Official GIGABYTE Forum

GIGABYTE latest / beta BIOS for Intel CPU motherboards

Darkje

Re: GIGABYTE latest / beta BIOS for Intel CPU motherboards
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2012, 11:08:14 am »
Okay, here are my findings on Z68X-UD3H-B3-r1.3 and the U1E bios for it:

The backup bios is flashed over by flashefi.exe, the flashing procedure can be seen repeated twice, and the rescue procedure with the power button and and switch confirm that, restoring from backup also gives the uefi one, there is no way back it seems. (edit: did not know about the ctrl/alt f10 but suppose those are the keys now?)

Everything seems to be there, except the vcore and llc settings, the mem section is extended with some parameters that are new to me and where not there in the award bios. The autopilot of the mem section seems to do a better job than before, at first I could not run 2133 w everyting at auto, now it gave me c9-13-13-36,1t and passed memtest too at that setting.

Non of the gigabyte apps will install anymore, it's either 'not a gigabyte board' or 'chipset not supported' when running the ap.  ET6 (preinstalled) was working, but without the vcore so I decicded to try and upgrade,  after removing the current one  the new one would not install anymore.

SLI is not working, have the two cards in, but no way to set them to SLI from windows, reinstalled the drivers ofcourse, but still no luck, could not find settings in bios for it either.

Setting all the multi's in the advanced section does not work like it used to, seems it only reacts to the main multiplier setting.

I'm at 4ghz/2133 not bad at all, but the lack of vcore and sli is holding me back a bit, but I suppose these are in the works, and will work in later updates. It's a pitty the gigabyte soft and other soft like aida stopped working, but it seems these are mainly detection issues that can be fixed by updated apps. (edit: hwinfo64 is working)

All in all it's a refreshing update  to me, but I'm hoping the vcore and sli will be fixed soon.

edit: some images
http://imgur.com/0asN8
http://imgur.com/GJZol
http://imgur.com/lIRhK
http://imgur.com/Xt0yy
http://imgur.com/AnRsk
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:58:12 am by Darkje »

« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2012, 12:19:32 am »
so i see a beta bios for the Z68XP-UD3 and UD4

but I have a UD5.  when will that be coming out? -__-

Fatman

« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2012, 01:22:50 am »
so i see a beta bios for the Z68XP-UD3 and UD4

but I have a UD5.  when will that be coming out? -__-

I hate to say this, but when it does come out, don't flash to it yet as there are some issues that really need to be addressed!!

Since I have flashed to the UEFI on my Z68XP-UD4 I have had quite a few issues and intermittent BSODS with critical code errors. I may need to re-load my OS yet, but, I'm not sure if that will resolve some of these problems I'm now having.

So don't flash yet.......... :-\
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:25:07 am by Fatman »

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2012, 08:01:38 am »
Yes I would agree in principle. If it is your main system and you use it for work or games with multiple GPUs etc then it is probably best to wait for now. On a secondary machine it really is no problem and gives something to play around with.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

Darkje

« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2012, 10:31:26 am »
To me it seems like once the vcore, llc and internal-pll are back it's a decent bios, oh and the sli ofcourse.

Haven't seen any bsod yet, and tested quite a lot at 4ghz/def. vcore, prime  small&blend, linx, 3dm and some games. 8 and 16gb of samsungs, 8gb vengeanceLV all did fine. Also tested siting idle for a couple of hours, since in the past I've seen machines benching fine but giving bsod at idle, but it's doing okay.

So now it's just waiting for the next one or a way back, I suppose. I'm quite imressed by what's done already, so I'm hoping for a quick release.

Darkje

Fatman

« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2012, 11:01:15 am »
From The Tweaktown forum

stasio
 Re: GIGABYTE Latest Beta BIOS
Z68 pre Beta UEFI BIOS's removed from first page,as per Taiwan HQ request.

Well that says it...........
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:01:58 am by Fatman »

ex58

« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2012, 11:27:15 am »
From The Tweaktown forum

stasio

The reason is different......... ::)

Darkje

« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2012, 11:41:09 am »
From The Tweaktown forum

stasio

The reason is different......... ::)

so what's up? just not supposed to be out? or is lethal stuff occuring?

Fatman

« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2012, 11:46:48 am »
Yeh what's up with that????

Darkje

« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2012, 08:43:45 pm »
Fatman: So you flashed too, Did you get vcore control? I didn't. Any luck with solving your bsod's?

Fatman

« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2012, 02:56:32 am »
Fatman: So you flashed too, Did you get vcore control? I didn't. Any luck with solving your bsod's?

Yes I flashed also. I kinda wish I had of held off as I have had some issues. Like you I have no control for Vcore or Memory voltages.

I had a bsod yesterday again to do with 'critical code error' with the machine idling. But nothing I can reproduce as it is a random occurrence. I have even noticed that steam says I am playing from another computer LOL.

« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2012, 04:13:12 am »
I have lock up and it's random when i surf the net after a while it locks up, also i have not updated my bios past the last official bios release, all i did was install i5-3570k in a z68a-d3-b3. :'(
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:35:48 am by wingman99 »

Darkje

« Reply #162 on: May 19, 2012, 11:10:14 am »
Okay well I had the idle random bsod too when I started with this board, esp. when oc-ed and using powersavings. Passing prime and linx for hours and then suddenly a bsod when out for dinner.  But when I just set the max turbo's to forex. 45x and left the main multi at default, voltage did not droop that much on idle, and the bsods stopped comming. So I concluded vcore just drops too much on idle.

Now one would think -it's wasting power- sitting there at 1600-4500 with vcore not going below 1.286v but the cpu-power sensor is showing the same Wattage (<10W) as if the cpu was at 0.8v (thinking ohms law, W=V*A, this can happen if more Amps where flowing with the lower voltage/less Amps at the higher voltage) so that situation was actually not that bad, it terms of Watts and heat.

With the new bios this approach does not work, setting all the turbo's without adjusting the main multi does nothing.

Oh and I could set vdimm with the new one, as almost any other voltage, it's just the vcore and interal-pll-overvoltage I'm missing, the other ones seem teo be there. Perhaps because this z68x is already at the E version (U1e) and yours is still at A.

Fatman

« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2012, 11:28:37 am »
My version is U1B.........

Darkje

« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2012, 12:01:45 pm »
Well if the codes mean anything like before U1b is an earlier rev. than U1e, perhaps explaining why you have even less control.
I guess next rev. is comming up soon, already tried if flashing back would work from qflash or flashspi, but it says it can't. I know it could be forceflashed, but the outcome is too uncertain for me, so I'll just wait ... a bit...

I've made an album at imgur of most bios pages now: http://imgur.com/a/RZTkF#0 for those interested.