Official GIGABYTE Forum

"No Audio Output Device is installed" ???? Realtek HD audio, GA-EP45-DS5 MB

pjdon2

I've done a few searches on the net and nobody's solutions for this problem seem to work for me!

I'm having big problems with my realtek onboard audio device.

I have recently (at the start of the week) put together this computer and have not had any issues until now.

I installed all MB driver software and other components drivers with the latest drivers. everything worked at this stage and did so for 2 days.

on day 3 i booted up the computer and had the following error on the start bar "No Audio Output Device is installed" with an icon of a white speaker with a red circle over it and a white cross inside the circle.

When i investigate the hardware device manager i only find "high definition audio device" when i investigate properties it is running on a microsoft driver. if i try to update the driver with the realtek audio driver it says "device driver is up to date".

In the "Manage Audio Devices" window only one device is listed - Digital Audio Device (HDMI), high definition audio device. I assume this is the HDMI port on my graphics card. I've tried disabling and rebooting.

I've tried changing the settings in the bios, (some people suggest changing AUTO to ENABLE, however my gigabyte board doen't allow me to - only options are AUTO or DISABLE) no luck.  I've updated the MB BIOS. still no luck.

i've uninstalled and re-installed the drivers for my graphics card and the onboard sound. no dice.

My comp specs are as follows:
MB : Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5 rev 1.0
BIOS Ver : Latest (12/11/09)
GPU: XFX HD5850
CPU: Intel q9400 @ 2.66GHz
Operation System : Windows Vista  SP2

I'm really stuck here, it seems ridiculous to purchase a sound card to fix the problem, anyone had this prob or know how to solve?

Pottypete

pjdon2

Thanks Pottypete, I've give some of those methods a go tonight.

I have tried that "scan for new hardware" thing already and didn't help unfortunately.

R_N_B

This is a common problem - here at work we found that it was solved by migrating all our machines to Win7. Not suggesting that is what you need to do mate but we no longer even install the device drivers for sound, we just let the windows drivers do all the work. I can not hear the difference but then I do not like the Opera either.  ;D

pjdon2

Hey guys,  so I tried everything on that link that pottypete posted unfortunately still nothing.

Windows cant seem to be able to recognise my onboard audio.

I also emailed Gigabyte tech support and this was the response, I'm starting to think it may be a hardware failure rather than a driver vista thing....I'm going to try it:

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, because several possibilities might cause the problems, such as something wrong with motherboard, BIOS, driver, attached hardwares...etc. We suggest that you could try to do a simple test first:

Remove such as add-on cards, devices from motherboard, only install CPU, single memory, single HDD, VGA card and power (simple environment), and make sure the components on the motherboard are installed properly, then please take off the on-board battery to leak voltage to clear CMOS data by following the steps below:

1) Turn off power.
2) Remove the power cord from the PSU.
3) Take out the battery gently and put it aside for about 5 minutes or longer. (Or you can use a metal object to connect the two pins in the battery holder to make them short-circuited.)
4) Re-insert the battery to the battery holder.
5) Connect power cord to PSU again and turn on power.
6) Power on your system.
7) If BIOS can POST, please enter the BIOS and load the fail-safe defaults setting.
7) Save changes and reboot the system.

After clearing CMOS and load the fail-safe defaults, please test the audio in a simple environment to observe the result. If there's nothing wrong in simple environment, try to install several additional cards into the slot one by one to observe the result again and again.

But, if the problem still occurs, then there may be a hardware problem with the audio controller, a further testing or examination to your system might be required. We suggest you can contact your supplier or nearest distributor and see if they can help you to test your system directly. For distributor contact information, please click HERE.

We are really sorry for the inconvenience you have with our product.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

pjdon2

alright I think what i might have is a hardware failure, Vista doesn't recognise any onboard audio devices.

I have HDMI on my video card, so i switched with my old one and now there are no audio devices in the sound controllers menu.

any final suggestions before i send it back?   :(

Pottypete

Hi,
Yup seems the only thing to do,
Can't say you never tried, WoW talk about the kitchen sink m8,
could you please let us know how you get on after the RMA,
Here's the email addy, if you have not already got it,. returns@gbt-tech.co.uk
You will find them a great bunch of gal's n guy's there,
Regards

pjdon2

haha, cheers mate.  thanks to pottypete - one of the posts on your link clued me into the computer startup post where my onboard sound was not posting.  I've taken the MB back to the store i purchased from as they have an in-store waranty and they are going to replace it with a better MB. WIN

cheers