Official GIGABYTE Forum

RAID5 plus SSD GA-990XA-UD3

RAID5 plus SSD GA-990XA-UD3
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:52:27 am »
Hello,

I am trying to run 1 Solid State drive along side of 3 x 1.5TB HDD in a RAID5 configuration. I understand that the SATA ports on this board(GA-990XA-UD3) are separated to run and be configured 1)all as SATA type, 2)all as IDE type, or 3)SATA ports 0/1/2/3 as SATA and SATA ports 4/5 as IDE. per the BIOS "OnChip SATA Type options.

My question is, What configuration should I run and which port should I be installing my SSD to without it having complications in the long run?

My apologies if this is a redundant thread. I search and found nothing relevant.

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
Re: RAID5 plus SSD GA-990XA-UD3
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 07:51:02 am »
Hi there,

assuming that you wish to install the OS onto the SSD and have the RAID5 as storage then....
Attach the SSD to the SATA3_0 port
Attach DVD/CD drive to SATA3_4
Set SATA controller to RAID and SATA 4/5 ports to IDE
Install the OS onto the SSD and install any needed motherboard drivers. once complete shut down the PC
Attach the 3 drives for the RAID 5 Array to SATA3_1-3
Build RAID Array
Restart PC and install AMD RAID Drivers, reboot and everything should be fine

Just read your other post about using a Blueray DVD Drive. It would be better if you disconnect this during Windows install and use either a USB Pendrive or standard DVD/CD drive. You shouldn't need to add any drivers during the Windows installation as the SSD will be running in AHCI Mode.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:02:31 am by absic »
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 03:30:39 pm »
First let me start by saying, absic you are brilliant...I am [and I'm sure many others as well] very grateful  for your help. Thanks for sharing the knowledge overall.

I am indeed installing the OS onto the SSD. Ok so last night I got it all running before reading your reply. I disconnected the Blue Ray, but then was able to successfully use the blue ray after I created the RAID. I couldn't see the RAID until I installed the RAID drivers within Windows7.  The RAID5 array physical drives were placed precisely on SATA_1-3, and the blue ray is on SATA3 5, I did however install the SSD onto SATA3_4.

It seems to be running fine, but do you think I will run into any issues? (eg. no 6.0Gbit/s speed)

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 08:09:45 pm »
Did you install Windows in AHCI mode or IDE mode?

If you installed in AHCI Mode then you have no need to worry.

However if you installed the OS in IDE mode this can have an effect on an SSD over a period of time. If you did install in IDE Mode don't worry, just use the Registry Tweak in this FAQ: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,6721.0.html and once you have enabled AHCI Mode on the SSD, shutdown the PC move the SSD to the SATA3_0 port restart the PC go into BIOS and check the BOOT Priority order to make sure the SSD is first in the list, press F10 to save and Exit and when the PC BOOT's you should be fine.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:01:20 pm »
When I set the type to AHCI, RAID5 is disabled. Is this a misconception on my part?

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 08:07:40 am »
Yes, if you switch to AHCI Mode then RAID is disabled. But running the SATA controller in RAID Mode means that any drives not part of the RAID Array will run in AHCI Mode. Unlike on the Intel platform though, there is no TRIM pass through to the SSD when you are running a RAID array

So setting the SATA3 controller to RAID and attaching the drives to ports 0-3 with 1xSSD and a three disk RAID5 Array is fine, as the SSD will use garbage collection, when the drive is idle to keep things healthy.

What you don't really want to do, is end up with the SSD running in IDE Mode.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:10:57 am »
Thank you ABSIC, I switched the SSD to port SATA3_0 and it is running Fantastic!!! It literately loads windows at the blink of an eye. Thanks again.

absic

• Bandcamp
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 11:14:36 am »
No problem and pleased to have been able to help.  :D