Official GIGABYTE Forum

FDD and GA-P55A-UD4 (F15) - problem with write & format operations

fonon

Hi,
I have a problem with my old Teac FDD 3.5" connected to the GA-P55A-UD4. The drive worked fine in the old computer, but now it can't write the data or format the disks. It starts formating but can't finalize the operation (formating make the disks unreadable). The FDD still can read the disks. Unfortunately, I can't check the mb with other FDD, but my Teac was reliable. Any suggestions?
Regards,
f.

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
Re: FDD and GA-P55A-UD4 (F15) - problem with write & format operations
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 04:17:07 am »
Hi fonon, ;)

It is easier and cheaper to buy a new floppy drive.

Me too I use floppy drives on modern hardware.

It costs about 10 Euro or less.

However, before buying a new FDD drive, try to format other disks.
It may be that the disks are damaged or are in a format as mac.

Sometimes the disks may have been demagnetized or otherwise altered.

Gloup_Gloup

fonon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 06:11:09 am »
It is easier and cheaper to buy a new floppy drive. (...) It costs about 10 Euro or less.
I don't think so. Old TEAC is a much better drive than new models, and I have it!
Me too I use floppy drives on modern hardware.
The problem is a compatibility of old FDD, not the use modern drives. The mainboard is equipped  with FDD interface.
However, before buying a new FDD drive, try to format other disks. It may be that the disks are damaged or are in a format as mac.
Sometimes the disks may have been demagnetized or otherwise altered.
As I wrote, the drive reads the disks. I tried to write/format disks used previously with the same drive in the other computer (windows).
Regards,
f.

Gloup_Gloup

• Let us sweet between members, on the forum.
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 06:25:14 am »
The problem is a compatibility of old FDD, not the use modern drives. The mainboard is equipped  with FDD interface.
As I wrote, the drive reads the disks. I tried to write/format disks used previously with the same drive in the other computer (windows).
Regards,
f.

Hi fonon,  ;)

I'm sorry, but I may have misspoken.
I think I meant to say I am using the old floppy drives and the new floppy disk drives with my computers.

Maybe, check a câble connection? Or maybe a electrical cable - data cable is not good. Change it, try it... why not?

EDIT01:

See here : http://images.pricerunner.com/product/200x200/102747574/DeLOCK-Y-cable-Power-Molex-4pin-plug-%3C-Molex-4pin-plug-Buchse-3-1-2-FDD.jpg

EDIT02:

Maybe the electrical cable or data connection FDD of PSU is not good.

Gloup_Gloup.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:18:26 am by Gloup_Gloup »

fonon

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:52:23 am »
It's not a PSU or cable problem. FDD still works fine on DOS. I tried to use it on Windows. Now it's time to linux.
f.