Windows 11Home Edition
NZXT Phantom
Seasonic Platinum 1000w
Noctua NH-U12P SE2
Corsair 16GB 3200
Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev 1.5
MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 Gaming X 4G
Ryzen 5 5600
Samsung 970 Evo Plus - 250GB
Samsung 830 SSD - 250GB
PC building.........it's no fun if it's easy!!!

Pethe

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 07:28:28 pm »
Hi,

If you are unsure and just to make sure, why don't you contact GGTS and see if they can find a solution for you, try this link:

Yes you have spent alot of €'s on that GPU so why not contact the manufacturer and see what advice they offer first and take it from there, but of course the choice is yours.

Teknology9
I wil do that, thanks for the information. :)

Pethe

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 06:15:50 pm »
Hi,

Teknology9
I wil do that, thanks for the information. :)

I just received an answer.

In my request I mentioned my BIOS version as well as driver version, both were up to date and the latest available.

However the Gigabyte support told me to download the new BIOS (including a link) which was the old one which I already use... The same happened with the drivers...

And instead of releasing a new BIOS, they also told me to downclock to normal speeds.

I am really disappointed by Gigabyte at this point, honestly, I am not sure wether I'll buy a Gigabyte product ever again. I did for the first time and the support is kinda bad (even forum users are more helpful than Gigabyte...).

If there won't be another update for the BIOS, I will return the card and ask to get my money back. Instead will get a Zotac or Asus card. Still hoping for an update though, the performance and noise level are great...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:16:41 pm by Pethe »