Official GIGABYTE Forum

new win7 install

obxeye

new win7 install
« on: November 20, 2011, 02:10:03 pm »
have 990fxa-ud5 with amd 8150 , gfx570 and 16 gb ram.  successfully moved old winxp pro hard drive.  now want to install brand new retail win7 pro 64 bit on another hard drive.  suggestions greatly appreciated.  should i go to vendor's sites to get drivers or download from gigabyte site?  should i change boot hard drive on post screen? enable ahci in bios before install win7? bios has been upgraded already.  tia
obxeye

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: new win7 install
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 02:30:06 pm »
Hi there,

personally I always download the latest drivers for the motherboard from the Gigabyte website and you will need the following:

AMD Chipset Driver
Realtek LAN
Etron USB3.0
Realtek Function Driver (for audio)

From the NVidia website download the latest drivers for your card.

I would set the SATA controller to AHCI before installing the OS for the HDD's. Attach this to the SATA3_0 port on the motherboard and set OnChip SATA type to AHCI

For your DVD/CD drive(s) use the Marvell SATA ports labelled GSATA3_6 & 7 and set the GSATA controller in BIOS to IDE.

If you haven't already done so you might like to have a look through this thread: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,5704.msg45814.html#msg45814 where I go into some detail about putting things together on the GA-990FXA-UD5 and BIOS settings.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

obxeye

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 03:51:42 pm »
thanks greatly for reply absic.
ok, i have the drivers and video driver downloaded and ready to go.
do i need any of the sata/raid drivers?  will not be doing a raid array.
i have a serial dvd/cd and that should go to gsata3_6 with gsata controller in bios set to ide?
i have an addonics hot swap hard drive enclosure and this will need the ahci.  where to plug?
have 3 hard drives.  winxp, win7 and data.  these should be plugged into sata3_0, sata3_1 and sata3_2? and should do Integrated Peripherals set OnChip SATA Type to AHCI and OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Type to As SATA Type
read the thread on putting it all together and probably do not understand all or i would not be asking the above questions.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 04:09:47 pm »
You don't need any specific drivers for AHCI mode and I always install using the standard Microsoft ones as these seem to be the best.

i have a serial dvd/cd and that should go to gsata3_6 with gsata controller in bios set to ide?
Yes

have 3 hard drives.  winxp, win7 and data.  these should be plugged into sata3_0, sata3_1 and sata3_2? and should do Integrated Peripherals set OnChip SATA Type to AHCI and OnChip SATA Port 4/5 Type to As SATA Type
yes but I would only attach the Win7 Drive (and DVD/CD) whilst installing the OS then add the other drives once the OS is up and running

Not sure about the addonics device can you post a link so I can check it out?
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

obxeye

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 04:29:45 pm »

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 04:36:01 pm »
You can attach the cable from this to one of the SATA3 (AMD) ports on the motherboard.

You will need to change the setting for OnChip SATA Port as ESP to enabled for the port that you attach the cable to.

obxeye

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 04:39:13 pm »
thank you!

obxeye

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 04:43:00 pm »
do i need sata/raid driver(s)?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 04:48:20 pm »
no just use the Microsoft version that are installed automatically when you install Windows 7

obxeye

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 06:13:02 pm »
ok