Official GIGABYTE Forum

P55-UD3R 4-pin or 8-pin?

P55-UD3R 4-pin or 8-pin?
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:44:51 am »
Hello everybody,

I have registered to the forums and wanted to ask this question directly to you because it is blowing my mind. I have just bought a P55-UD3R. My other system elements are
CPU:  i5 750
GPU: Ati HD5850
HDD: Seagate 500gb sata
RAM: Kingston 4gb HyperX 2000mhz dual channel
PSU: FSB Bluestorm 2  500W
And I am using Vista Home Premium

Anyway, when I made the installation of my pc, I have realized that my psu has not a 8-pin cpu power connector. Instead there was a 4-pin cable. In the manual it says that 8-pin connector is for 2x4 cables but I may use the 2x2 cable to fill the 4 slots there. My question is that is it safe to use it like that? Considering that i will play high-end games which will consume lots of power. I have looked in internet for a while and some people says you can use it some says you can not. There is also an idea which is you can use 4-pins if you don't have a quad core. I am totally confused.  :(
I am looking forward to your answer. Thank you.

MindLESS

Re: P55-UD3R 4-pin or 8-pin?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:20:06 am »
Using a 4-pin is sometimes possible, however it means that the 4-pin cable has to provide more power - which means it'll get hotter as it has more current flowing through it. When quad cores were coming out and boards prepared for them they had the 8-pin connector on board but if you were using a lower power processor (1 or 2 cores) it would only need a 4-pin connector.

I can't say whether the P55 boards will work with a 4-pin only power - the i5 processers aren't too bad with power compared to others (see Anandtech Intel's Core i7 870 & i5 750 launch article) they do still take a fair amountas they are quad cores.
I've not noticed that much stress on the CPU when playing games - it depends on the game and how multithreaded it is really.

My personal recommendation would be that it does work it would only be a short term solution at best and you would be best getting a new PSU to properly supply the motherboard.

ETNiES

Re: P55-UD3R 4-pin or 8-pin?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 02:27:59 pm »
Since I'd probably guess that your power supply if from your last pc, I'd upgrade to something like a Corsair or an OCZ, you never wanna skimp on a power supply when buying a new PC it will only cause you problems later on down the line!
If I had a hammer.. I'd hammer in morning.