Official GIGABYTE Forum

sata driver

obxeye

sata driver
« on: November 20, 2011, 10:13:33 pm »
pardon my stupidity but do i have to install sata driver for 990fxa-ud5 from this folder

i moved an xppro install and deleted old drivers and this is what device manager looks like

thanks for your patience.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
Re: sata driver
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 07:25:46 am »
Hi

You only need to install the GSATA driver if you are using that port controller, in other words you have something connected to the ports that are called GSATA. Don't worry about how the ports are displayed in Device Manager.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 09:22:01 am »
If you are running the GSATA controller in IDE mode, as I suggested in your other thread (about Windows 7) then the answer is no. You do not need to install the drivers when running with windows XP.

Looking at the second image, everything seems fine in Device Manager and the only time you need to worry is if you get an big yellow exclamation mark or a big red question mark showing here.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

obxeye

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 12:22:31 pm »
thanks for all the replies.  looks like i won't have ahci on my xp drive.  i enabled ahci in bios to install win 7 on a separate drive and that is ok.  but i must disable it in bios if i boot to my xp drive.  i looked at the web site on how to get ahci running in a already installed xp
If you are running Windows XP things are a little trickier but here is a really useful guide that shows you the steps you need to take: http://www.bootbeta.com/blog/guide-enable-ahci-in-windows-xp-after-installation.html
but no joy.
i'll eventually get all my programs installed on the win 7 drive so won't be a problem. i clone my hard drive to another drive that i remove once a week and that is why i needed the "hot swap" capability. i keep all my data, mp3 and photo collection on another drive that i also clone.  my last build was done on a k8n diamond plus that has an nvidia chip.  don't remember it my xp install on that board took advantage of ahci or was there automagically.  that was over 6 years ago. again, thanks for help and i'll probably have questions in the future.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 12:35:35 pm »
Hi again,

I have to say that I have forgotten so much about XP that I can't remember all the ins and outs of this when it comes to enabling AHCI mode.
As it happens, I will be reconfiguring my system, sometime over the next few days and if it will help, I can take this opportunity to install windows XP Professional on my own system in an effort to answer the questions you have about this.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

Steve66a

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 01:41:36 pm »

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci   

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV

In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

This might work! There's something that looks like this in XP, I just don't remember. If both Msahic & IastorV both exist they both need to be modified ( at least 1 of them should be there ). What I do remember, there was a downloadable registry fix for this issue..... could have been 5 years ago

obxeye

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 09:24:53 pm »
neither one of those registry entries are present.  they probably would be if ahci was installed with xp.

obxeye

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:02:04 pm »
let us know how the install goes absic

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 12:22:14 pm »
As a matter of interest, did you try installing Windows XP in AHCI Mode rather than IDE Mode?

Steve66a

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 05:55:55 pm »
Abasic, I don't think you can install XP without AHCI drivers. Floppy or flash drive would be needed w/drivers. Maybe an XP repair & add the driver???

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 06:07:16 pm »
For the life of me I can't remember and there is a pre-install driver for RAID/AHCI for XP on the download page so you should be able to do so.

Anyway, I will be trying this out, probably Thursday or Friday so I will know for sure then!  ;D

obxeye

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 11:31:44 pm »
my whole problem is that it was an xp move and not install.  built the new system and then moved the xp hard drive with already installed os and programs.  now getting the win 7 hard drive organized and will eventually shut down the xp one.  i wanted the ahci to be present on the xp drive.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 08:26:38 am »
Hi obxeye,

OK, after spending several hours yesterday trying to enable AHCI mode after installing Windows XP (SP3) in Native IDE Mode I have to admit a temporary defeat! For the life of me I couldn't do so despite trying various "How To's" and grabbing different AMD AHCI drivers to try and force a change I just couldn't succeed.

I could install windows XP in AHCI Mode without a problem using F6 to install the AHCI driver during Windows installation, but trying to force the same AHCI driver, onto the system in IDE mode gave me the message "No supported hardware for this driver".

Sadly, I ran out of time that I could spend on this issue yesterday but I will make the time to look into this subject further to try and find a definite answer one way or the other but, at the moment I have to say that I'm now, not so sure it can be done. All of the "How To's I found whilst searching are based on the Intel Platform which really doesn't help.

If anyone else knows a way to do this on the AMD platform or can give some insights of the best way to go and can point me in the right direction I would appreciate any help as I would hate to be beaten by this.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 09:00:06 am »
my whole problem is that it was an xp move and not install.  built the new system and then moved the xp hard drive with already installed os and programs.  now getting the win 7 hard drive organized and will eventually shut down the xp one.  i wanted the ahci to be present on the xp drive.

What you tried to do was doomed to failure before you even started. You can't just put an old hard drive with all the OS and programs into a newly built system and expect it to work. THe hardware is all diffewrent for a start and there are other problems too.
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

obxeye

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 12:49:01 am »
was out of the country and reason for late reply.  not a problem.  i now have win 7 up and running with hot swap enabled and working.  i can load my old xp drive and access all that i need so won't be relying on it to boot.  it was only going to be a temporary need anyway.  thanks for all the input and effort.