Official GIGABYTE Forum

Core Unlocker 990XA-UD3 missed???

gbfan

Core Unlocker 990XA-UD3 missed???
« on: March 26, 2012, 06:54:30 pm »
Hi guys, I've recently purchased this motherboard ( MA990XA-UD3) which supposedly cames with Core Unlock feature in its BIOS.
Well it certainly comes, but with a lil difference from other MoBos i've tried before (many ones)... It wont works!

No one core unlocked (of course, using tested unlockable processors)
4 Phenoms II 560
1 Phenom II 550
1 Phenom II 555
1 Phenom II 960T...
No one.

So what the heck you've done with Unlocking Cores feature in this motherboard?

Gigabyte Motherboards tested with success:
MA790X-UD4P
MA790XT-UD4P

Other Brands:
ASUS
ASROCK

Clues???

gbfan

Re: Core Unlocker 990XA-UD3 missed???
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:56:31 am »
Hi again, I dont really knows if this topic fits here but I think its not related to OC or whatever.
Im just diggin on some feature which clearly is a failure in actual bios releases.
If the motherboards ads says "Unlocking cores feature", and I try a tested unlockable processor on it, and it wont go err...
Something smells bad.  >:(

So again, anybody have an idea whats going on? Why my supposedly 990x unlocker cores MoBo wont show me the other working cores?  ???

I repeat, the precessors tested unlocks flawlessly in other Gigabyte motherboard chipset (also another brands).  ::)

Thanks.

gbfan

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:09:36 pm »
Bump

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »
Hi there,

Hi again, I dont really knows if this topic fits here but I think its not related to OC or whatever.

Core unlocking is actually regarded as O/C'ing as you are asking the processor to do something that it isn't supposed to do according to the manufacturer, which is why I moved it here.

As to why you are not having success, unlocking the cores on your processor, with this motherboard over other Gigabyte boards I cannot explain and the best advice I can offer is that you contact Gigabyte Technical Support via this link: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/technical-support.aspx?cg=2 and see if they can offer an explanation.

I have to say that from my own experiences, I have found that certain motherboards perform better at core unlocking than others and when I faced a very similar situation the response I got didn't help very much, sorry.

The only practical and anecdotal answer that I and other users have managed to come up with is that Gigabyte seems to set a higher standard, when it comes to core unlocking than other manufacturer's which means the success rate is lower.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

gbfan

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:50:02 pm »
Thanks for your reply Absic.
A qualified answer at least.
If the standards are high, over the rest of the market share, why Gigabyte claims for a supposed unlock success rate which clearly is lower than the rest of the non-high standards manufacturers?
I mean, I will definitely choose an motherboard which offers me a higher success rate of unlocking cores over the other which not, so I couldnt understand that position.
Im my humble opinion, seems something related to a poor ACC coding instructions on BIOS releases, other than that I cannot understand why cheapest motherboards performs pretty good and effortless when unlocking cores scenario vs. my brand new Gigabyte.

Im totally agree with you about the luck of unlocking on different manufacturers but Im talking about Gigabyte products also.

BTW, the hybrid option was removed from the unlocking methods also.

PS: Concerning to the high standard quality, well I have to say that right here in my country (Argentina) the support quality is the worst i ever met. The GTS here is a joke, pointless to send em a ticket.

Seriously thinking about change motherboard's manufacturer next time...  :-\
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 10:12:12 pm by gbfan »

absic

• Never give up; Never surrender!
    • Bandcamp
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 07:41:11 am »
Hi again,

I fully understand your frustration over this issue and it is compounded by the fact that some Gigabyte boards will unlock well whilst others struggle to unlock the same chip.

Also sad to see you have an issue with GTS in Argentina but it is only by enough people informing them of the issues that things will be looked into properly. The only other advice I can offer that might help is to wander over to TweakTown here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/ as they are the site for Gigabyte in America and I know there are some users there who maybe able to actually look at the BIOS versions and see if they can see any issues with it for you.
Remember, when all else fails a cup of tea and a good swear will often help! It won't solve the problem but it will make you feel better.

gbfan

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 04:29:15 pm »
Hi Absic.

Thanks for your kind help. I will take your advice and will keep an eye at Tweaktown.com, but I really doubt things will gonna change.
The fact is this new BIOS comes with some really weird ways to do some things we used to do
Looks like this is a good MoBo with a serious bad unlocking cores karma haha...

So bad cause, I purchase this motherboard thinking on using my rare unlocked surprise processors...sigh.

Dark Mantis

• 10typesofpeopleoneswhoknow binaryandoneswhodont
    • Dark Mantis
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 04:54:53 pm »
I am afraid that absic has got it right and speaks from a lot of experience regarding this unlocking of the extra cores. There have been several threads in the past in which this was looked into at some depth and came to the conclusion that absic stated. I am sorry for your predicament though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:55:34 pm by Dark Mantis »
Gigabyte X58A-UD7
i7 920
Dominators 1600 x6 12GB
6970 2GB
HX850
256GB SSD, Sam 1TB, WDB320GB
Blu-Ray
HAF 932

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
i7 3770K
Vengeance 1600 16GB
6950 2GB
HCP1200W
Revo Drive x2, 1.5TB WDB RAID0
16x DLRW
StrikeX S7
Full water cooling
3 x 27" Iiy

gbfan

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:01:23 am »
I am afraid that absic has got it right and speaks from a lot of experience regarding this unlocking of the extra cores. There have been several threads in the past in which this was looked into at some depth and came to the conclusion that absic stated. I am sorry for your predicament though.

Yup, Im 100% agree with Absic, but I have no problems at all with previous motherboards, just this new one.
Between us, Im feeling kinda stupid because of trusting blindly in a brand which never let me down before, till now.
Maybe its my fault, maybe I set the bar too high... dont know.
Right now Im sick about this forums rally trying to find out some decent answer.
The only place which I've found real feedback was here, in a non-local forum (what a shame for the worldwide support), with people miles away from my real location which btw offers ZERO feedback and knowlegde about what I was talking about, sad.
Its amazing the fact that if right here we cannot make it work (not even a workaround), this isnt the right place to ask for. So Im seriously wondering... where then?

Next step, try to make a deal with anybody and get rid of this motherboard.
Second step: find out a good one.
Third one: learn from this experience: "Dont get married with Brands, they will cheat on you, sooner or later"

Thanks for your time fellas! Kudos for both.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:17:38 am by gbfan »

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 08:39:47 pm »
I suspected something is wrong with the core unlock with this board when I disabled all cores except 0 (which cant be disabled) and windows did not boot. Gbfans's post comes to confirm this. However, I would rather get a new cpu, than risking getting a new board which might would not unlock my cpu, also.