Official GIGABYTE Forum

Upgrade from GA-P35-DS4

Re: Upgrade from GA-P35-DS4
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 07:45:59 pm »
Hi guys
Thanks for all the previous info really helpful just fiiling you in with recent developments.
I managed to get in contact with rma and sent my mobo off to them.
I then got an email saying that no problem has been detected and the bios has been upgraded.
This is where i am starting to get worried.
I tested this motherboard at home with bare bones connected ie out the case with ram cpu and graphics card obviously it did not work. So i tested it without ram, 1 stick of ram , no graphics card and just the cpu, bascially every which way possible and still no joy. I then decided to pay a computer repair shop £15 to test it themselves, obviously they have access to more components than me so they are able to give it a through test. They came back saying that it is the motherbaord that is the issue. It was after this extensive testing that i decided to RMA the board, which cost me £8.50 special delivery plus a £10 postal order for the return.

The problem with the motherboard is as follows. Turn on pc, fans spin for a second and then reboot a continous loop . I have looked online and i have heard that it is a common faullt with this board. I have also heard that some people have sent the mobo onto the repair center and after been told that the baord is fine, it works for a bit and then does the same thing a few days later. I am not saying this will happen to me but i am just a bit concerned and would like to know if anybody has experinced anything simliar from Gigabyte RMA uk as it would seem odd that i and a computer repair shop could be both wrong

Just to add i have the first editon of this board
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:03:19 pm by BADAMAN »

Pottypete

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2009, 09:20:31 pm »
Hi,
Sorry to hear your still having problems
Are Your Ballistix  rated @ 4-4-4-12 with 2.0 volts?
If I'm right DDR2 motherboards only give 1.80 volts by default.
Put your "DDR2 Overvoltage Control" on + 0.20 (1.80 + 0.20 = 2.0) Try it and see!,
Or,
Have you got a value ram stick  that runs at 1.8 volts to try it with?
you could boot with that and set the ram voltage up to 2.0volts,the npower off and change over yor ram,
Regards

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2009, 09:28:33 pm »
I have not got access to any other ram pete but  surley it would at least POST or something without ram and just the cpu plugged in.When i do the screwdriver test there is nothing, no beeps, cant get into bios, just the cpu fan  spins a few seconds, then reboots, spins ,reboots.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 09:29:33 pm by BADAMAN »

Pottypete

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 10:00:51 pm »
Hi,
Can you explain your problem that led you to believe you had a faulty motherboard in your first post,(was it this failure to post) or some other problems?
just noticed we have the same surname, haha same clan,
I think it should give something for sure, Is your PSU Ok
Can't think of anything else to help you mate I'm out of idea's
You got the paperwork from gigabyte of the testing done, drop them an email or give them a ring explaining the situation,
And see what they can reccomend,
Explain the screwdriver test to me, is it just shorting the power button pin outs your doing?
Cheers
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:06:56 pm by Pottypete »

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 10:58:03 pm »
HI mate, funnny that with the surname.
Yeah the PSU is fine as i have tested the mobo wth a spare one myself.
Ill wait and see what they say tomorrow. Yeah the screwdriver test is just shorting the pins out.
Thanks for the help anyway pete ill let you know how i get on.